996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Transmission Mount Insert

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 12:14 AM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !

Last edited by cjv; 05-14-2010 at 12:16 AM.
Old 05-14-2010, 01:02 AM
LamboTT has a spectacular aura aboutLamboTT has a spectacular aura about
If I just swap the tranny mouny will that help the tranny shift smoother as its not moving as much?

Old 05-14-2010, 05:39 AM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Soundeffects
If I just swap the tranny mouny will that help the tranny shift smoother as its not moving as much?
Under cornering yes. It's not moving much in a straight line anyways.

Old 05-15-2010, 05:38 PM
heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !heavychevy Is a GOD !
Got the mount installed today and wanted to give some feedback on it. It's very race car like in the sound of it. You can hear everything in the back of the car. Think about having the clutch in the back seat.....

It works for me, and is very solid. But heed the warnings, this is not for DD, street driving, or people that can't take noise.

Sounds like a LWFW on steroids.

But thanks to Eric for getting it done and here on time. It's great for the track, shifts are smooth and easy.

Old 05-16-2010, 08:17 AM
JeremyS is infamous around these parts
I figured that these would be quite noisy, but didn't want to **** on anyone's parade.

I recently installed the 997 mount, and in the process I decided to make delrin versions of the little foam spacers that sit between the trans and the side of the trans mount. Those spacers are there to stop the transmission from rubbing on the mount housing (metal to metal) under cornering, and presumably to keep things quiet under the same conditions. Thinking that maximum lateral drivetrain stability would be a good thing, I machined the spacers for 0 clearance. They are sandwiched between the trans and the mount, effectively making for a solid lateral mounting arrangement. Well, like heavychevy said, it amplifies the LWFW clatter by an order of magnitude, and brings it inside the cabin. With my car being a GT2 and having no real sound deadening, it's like having a cement mixer running in the back seat area. Especially under light acceleration.

So, if you're at all sensitive about noise, or if the usual LWFW clatter bothers you, I'd think twice about a solid mounting arrangement. If you're OK with the noise, go for it. Even with my semi-solid mount, the car is much easier to launch and shifts feel more solid.

Old 05-16-2010, 09:49 AM
Mad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Erik@GBox
Yep you would need a press for these and I would be concerned with getting the new mounts installed correctly without damaging them. I would be happy to sell you the complete unit though without core for $375.00 USD plus shipping. That way you would not have to worry about sending your core back to me.

Let me know if this will work for you.

Erik Johnson
GBox Performance Transaxle
(303) 440-8899 work
(303) 895-4828 cell
www.gboxweb.com
mail@gboxweb.com
thanks for the offer. will try the 997 mount that I already got first and see if it helps. bit difficult to get into 2nd under hard braking and hard cornering.

In meantime, believe you already have my address from the 2nd gear pop out fix. Could you PM me shipping cost on that? thanks!

Old 05-16-2010, 09:51 AM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by JeremyS
I figured that these would be quite noisy, but didn't want to **** on anyone's parade.

I recently installed the 997 mount, and in the process I decided to make delrin versions of the little foam spacers that sit between the trans and the side of the trans mount. Those spacers are there to stop the transmission from rubbing on the mount housing (metal to metal) under cornering, and presumably to keep things quiet under the same conditions. Thinking that maximum lateral drivetrain stability would be a good thing, I machined the spacers for 0 clearance. They are sandwiched between the trans and the mount, effectively making for a solid lateral mounting arrangement. Well, like heavychevy said, it amplifies the LWFW clatter by an order of magnitude, and brings it inside the cabin. With my car being a GT2 and having no real sound deadening, it's like having a cement mixer running in the back seat area. Especially under light acceleration.

So, if you're at all sensitive about noise, or if the usual LWFW clatter bothers you, I'd think twice about a solid mounting arrangement. If you're OK with the noise, go for it. Even with my semi-solid mount, the car is much easier to launch and shifts feel more solid.
Noise and top performance does go together. When we did this about six years ago we found the clutch noises (that were never heard before) were now there.

One of the members here, Big Bad Ben, used the same mounts after and promptly removed them due to the noise. Yes, the noise is a bit much, however if you are looking for better performance and can tolerate the noise, they are great.

Old 05-16-2010, 09:53 AM
Mad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by heavychevy
Got the mount installed today and wanted to give some feedback on it. It's very race car like in the sound of it. You can hear everything in the back of the car. Think about having the clutch in the back seat.....

It works for me, and is very solid. But heed the warnings, this is not for DD, street driving, or people that can't take noise.

Sounds like a LWFW on steroids.

But thanks to Eric for getting it done and here on time. It's great for the track, shifts are smooth and easy.
haha...

thanks for update.

do you guys think changing the engine mounts to hard bushings but not the tranny mount would cause extra loading on the tranny mount and worsen shifting under G-loads?

Old 05-16-2010, 10:49 AM
Originally Posted by Mad Ness
haha...

thanks for update.

do you guys think changing the engine mounts to hard bushings but not the tranny mount would cause extra loading on the tranny mount and worsen shifting under G-loads?
If you watch someone take out a transmission or engine for that matter, you will see that the two are basically one unit that are connected together. Adding stability to one will help the other as they won't be trying to pull apart from one another and possibly moving in different directions as much at times.

This is my opinion from watching the process, but stabilizing one can only help the other as now you are eliminating some movement of one of the components.. Obviously, doing both would be more beneficial.

The transmission mount serves as support for the engine as well, so it will always be beneficial. Like I said before, with rubber bushings, it's entirely possible to have the engine porpoising one way and the tranny another creating strain, so narrowing movent on the ends would be great, but the trans mount is somewhat central to the connection and therefore the most beneficial.

I could be completely wrong, this is an educated guess.

Old 05-17-2010, 01:06 PM
Mgib is a splendid one to beholdMgib is a splendid one to beholdMgib is a splendid one to beholdMgib is a splendid one to beholdMgib is a splendid one to beholdMgib is a splendid one to beholdMgib is a splendid one to behold
+1 heavy chevy. On my early race car, I have solid transmission mounts, but a clubsport mount for the motor. A little give with the motor is recommended by most race shops.

Old 06-02-2011, 02:36 PM
snopdog911 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Mad Ness
thanks for the offer. will try the 997 mount that I already got first and see if it helps. bit difficult to get into 2nd under hard braking and hard cornering.

In meantime, believe you already have my address from the 2nd gear pop out fix. Could you PM me shipping cost on that? thanks!

i had the same problem. couldnt get into 2nd gear. but i got a grinding noise when trying to get in to 2nd. did you get the same?

Old 11-02-2011, 07:29 PM
vrracr is infamous around these parts
Erik, I left you a message today. Please contact me RE your transmission mount solution. Thank you.

Old 12-28-2011, 10:37 PM
awdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant futureawdbiturbo1 has a brilliant future
Any current updates on this product? Any videos showing how loud the vibration is?