996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Next mod - vehicle theft prevention mod!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 09:34 AM
Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ard
Doesn't the Lojack system in the car need to be activated to get that 'last known location'?

There are two separate technologies in LoJack too- a GPS receiver that tells the car where it is (or the lojack receiver in the car) as well as a cell/radio system that tells the outside world what the car knows.

If the car is taken and hidden, or disarmed, BEFORE the LoJack is activated, there will be no record that can be 'read' (other than within the car that is now disabled).

The only way for lojack to overcome this is for it to be streaming position data to a "non car location" even before it is reported stolen. So that when it is reported, lojack and look at the recorded data in their servers and find where it WAS. Privacy issues I'd imagine...I don't want my position (and hence speed) recorded anywhere other than places under my control.

A
Once activated, the LoJack sends a continuous homing signal. It could take precious time locating and identifying the unit vs. letting the car "cool off".

The basic LoJack system is a continuous radio signal that policed equipped vehicles can locate once a stolen vehicle report is made. LA is their biggest market with massive police support. It does not give coordinates or time/distance calculations, just a signal strength meter. It is quite simple but clever.

The GPS is an upgrade option that we'll all aware of, both positives and negatives. I would guess it would be easier to disable since it needs a "line-of-sight" antennae to operate.