996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Fix rear wing solution

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 11:17 AM
paulycw is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Steve Theodore
Sorry to hear of the bad (expected) luck!

The seller is a terrific communicator, and got back to me that the entire weight loss would probably be about 6-8 pounds, depending on the weight of the hydraulic fluid itself. I do appreciate the fact that he was very forthcoming about this and took the time to further quantify what he meant when I questioned the 12 pound net loss figure (which he admitted to quoting from 6speedonline numbers). Could you tell me what you mean by the 'extended' kit please?
The same eBay seller sells a kit that extends the wing a couple inches higher than the "regular" kit. I recall the extended kit is $175 rather than $150, so not much difference in price.

Old 12-07-2011, 11:29 AM
Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !
Just in case you know the answer, do you know if the 'extended kit' can be retracted down to the full lowered factory position, or is this no longer possible when you go to the longest version of the kit? I know that his standard kit can. Obviously, I'll send him a message if you don't know the answer, and thanks for your time.

Old 12-07-2011, 11:34 AM
Just in case you know the answer, do you know if the 'extended kit' can be retracted down to the full lowered factory position, or is this no longer possible when you go to the longest version of the kit? I know that his standard kit can. Obviously, I'll send him a message if you don't know the answer, and thanks for your time.
Not sure whether the extended kit can be set to the fully lowered position.

Off topic but, I also had a set of Fikse Profil 13's wheels in GT2 size with Ralph Boothe center caps. Sold them a few years ago, and miss them.

Old 12-07-2011, 11:37 AM
Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by paulycw
Not sure whether the extended kit can be set to the fully lowered position.

Off topic but, I also had a set of Fikse Profil 13's wheels in GT2 size with Ralph Boothe center caps. Sold them a few years ago, and miss them.
Thank you paulycw...I'll contact him again and share the information here when I get it since some others might like to know.

Regarding the wheels, I have a love/hate relationship with them due to how difficult it is to clean them. I may want to sell them at some point, so will keep you in mind and send you a PM in case you're interested (when that time comes). Take care!

Old 12-07-2011, 11:43 AM
biobanker is infamous around these parts
I dont know if the rams can be fully retracted with the extra long kit. I was wondering that but asked the seller if there was any downside to the longer vs regular kit - he said no, so I took that as meaning that the spoiler could be fully retracted; his ad doesnt say that it cannot and I would think that it should if it doesnt fully retract.

It seems that Im the first to purchase the kit. Ill post pics!

Agree that the seller is an excellent communicator but I do hope that it retracts fully.

Old 12-07-2011, 11:56 AM
What do you guys think of leaving the spoiler in the fully down position on a regular basis.

I realize that would reduce the down force at high speeds but for those driving on the highway is that really a cause for concern?

Old 12-07-2011, 12:40 PM
Originally Posted by paulycw
What do you guys think of leaving the spoiler in the fully down position on a regular basis.

I realize that would reduce the down force at high speeds but for those driving on the highway is that really a cause for concern?
That's exactly what I've done for about 2 years. I leave the wing down in the lowered position (I disabled it by pulling the wires, no error lights whatsoever on my 2001). I've had no problems at all at any point in time with this configuration, but I don't track the car and, although I have been known to hit triple digit speeds, I don't run the car as fast/hard as some.

Old 12-07-2011, 06:25 PM
OK, I got my answers back from the seller, and just wanted to share them here for the benefit of others on the thread considering the same purchase.

First, the questions (from me):

1. How much taller does it allow you to raise the stock rear wing?
2. Can it still be manually lowered to the factory lowest configuration if you so desire?
3. How much more does the extended kit weigh, relative to your normal kit?

Here are the answers (from him):

1. It's roughly 1.5" higher than stock.
2. Not quite Lowest, but .75" above "factory lowest" (and anywhere in between).
3. Negligible weight difference between the two.

I do accept returns if you get it and think it is not for you. In the 60 or so kits that I have sold, only one came back (the car sold before he installed it).

Old 12-08-2011, 11:56 AM
MikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant future
OK, I got my answers back from the seller, and just wanted to share them here for the benefit of others on the thread considering the same purchase.

First, the questions (from me):

1. How much taller does it allow you to raise the stock rear wing?
2. Can it still be manually lowered to the factory lowest configuration if you so desire?
3. How much more does the extended kit weigh, relative to your normal kit?

Here are the answers (from him):
Thanks for your feedback here, it is much appreciated! My spoiler is still working perfectly fine on my 02, but I realize it's only a matter of time, and I also prefer the look of the extended postition always as well.

Those who have bought this and installed it, please post some pics and feedback . I might have to add this as a nice Christmas present on my list .

ETA: I'm assuming these are perfectly stable still, and do not vibrate or rattle, especially the extended wing? I can't decide which to go with...

Last edited by MikeR397; 12-08-2011 at 12:04 PM.
Old 12-09-2011, 07:22 PM
MikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant future
My hydraulics/ram are still working fine, but I prefer the fixed up position. Anyone know if the hydraulics/ram parts are easily salvageable with this installation and I can sell those parts to someone looking to have that functionality back? If so, what do you think a fair value would be?

Old 12-09-2011, 08:26 PM
nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !
I machined a kit and installed it in my rams to make them fully extended. I've run them that way for about 6 months. Now I'm tired of the wing altogether and I'd like to shelf it. If I remove it and the rams, I'll still have holes in the ducktail on the rear deck. I'll need to figure out a clean way to make an eliptical concave plug that lies flush with the top surface. I've seen posts where people remove the upper spoiler for more ultra high speed stability runs of +200 mph so I'm sure there wouldn't be a problem of running without it. The upper adds down force on the rear of the car and at the same time lightens the front causing front float, more at higher speeds. Without the movable upper I think it gives a hint of the '73 Carrera RS only with a fat rear. Since having my Turbo, I've noticed most every make has several models with rear spoilers and definately a must have if you're newly into customizing a late '80s, early '90s anything. I already removed the chrome Turbo emblem and replaced it with a black 911, now I think it's time for the upper rear wing to go. Call me __________, but to me in most things, less is more.

Old 12-09-2011, 09:06 PM
Originally Posted by nick49
I machined a kit and installed it in my rams to make them fully extended. I've run them that way for about 6 months. Now I'm tired of the wing altogether and I'd like to shelf it. If I remove it and the rams, I'll still have holes in the ducktail on the rear deck. I'll need to figure out a clean way to make an eliptical concave plug that lies flush with the top surface. I've seen posts where people remove the upper spoiler for more ultra high speed stability runs of +200 mph so I'm sure there wouldn't be a problem of running without it. The upper adds down force on the rear of the car and at the same time lightens the front causing front float, more at higher speeds. Without the movable upper I think it gives a hint of the '73 Carrera RS only with a fat rear. Since having my Turbo, I've noticed most every make has several models with rear spoilers and definately a must have if you're newly into customizing a late '80s, early '90s anything. I already removed the chrome Turbo emblem and replaced it with a black 911, now I think it's time for the upper rear wing to go. Call me __________, but to me in most things, less is more.
Hey Nick,

Interesting idea to say the least, and not one I've heard of before. Please let us know how it turns out, what you do to solve the problem of the holes, and I'd really love to know how much weight you save by doing the full removal of the wing of course. Best wishes on your project, and I'm a fan of the flattened ducktail myself (one reason I prefer my wing in the down position).

Old 12-30-2011, 04:32 PM
ttpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond repute
Well, it seems that my motor unit died, but the rams are fine. The whole thing was replaced about 6 months out of the porsche parts warranty (grrr).

Anyhow, anybody who has removed the hydraulic motor removed looking to unload the part?

Last edited by ttpopo; 12-30-2011 at 08:14 PM.
Old 01-06-2012, 11:09 AM
911mike is infamous around these parts
Spoiler Options

Check this out...mechanically adjusted rear spoiler rams. great idea!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsc...item1c21e95e74

Originally Posted by ttpopo
Well, it seems that my motor unit died, but the rams are fine. The whole thing was replaced about 6 months out of the porsche parts warranty (grrr).

Anyhow, anybody who has removed the hydraulic motor removed looking to unload the part?

Old 01-06-2012, 11:13 AM
In case it's not clear, that's the same kit we were talking about a month ago in this very thread.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Fix rear wing solution