996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Brake Disc Life

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 10:34 AM
RCH
Banned
RCH is just really niceRCH is just really niceRCH is just really niceRCH is just really niceRCH is just really nice
Brake Disc Life

So I have just ordered a full set of Pagid RS29 Yellow Pads from Dan @ Vivid (seriously high end for brake pads ! OEM on GT3) now my front brake discs were replaced at circa 30,000 miles and on my rear brake discs (40,000 miles) there is a noticeable lip on the edge of the disc, where it has worn down since new BUT the rear disc itself is perfectly smooth. Should I replace the rear discs too now with the new pads or can they last much longer ?? My front discs were only replaced as on a long trip the pads went down to the limit and grooved (blame my Porsche Dealer for that!)

Last edited by RCH; 05-17-2010 at 11:01 AM.
Old 05-17-2010, 11:29 AM
RCH
Banned
RCH is just really niceRCH is just really niceRCH is just really niceRCH is just really niceRCH is just really nice
Discs = Rotors

Old 05-17-2010, 11:43 AM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
It's better to bed new pads on old rotors, don't ask me why because i don't know, but that is what I've read from a number of brake sites. Now as far as the rear rotors, smoothness or a lip is not the issue, but disc thickness and cracking between the holes is. Have this checked out and then make your decision.

Old 05-17-2010, 11:55 AM
RCH
Banned
Landjet that is very helpful assistance tx. Sir

Old 05-17-2010, 12:25 PM
alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by landjet
It's better to bed new pads on old rotors, don't ask me why because i don't know, but that is what I've read from a number of brake sites. Now as far as the rear rotors, smoothness or a lip is not the issue, but disc thickness and cracking between the holes is. Have this checked out and then make your decision.
From what i know depends on the cracking between the holes.

Old 05-17-2010, 12:52 PM
RCH
Banned
One can physically see/detect by eye any cracking between the holes ?

Old 05-17-2010, 12:58 PM
FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !
The specs are as follows:

Rotor thickness front: New = 34mm, Wear limit = 32mm
Rotor thickness rear: New = 28mm, Wear limit = 26mm

I recall that the spec is to replace the rotors if cracks are over 7mm long, but I couldn't find that in the manual at the moment.

Edit: If you have to ask, you don't have the cracks. They are quite obvious to the naked eye. They come from heat cycling, so if you don't track your car, you may never see them.

Jon

Old 05-17-2010, 01:12 PM
aroonkl is a jewel in the rougharoonkl is a jewel in the rougharoonkl is a jewel in the rougharoonkl is a jewel in the rough
Only 2mm allowance for wearing.
Originally Posted by FAST FWD
The specs are as follows:

Rotor thickness front: New = 34mm, Wear limit = 32mm
Rotor thickness rear: New = 28mm, Wear limit = 26mm

I recall that the spec is to replace the rotors if cracks are over 7mm long, but I couldn't find that in the manual at the moment.

Edit: If you have to ask, you don't have the cracks. They are quite obvious to the naked eye. They come from heat cycling, so if you don't track your car, you may never see them.

Jon

Old 05-17-2010, 02:14 PM
drhenrock is a splendid one to beholddrhenrock is a splendid one to beholddrhenrock is a splendid one to beholddrhenrock is a splendid one to beholddrhenrock is a splendid one to beholddrhenrock is a splendid one to beholddrhenrock is a splendid one to beholddrhenrock is a splendid one to behold
I agree 2mm of wear can't be right. Cracks are a problem if..

they are thick enough to catch your fingernail. And yes you might not ever see them unless u track the car. If you do check the inside of the rotor as well.

Old 05-17-2010, 02:35 PM
bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by RichardCH
One can physically see/detect by eye any cracking between the holes ?
Absolutely! I'll take a picture of my fronts for you tonight if I remember.

Old 05-17-2010, 02:43 PM
FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by drhenrock
they are thick enough to catch your fingernail. And yes you might not ever see them unless u track the car. If you do check the inside of the rotor as well.
Manual pages attached. No spec on fingernails, just the numbers I put in my first post. I agree that it doesn't seem like much. I usually go by the length of the cracks for replacing mine.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Brake_wear_limits.pdf (208.6 KB, 776 views)
Old 05-17-2010, 02:45 PM
bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !
Basically when your non-slotted rotors become slotted that would be a good time to change.

Old 05-17-2010, 02:48 PM
Former Vendor
Sales@Champion is a splendid one to beholdSales@Champion is a splendid one to beholdSales@Champion is a splendid one to beholdSales@Champion is a splendid one to beholdSales@Champion is a splendid one to beholdSales@Champion is a splendid one to beholdSales@Champion is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by RichardCH
So I have just ordered a full set of Pagid RS29 Yellow Pads from Dan @ Vivid (seriously high end for brake pads ! OEM on GT3) now my front brake discs were replaced at circa 30,000 miles and on my rear brake discs (40,000 miles) there is a noticeable lip on the edge of the disc, where it has worn down since new BUT the rear disc itself is perfectly smooth. Should I replace the rear discs too now with the new pads or can they last much longer ?? My front discs were only replaced as on a long trip the pads went down to the limit and grooved (blame my Porsche Dealer for that!)

I would recommend a set of GircoDisc slotted rotors for your particular application. They will provide much better braking and the wear tolerances are also much greater then the OE rotors are well.

** The image displayed ( slotted & drilled )

Please pm me for details and pricing

Old 05-17-2010, 02:51 PM
boca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really niceboca996tt is just really nice
champion.. whats the price of those rotors?

Old 05-17-2010, 06:45 PM
Frissen has much to be proud ofFrissen has much to be proud ofFrissen has much to be proud ofFrissen has much to be proud ofFrissen has much to be proud ofFrissen has much to be proud ofFrissen has much to be proud ofFrissen has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Sales@Champion
I would recommend a set of GircoDisc slotted rotors for your particular application. They will provide much better braking and the wear tolerances are also much greater then the OE rotors are well.

** The image displayed ( slotted & drilled )

Please pm me for details and pricing
Are these bolt on items?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Brake Disc Life