996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

The Silver Bullet is coming together . . .

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 04:44 PM
frankster is a name known to allfrankster is a name known to allfrankster is a name known to allfrankster is a name known to allfrankster is a name known to allfrankster is a name known to all
The Silver Bullet is coming together . . .

The parts are in and she's coming together, little by little . . .

Just a couple of side by side comparisons, turbos and plenums.

Attached Images   
Old 05-17-2010, 04:46 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
looking good...
what's the OD size on the inducer? 3" ?

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 05-17-2010, 04:49 PM
frankster is a name known to allfrankster is a name known to allfrankster is a name known to allfrankster is a name known to allfrankster is a name known to allfrankster is a name known to all
3", 6", whatever it takes . . .

Old 05-17-2010, 05:08 PM
My fancy new transmission from Gbox is finally attached . . .

Attached Images  
Old 05-17-2010, 05:10 PM
My Boron Nitride coated exhaust system is ready for install, too . . .

Attached Images  
Old 05-17-2010, 05:50 PM
jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !
Wow Frankster! This looks really good! Can you elaborate on "fancy" transmission???? And why nitride coated? More resistant to corrosion????

Old 05-17-2010, 06:12 PM
By fancy, I guess I mean, "its got the goods!" Polished gears, cryo treatment, external oil lines to feed the synchros, tranny cooler, 997 ssk, and the OS Giken LSD!

The Boron Nitride coating is an experiment. It has 4x the heat retaining of ceramic coating, plus a few other benefits to be named later.

Since boron is the material used to control nuclear reactors, I thought I would call it something like, "nuclear exhaust" or some other cheesy reference.

Old 05-17-2010, 06:28 PM
jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !
Ok thanks for the info and keep us up to date with this "experimental", project!!!! I have to admit it is very interesting...

Old 05-17-2010, 07:05 PM
Since we have a pretty good idea of what to expect from the turbo/ exhaust combo, we coated the exhaust skde of the turbo as well as the exhaust. From there we will know wether or not the coatings made a significant difference in performance.

Old 05-17-2010, 08:16 PM
TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !TXGold Is a GOD !
Looks great. What kind of power are you hoping to put down? What turbo's. I guess your car is the one that's been at Akram's for a while now? Sounds like an interesting set of mod's. I was thinking the inducer size was about 221.

Old 05-17-2010, 08:20 PM
Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by TXGold
Looks great. What kind of power are you hoping to put down? What turbo's. I guess your car is the one that's been at Akram's for a while now? Sounds like an interesting set of mod's. I was thinking the inducer size was about 221.
+1 interested in hearing what kind of power its going to make.

Judging by the exhaust housing I'm going to guess those are Alpha 30s?

Old 05-17-2010, 09:10 PM
robmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond reputerobmd99 has a reputation beyond repute
Good luck on your build, you are in good hands when it comes to Akram! I think they just picked up another kick *** mechanic?
Cheers
R

Old 05-17-2010, 09:49 PM
Wow, you guys are good!

Yes, they are alpha 30's. Of course HIGHLY modified. Akram has classified them as "monster" turbos. Todd at protomotive worked some magic on them, just for Akram. He has treated them like some kinda top secret weapon since they came in.

The reason for the modded turbo is the application. We are building a true supercar. I want this car to be a track day car, a street monster, AND a legitimate contender at the TX mile.

Therefore, we needed a big turbo, but we needed as close to zero tolerance turbos as possible. We need them to spool quickly for track days and the street, but we need the big power option for the mile as well as for 60-130 events.

Of course, we are only going for BIG power on ONE of the settings on the boost controller. That is the setting reserved for 60-130 events and the mile. The other two settings are focused on the SHAPE of the power curve for the other applications.

In the development of this project, we came across the BN concept. After much research, thought, and consideration, we decided to go for it. We KNOW boron nitride is VERY strong, it is ULTRA thin (2/10,000 of an inch thick), and has a dry lubricative property that no other coating has. If nothing else, it is a very long lasting protective coating that will protect the parts for as long as I will ever live. But it has the possibility of helping us produce that next level of horsepower that was previously unattainable with 3.6L motor.

That is what we are very excited about. That is why I put so much effort into the transmission. Of course I have upgraded the suspension AND freshened up the brakes for all the "juice" we'll be geeting outta this "nuclear beast".

Old 05-17-2010, 10:13 PM
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by robmd99
Good luck on your build, you are in good hands when it comes to Akram! I think they just picked up another kick *** mechanic?
Cheers
R
Yes, they did! Chris from Auto Technic (?), here in Houston. I spoke with him, briefly, last week. He is also an experienced race car builder!

I will be working with him and Akram on a separate race car project, this summer. I just love going racing!

Old 05-17-2010, 10:16 PM
PS: I apologize for the orange "thumbs down". Total accident. Still getting used to touch keyboards!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: The Silver Bullet is coming together . . .