996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

If you had the chance to do it ALL over again....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 11:47 AM
bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MARKSKI@911tuning
700rwhp set up and call it a day... leave motor stock...
Originally Posted by topgun
I probably would do all over again, but stop with a bolt on 700 kit...
You guys are making me feel good.

Old 05-18-2010, 11:53 AM
BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 007-911
I just wish they made an LSD for Tips. I am happy with a ten second 128-130trap car for daily driving.

They do. Quaife had a unit.

Old 05-18-2010, 12:00 PM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
Pretty much what I have now. I am interested in the Alpha turbos, but they were not available when I went to GT 30's.

Glad I started out w/ a GT2.

Old 05-18-2010, 12:03 PM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
This may sound mercenary, but I would have put myself in a position to buy Arts car.

Old 05-18-2010, 12:04 PM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
One thing I would have done differently was skip the intermediate step when upgrading my suspension. I wasted a few grand on that. If you track your car, skip the lower end shocks and step up to Motons or JRZ's from the get go.

Good to read that a 700 kit is reliable as I'm planning some power upgrades.

Old 05-18-2010, 12:05 PM
Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !
I would have gotten with Boost Logic sooner so I could have been dominating the records even earlier!!! Though honestly since Justin didn't have the standalone together at that point I would still for sure go with EPL. I wish he was around sooner because I would have been working with him even earlier than I already did.

But honestly... I bought the car for it to stay stock and just pimp around. Then I got a chip, then exhaust, and it went to hell from there. Honestly would I do it again? Yes... Unlike a lot of people who build these cars for enjoyment and the occasional romping... I have a major addiction to speed where once I get use to the power I get VERY bored with it. Which is where I am at with my car right now. I'll be 100% honest my 4.89 pass the car didn't feel that strong, but when I nailed the 4th gear shift I thought this has to be it. Then I saw the 4.9 pop up on the display and when I loaded the file on the PC and it read 4.89 I was bouncing off the walls. One other thing that I've always had in me and I don't know why I just like proving stuff can be done when people say it couldn't. When I had my Camaro everyone told me we would never go 8s even after doing the last round of mods. First pass on the n2o (with the n2o kicking on 40-50ft out (stupid RPM pill for my activation switch)) it clicked off an 8.9 @ 151 standing on the rev limiter from the 1000ft on. I love to accomplish stuff that everyone says isn't possible, and it's not for bragging rights... It's more to show people that sometimes you have to think outside the box to get something done...

Old 05-18-2010, 12:05 PM
MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !
I would not change a thing. I bought the car new in 2003 and put a flash in shortly thereafter. I ran it that way until the warranty expired. Then I changed the turbos to Tial A28s, Fabspeed exhaust, and Hitachi MAF on (EVOMS GT610). Ran a 179 at the mile. Then did injectors + EVOMS GT660 and ran 186 at the mile. I then did the EVOMS GT700 + weight reduction and ran 199 at the mile.

I have no plans to change anything more. The clutch is the only thing that has compromised drivability on the street but it has held well for over a year. The block is stock and is also holding up well.
I feel llike the car is very responsive (minimal lag) for the street but has excellent pull up top too. The A28s seem to perform above most 24/18 setups and can be competitive with some GT30 and 20g setups, imo.

If I had it to do all over again, I would do the same mods right off without waiting for warranty to expire...

Old 05-18-2010, 12:09 PM
Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MBailey
I would not change a thing. I bought the car new in 2003 and put a flash in shortly thereafter. I ran it that way until the warranty expired. Then I changed the turbos to Tial A28s, Fabspeed exhaust, and Hitachi MAF on (EVOMS GT610). Ran a 179 at the mile. Then did injectors + EVOMS GT660 and ran 186 at the mile. I then did the EVOMS GT700 + weight reduction and ran 199 at the mile.

I have no plans to change anything more. The clutch is the only thing that has compromised drivability on the street but it has held well for over a year. The block is stock and is also holding up well.
I feel llike the car is very responsive (minimal lag) for the street but has excellent pull up top too. The A28s seem to perform above most 24/18 setups and can be competitive with some GT30 and 20g setups, imo.

If I had it to do all over again, I would do the same mods right off without waiting for warranty to expire...
My 3yr extended warranty got voided after about a year LOL! Luckly I did have a friend (who is still an actual friend) that worked at the dealership that always had me taken care of if anything came up!

Old 05-18-2010, 12:13 PM
MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Powell
My 3yr extended warranty got voided after about a year LOL! Luckly I did have a friend (who is still an actual friend) that worked at the dealership that always had me taken care of if anything came up!
Thats great... You know I have never had anything that needed fixing that was not just wear and tear related or should have been fixed as a recall. (knock on wood!!)...

Old 05-18-2010, 12:22 PM
007-911 has much to be proud of007-911 has much to be proud of007-911 has much to be proud of007-911 has much to be proud of007-911 has much to be proud of007-911 has much to be proud of007-911 has much to be proud of007-911 has much to be proud of007-911 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by VividRacingTX
They do. Quaife had a unit.

Shoot me a price on it!!! Please.

Old 05-18-2010, 12:43 PM
buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Powell
I would have gotten with Boost Logic sooner so I could have been dominating the records even earlier!!! Though honestly since Justin didn't have the standalone together at that point I would still for sure go with EPL. I wish he was around sooner because I would have been working with him even earlier than I already did.

But honestly... I bought the car for it to stay stock and just pimp around. Then I got a chip, then exhaust, and it went to hell from there. Honestly would I do it again? Yes... Unlike a lot of people who build these cars for enjoyment and the occasional romping... I have a major addiction to speed where once I get use to the power I get VERY bored with it. Which is where I am at with my car right now. I'll be 100% honest my 4.89 pass the car didn't feel that strong, but when I nailed the 4th gear shift I thought this has to be it. Then I saw the 4.9 pop up on the display and when I loaded the file on the PC and it read 4.89 I was bouncing off the walls. One other thing that I've always had in me and I don't know why I just like proving stuff can be done when people say it couldn't. When I had my Camaro everyone told me we would never go 8s even after doing the last round of mods. First pass on the n2o (with the n2o kicking on 40-50ft out (stupid RPM pill for my activation switch)) it clicked off an 8.9 @ 151 standing on the rev limiter from the 1000ft on. I love to accomplish stuff that everyone says isn't possible, and it's not for bragging rights... It's more to show people that sometimes you have to think outside the box to get something done...
I bet you can't run 8's in your Porsche!

Just trying to make you prove me wrong! Get out the wallet!

Old 05-18-2010, 12:49 PM
Originally Posted by buddyg
I bet you can't run 8's in your Porsche!

Just trying to make you prove me wrong! Get out the wallet!
Oh how we've joked about the ideas of some how getting a Powerglide to fit in a Porsche, that paired with my antilag setup and my drag radials... It could almost get there (on a stock motor ).

Honestly before I sell it I want to build the motor (will still be a 3.6ltr most likely due to funds), slap some 6262's or something equiv, and try for 1100-1200rwhp. Although my tuner and I (very slightly LOL) agree that we would probably stop at 1100 and some change, mainly because to this date I don't think anyone has made 1200rwhp and we don't know at what point we would start running into problems. Nobody has any actual proof on things, it's all done on paper which doesn't always hold true. Then I would like to shoot for some mid-high 9s @ 160+mph.

Old 05-18-2010, 01:42 PM
langer911 is infamous around these parts
I would drop the 6sp and get a tip for my DD, too much traffic jams on my daily route.

Old 05-18-2010, 01:49 PM
BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by langer911
I would drop the 6sp and get a tip for my DD, too much traffic jams on my daily route.

Yea, the tip makes traffic more bearable for sure.

Old 05-18-2010, 04:02 PM
Patrnflyr has a brilliant futurePatrnflyr has a brilliant futurePatrnflyr has a brilliant futurePatrnflyr has a brilliant futurePatrnflyr has a brilliant futurePatrnflyr has a brilliant futurePatrnflyr has a brilliant futurePatrnflyr has a brilliant futurePatrnflyr has a brilliant futurePatrnflyr has a brilliant futurePatrnflyr has a brilliant future
Is this for all the power grabbers out there or for people like me who think the lightly modded car has plenty of power? I feel woefully inadequate around you all with only 630hp! However, if I was going to do it all over, I'd get a new 997.2 GT3 (non RS) and load it out from the get go through the dealer. I might even consider an RS just for its exclusivity. I've enjoyed modding my turbo out but I like the newer body style a little more and the way I drive, I certainly don't need the turbo except for a status thing...

Just being honest...
John

PS that GT3 test drive a few weeks ago really ruined me!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: If you had the chance to do it ALL over again....