996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

If you had the chance to do it ALL over again....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 09:52 AM
BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !
If you had the chance to do it ALL over again....

As we see evidence of these cars being pushed further and further up in power (stock block and built motors), and with the new turbo and tuning options available now, it leads me to a question. For those of you with power/handling/aero etc modifications to your 996TT, what would you do differently or better the second time around?

Old 05-18-2010, 10:20 AM
MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !MY996TT Is a GOD !
Don't get me wrong, I love my car; but if I knew I was power hungry, I would do...

- a coupe, no cab
- no Tip
- just ask EVOMs to build me a GT2000 and get it over with
- lose 40 lbs of body fat

Old 05-18-2010, 10:25 AM
BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !BlackHorseTurbo Is a GOD !
You know, after I posted this thread, I realized some folks may not want to admit it if they don't like their current set up. We'll see. Thanks for your honesty Eugene.

Old 05-18-2010, 10:29 AM
bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !
I think there are few that will say they may have gone too far with their cars. They are happy with what they have but that their may be more optimal setups. I think the 850-950whp is the magic number for these cars. 950whp is good for a high 4 60-130 and 220 in the mile. That to me is a pretty solid car and this is coming from someone who is happy with "bolt-on" setup.

Old 05-18-2010, 10:36 AM
yes, that's a good point. Some may think they have gone too far already..

Old 05-18-2010, 10:45 AM
Boltz. is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by bmoores
I think there are few that will say they may have gone too far with their cars. They are happy with what they have but that their may be more optimal setups. I think the 850-950whp is the magic number for these cars. 950whp is good for a high 4 60-130 and 220 in the mile. That to me is a pretty solid car and this is coming from someone who is happy with "bolt-on" setup.
Is 950whp really magic? Even if the motor can handle that abuse with absolute reliability, other parts will certainly go out quick at a power level like that IF it is driven regularly, which I hope it would be. My P-car experience is limited, can these cars really handle that much power?

My experience comes from the evo. There are plenty of evos over 9xx whp, and on the internet they appear to be reliable cars, but if you really dig deep you find out that these people are blowing up motors, refreshing motors after ten thousand miles, and are constantly needing services in excess of five thousand dollars if driven regularly.

Please avoid giving me the 'pay to play' speal, because I truly understand that from all of my personal experience. My idea of a street car includes some sense of reliability. If you can't drive 15-20k miles without tearing the motor or trans out then you have a race car, not a street car.

My point in this post is not as concise as I like to be, but I'm curious what people feel these cars can handle reliably.

Old 05-18-2010, 10:53 AM
bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !bmoores Is a GOD !
I think that a well built motor in the 900-950 whp range will be very reliable and will be right on the edge of what I would consider perfect driveability. Some elements of the drivetrain do need to be reinforced if the car is going to be launched hard regularly but most of this platform was developed in motorsports.

Last edited by bmoores; 05-18-2010 at 11:01 AM.
Old 05-18-2010, 10:54 AM
Powell is making 850 on stock block. He runs the **** out of that car too.

Last edited by BlackHorseTurbo; 05-18-2010 at 10:57 AM.
Old 05-18-2010, 10:58 AM
Originally Posted by VividRacingTX
Powell is making 850 on stock block. He runs the **** out of that car too.
Unicorn or Pegasus wiz?

Old 05-18-2010, 11:00 AM
Originally Posted by bmoores
Unicorn or Pegasus wiz?

Liger wiz, which is pretty much my favorite animal.

Old 05-18-2010, 11:13 AM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by VividRacingTX
You know, after I posted this thread, I realized some folks may not want to admit it if they don't like their current set up. We'll see. Thanks for your honesty Eugene.
These cars are great everyday drivers. You modify them you start taking some of that away. On the other hand some want a race car and simply cannot afford both.

I modified mine to see just how far I could take it. I found out with stock internals (at the time) and now testing the waters with unlimited parts. Trouble is, you pass a certain point and you just need to keep going. It's a lot like being on a roller coaster ...... you can't get off until the ride is finished.

Looking back I would keep it stock and just replace it with a newer model when I saw something I liked better.

Last edited by cjv; 05-18-2010 at 11:16 AM.
Old 05-18-2010, 11:15 AM
007-911 has much to be proud of007-911 has much to be proud of007-911 has much to be proud of007-911 has much to be proud of007-911 has much to be proud of007-911 has much to be proud of007-911 has much to be proud of007-911 has much to be proud of007-911 has much to be proud of
I just wish they made an LSD for Tips. I am happy with a ten second 128-130trap car for daily driving.

Old 05-18-2010, 11:19 AM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
700rwhp set up and call it a day... leave motor stock...

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 05-18-2010, 11:31 AM
topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !topgun Is a GOD !
This is a tricky question...When you mod these cars to the extent that some of us have. Especially the one off cars! A lot of money goes to fix the weak links on the drive-train, brakes, suspension, clutch etc. Also last but not least the down time. I think once you go over 700 whp you open up a can of worms. Most of the 7-800 kits from the vendors here have pretty good R&D. Another thing is reliability, I over built my car soup to nuts but in reality 95% of the time the car will be driven on a pump file (even on the road course).

I probably would do all over again, but stop with a bolt on 700 kit...

Old 05-18-2010, 11:39 AM
buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !buddyg Is a GOD !
I am happy with my setup and have built internals at a measley 644 rwhp. My car has been bulletproof for the last 4 years and 20,000 miles since putting the GT700 kit on.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: If you had the chance to do it ALL over again....