996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Bilstein PSS-9's Do Not Mix With GT2 Ride Height - The Write-Up

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-22-2005, 10:24 PM
JakeMate is infamous around these parts
Let's say Bilstein allows for more travel by allowing the shock body to slide in the hub carrier. Don't you think the additional suspension travel will inevitably make something else bottom out that is undesirable? Like the tire hitting the wheel well or some other suspension components to make contact?

I guess this is a good reason for the GT2 to have entirely different suspension components/pickup points.

Have people had problems running GT2 height with the shocks that do allow sliding in the hub carrier? I'll bet if you go even the slightest bit lower on a Turbo, you're in for some problems.

I think Bilstein chose wisely to have their product bottom out, instead of allowing something else to bottom and cause serious damage to the car or endanger the occupants.

Great topic, BTW.

Old 07-16-2006, 10:15 PM
KPV
KPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really nice
And one more resurrection for good luck.

Old 07-16-2006, 11:25 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
I found this thread when I was looking at suspension choices. It's the primary reason I didn't purchase the PSS9's.

Old 07-17-2006, 12:06 AM
JohnnyBeatles is infamous around these parts
I just got my PSS9 done a week ago. You guys have me confused...My car is lowered about 1 inch maybe a tad more but just a tad..are you saying I screwed myself?????
I have never heard this before..always thought this was a good street/(occasional track) setup.
JB

Old 07-17-2006, 02:06 AM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
Very interesting. How do you measure ride height? From the ground to the highest point of the front/rear fender openings?

I've been feeling that my car may be a bit too low.

What's GT2 ride height?

Old 07-17-2006, 01:09 PM
GreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by ari
Very interesting. How do you measure ride height? From the ground to the highest point of the front/rear fender openings?

I've been feeling that my car may be a bit too low.

What's GT2 ride height?
The front is just the bolt head to the ground....ie the lower edge of the hexhead bolt of the tension strut screw connection to body.
Rear is the flat spot on the rear sub frame to the ground.... the locating bore on the the rear axle side section between the toe & camber eccentrics.

At the end of the day, the biggest challenge is finding perfectly flat concrete & getting really small to get under there
As for the GT2 #s question......my file says 113 +-5 on the front and 138 +-5 on the rear......but as we discussed (last year & earlier in this thread) that rear number is not taken from the measure point descibed.
I think I have a pic around here...will post if I can find

Last edited by GreggT; 07-17-2006 at 01:48 PM.
Old 07-17-2006, 04:45 PM
Turbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond reputeTurbochris has a reputation beyond repute
Nothing to worry about, you're fine, the choice you made was fine, your car handles great and you will have a blast on the track with it...just pretend you never saw this thread.......haaha

Chris

Originally Posted by JohnnyBeatles
I just got my PSS9 done a week ago. You guys have me confused...My car is lowered about 1 inch maybe a tad more but just a tad..are you saying I screwed myself?????
I have never heard this before..always thought this was a good street/(occasional track) setup.
JB

Old 07-18-2006, 07:25 AM
Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !Gunther Is a GOD !
I'm getting the PSS9's installed in the next week or two and this is very good information! We now know what ride height not to set the PSS9's at.

Can someone that has a what they think is a good set-up share their information? I'm loking for ride height and any other settings that would be helpful. Do I need to get anything else to make this better (other than Moton's).

Thanks

Old 07-18-2006, 07:32 AM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Gunther
Do I need to get anything else to make this better (other than Moton's).

Thanks
.........JIC.

Old 07-18-2006, 09:12 AM
jayster is infamous around these parts
Follow the instructions in the install guide and you will have ample travel in the (PSS9) suspension, set the rest of the align specs to GT2 and you will be fine. There is a pretty precise explanation on the height ( installed ) on the shocks, I set them up on a bench, and after they are installed i corner weight the car to see how far off everything is, and adjust accordingly. Then align.
Read the instructions, and everyone will be happy.
Jayster.

Old 07-18-2006, 10:07 AM
Banned
Benjamin Choi is infamous around these parts
b r a v o

Old 07-18-2006, 03:12 PM
02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by 20C4S
ken's post is always very informative & practical. however, there are few side notes i'd love to add. since our selection is narrow down to the following:

JIC
Bilstein PSS-9 (including Techart, Ruf)
Moton
JRZ
H&R (spring & coilover)
Eibach
KW
X73
Euro M030

based on the above 9+ options, their price difference is from anywhere south of 400 to north of 6,000. therefore, which suspension is best for the car, the answer will be which one fits the driver's need the most.

from my experience, 7 out of 10 customers will not know the difference between the above 9 options. so the key factor is really depends on who's selling it & who's installing it. here are the common problems we've experienced (not in particular order):

1. Customers drive in with a car that's never been aligned after suspension work.
2. Customers drive in with a car that's been poorly aligned & already cause potential damage to both suspension & car.
3. Customers want corner balancing without knowing what is it & were only told to do so.
4. Customers want to spend the top dollar for something they'll ever need.
5. Customers want to spend the least money but don't care about the end result.
6. Customers want to drop the car beyond certain point which exceed the limit of the particular suspension.
7. all of above plus 8, 9 ,10...

our goal, as many as other shops out there, is to insure customers spend the right money to get the best result of their need. we need to guide them to the right way otherwise they will never mod the car again for countless hassle. at the end it's not just about buying one suspension & making one choice. it's about telling the positive feedback of that particular set up was recommended.

up to date, 90% of the customers report back 100% positive feedback of the PSS9s & other suspensions we've installed. the rest 10% have been guided to the GT direction including myself because i found trying to make apple to orange is simply pointless. all being said, majority of people only wants to improve the handling while achieve the certain lowered look, then u can't argue with PSS9.

hope this help for someone is making decision on suspension because not everyone is expert & no expert knows everything.

people should read this...

Old 09-19-2006, 01:37 AM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
So basically Pss9s are best at stock ride height?

I have posted a few times about my car feeling very unsettled on uneven sufaces while cornering. Boucing off teh bumstops is a good way of describing it.

While we're at it: how much of the travel is used up by the soft "helper spring"?

Anyone want to measure at the top of the fender openings? It seems so much simpler..

Last edited by Turbo Fanatic; 09-19-2006 at 04:18 AM.
Old 09-19-2006, 08:26 AM
jayster is infamous around these parts
You should set them at their "stock" height. Its is in the instructions.

Old 09-20-2006, 11:00 AM
iborroel is infamous around these parts
I'm assuming their "stock" height is lower than that of a standard 996TT suspension.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Bilstein PSS-9's Do Not Mix With GT2 Ride Height - The Write-Up