996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Need help with CEL and code

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 02:58 PM
okcomputer is infamous around these parts
Need help with CEL and code

Hi,
I've owned my 911TT for about 6 weeks. It's got roughly 55k miles on it.
This morning, about 15 miles after leaving the house, the CEL came on (not blinking). This afternoon, I went to Autozone and got the scan. The only code reported is a P1411.

The search here indicates this is related to a secondary air pump which is active on cold starts right after turning the car on. Is this pump still a suspect if the light was triggered after 20 minutes of driving? Any other thoughts?

During a DME scan a while back, there was a P1117 code, however that didn't trigger a CEL, and it was not currently present.

About a month back, the car stalled out right after I turned it on. This has not happened since. Should I avoid driving it for the time being? I'd planned on taking it in for a 60k service + coil packs as a PM shortly anyway. Any thoughts on possible causes are much appreciated! O2? MAF?

Old 05-19-2010, 03:35 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
P1411 Secondary Air Injection System Incorrect Downstream Flow Detected/Manufacturer Auxillary Emission Control

Other possibilities that can cause a P1411:
Secondary air injection pump is not triggered
Secondary air injection pump does not work
Air supply lines restricted
Electric change over valve does not funtion
Air change over valve does not function
Vacuum system leaks

Things that you or your service department need to check:
Check function of secondary air injection pump
Check relay
Check power supply for open circuit
Check ground line of secondary air pump

Old 05-19-2010, 09:15 PM
Ok thanks. I disconnected the battery to clear the CEL and see if it would come right back on. Went out for a drive on the freeway, and nothing yet.

Old 05-20-2010, 05:33 AM
This morning, at cold start, I checked for the secondary air pump. I could hear it (higher pitched sound coming from the right side of the engine bay). It cut off after approx 30-40 seconds. Does this mean the S.A.P. and associated electronic bits are not the cause of the P1411 code? Is it more likely to be an air leak at this point?

Thanks.

Old 05-20-2010, 07:58 AM
sanyman is infamous around these parts
Do you have stock diverter valves? I just had the same code on my 996 TT and it was DV valves. Ordered a set of Baileys and code is gone. I also had a crack in my F pipe which is connected to the diverter valves. My understanding is the the DV valves push unused boost to to Turbos when the throttle body closes during shifts. If they are broken they honk and push boost out of engine. The engine thinks it got more air and gives more gas and runs rich which throws the secondary air system code. That's what happened to me. Got Bailey valves. All is good.

Old 09-26-2010, 08:21 AM
krswen is infamous around these parts
Do the 996 motors have the secondary air port blockage problems like the 993's? Or has this been fixed?

Old 09-26-2010, 08:28 AM
krswen is infamous around these parts
Do the 996 motors have the secondary air port blockage problems like the 993's? Or has this been fixed?

Old 09-26-2010, 09:33 AM
OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !OS Inspector Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by krswen

you can get some more info on the secondary air pump system in the 997tt intake manifold thread by brad bedell Krswen.

it seems the pump is similar to the one that dates to the 60's