996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Need new tires , what to go with ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 04:14 PM
germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !
You guys had me all excited that they now make them in bigger than 18 inch sizes! Jerks..... but yep another plus one for NT01's I would run them if they came in my size. Pilot Sports are great high speed tires but if you are RWD they just don't hook very well at big power levels. I almost wrote off my car on PS2's had them for a few months and got rid of them.

Old 05-31-2010, 04:18 PM
MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by germeezy1
Pilot Sports are great high speed tires but if you are RWD they just don't hook very well at big power levels. I almost wrote off my car on PS2's had them for a few months and got rid of them.
I had a similar experiance with PS2s. Outright scary, and my power level is not even that high but Iam RWD.

Old 05-31-2010, 04:25 PM
germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !
Umm 740 is still considered high outside of the forum where 1000 hp is had by everyone!

Old 05-31-2010, 06:09 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MBailey
I had a similar experiance with PS2s. Outright scary, and my power level is not even that high but Iam RWD.
Same thing happened to me with brand-new PSCs at the K24/18G level. I sold them a week later.

Old 05-31-2010, 06:10 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
You guys had me all excited that they now make them in bigger than 18 inch sizes! Jerks.....
Ha ha, my bad! I totally missed that he was looking for 19's.

Old 05-31-2010, 06:25 PM
Originally Posted by Divexxtreme
Same thing happened to me with brand-new PSCs at the K24/18G level. I sold them a week later.
My car is a stalled built auto nitrous car without alot of traction anyway, the first time I hit it around 40 mph it slewed right and then left and then a brutal tank slapper. I no kidding almost went off the road backwards, and this was with a friend of mine who I bragged about my driving to!

Old 05-31-2010, 06:29 PM
My car is a stalled built auto nitrous car without alot of traction anyway, the first time I hit it around 40 mph it slewed right and then left and then a brutal tank slapper. I no kidding almost went off the road backwards, and this was with a friend of mine who I bragged about my driving to!
Damn...I think I would have crapped my drawers!

Old 05-31-2010, 06:33 PM
I played it off very well and didn't fully lift which is the only reason I didn't crash because it was entering a curve. My friend was screaming like a girl and it looked like I calmly steered out of it. But my shaking hands I think gave it away!

Old 06-01-2010, 04:46 PM
john rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to behold
Guys,
THANKS. Discussions like this makes this THE best site. I was considering replacing my PS2s with a fresh set of Cups... until I read through this and thought about a recent tank slapper I had. [These never happen to ME... right.] I have a lot of driving experience and it was a shock. This is really helpful. THANKS to all of you for contributing.

Best

JR

Old 06-01-2010, 05:01 PM
Tell us about what the car did? I was so suprised that I almost didn't correct in time when it did it.

Old 06-01-2010, 06:07 PM
erhein35 is infamous around these parts
Thanks for the update! I love it. Now I know what to do this time.

Old 06-01-2010, 07:50 PM
john rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to behold
Well, I was actually shopping with my wife! [You have to image us in this bucket seat and half cage GT2 trying to put items in the car - hysterical.]

Car nicely warmed up and driving it around the better part of the day..like an old man in a Lexus. As we were finally leaving to return home I encountered a quiet, open, and nicely curved onramp approaching. I asked my wife if she would indulge me in one romp and she said "Sure". I was just entering the ramp with a very wide S curve ahead. 2nd gear and pretty low revs.. full boot. INSTANT sideways and I mean about 40 degrees. Countersteer and trying to hold neutral throttle but thinking 1- I am gonna lose it for good... and 2- I wonder how much I pooped myself. Somehow it sorted out without too much silly stuff and we kept on. Wife... well I asked no indelicate questions as to her physical response and she was either in too nice a mood after all that shopping [and that I had somehow not trashed our precious toy] or just too stunned to say much. I muttered something like. "Sorry dear. l hadn't intended to get quite so sideways."

Usually I get a lot of squirm as it hunts for traction and you can feel the diff going crazy and it is as if it is just trying like H to get away from you but it remains really controllable. I was only with maybe 10 degree of turn when it started and quite slow and .. well, I really didn't expect that.

Wife never did get angry... but I suspect she doesn't appreciate how close it was. I used to drive pretty crazy..all the time... and she accepted it as I had considerable P-car and racing experience when we met. It is almost scarier when they trust you. Never again like that. Lesson learned.

whew

JR

Old 06-01-2010, 11:04 PM
Wow, that is the time when I get the most puckered. I was test driving a new MDX with the wife and tried to test out the SH-AWD system. I entered a freeway on ramp that curved very tightly at the end. I was doing about 70 mph and the car slid completely sideways ( tighter curve and way more oversteer than I anticipated). I literally had all of the opposite lock used up and held it wide open in hopes that it would revert back FWD and pull itself out of the slide.
After I reined it back in my wife asked me how close we were to an accident. I told her very close! When we got back I realized that the lot detailer had freaking tire shined basically the outer half of all of the tires.

I wish I had of known about the PS2's before I bought them, but we have to remember these powerful RWD cars especially is like having a pet Tiger. They may love you and you may rub its belly but one lapse and it could be very painful!

So what is the general consensus on what tires he should get? NT01's?

Old 06-02-2010, 11:05 AM
unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !
Wow, that is the time when I get the most puckered. I was test driving a new MDX with the wife and tried to test out the SH-AWD system. I entered a freeway on ramp that curved very tightly at the end. I was doing about 70 mph and the car slid completely sideways ( tighter curve and way more oversteer than I anticipated). I literally had all of the opposite lock used up and held it wide open in hopes that it would revert back FWD and pull itself out of the slide.
After I reined it back in my wife asked me how close we were to an accident. I told her very close! When we got back I realized that the lot detailer had freaking tire shined basically the outer half of all of the tires.

I wish I had of known about the PS2's before I bought them, but we have to remember these powerful RWD cars especially is like having a pet Tiger. They may love you and you may rub its belly but one lapse and it could be very painful!

So what is the general consensus on what tires he should get? NT01's?
well we were considering the invos , then they had me sold on the NT01'a BUT i needed 19s lol, and they dont come in 19s so now im thinking R888's

comments?

Last edited by unvmy996; 06-02-2010 at 11:31 AM.
Old 06-02-2010, 11:44 AM
245/ 325? The R888's are not bad but Toyo seems to be very proud of them and pricing them accordingly. Anyone running the Dunlop Star Specs? What about the RE-11 or RE050 Bridgestones?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Need new tires , what to go with ?