996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

996tt round headlight conversion idea

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-04-2011 | 07:11 PM
contigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by evoviiiyou
I did this back in the day when I had my Slate Grey 996 Turbo. I really liked the look. I feel that this is how the car should have come from the factory.

By any chance do you remember if at all how hard it was to put the headlight apart for this and after so if you had any problems with the sealing of the headlight against water?

Old 02-04-2011 | 09:17 PM
ttpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by contigo
By any chance do you remember if at all how hard it was to put the headlight apart for this and after so if you had any problems with the sealing of the headlight against water?
just have them professionally taped and painted.

looks just as good/better and is way simpler/cheaper.

Old 02-05-2011 | 04:06 AM
madmaxgr is infamous around these parts
Here is what i have found for my car 996

these items have been found in a local tuner here in greece which fits precicely on the 996 head lights and looks like 997.

note that in the photos the items are simply placed on top of the headlights, sit properly following the curvature of the headlights without any glue and yet not painted.

note2: the car IS NOT PHOTOSHOP picture. The items are real

i will keep you updated next week when the items will be painted and the final fit is completed

Attached Images      

Last edited by madmaxgr; 02-05-2011 at 04:18 AM. Reason: post correction
Old 02-07-2011 | 11:23 AM
D_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant future
What about getting vinyl cut to fit on the headlights like the above post instead? I would think it would be very cost effective and you could have the foglight cutout or not have it cut out. You could also cut through for the washers and get the chrome piece wrapped as well. Does anyone know a company that makes something like that? I have a company that would be willing to do it, but they are in San Diego and I am in NY! I haven't really pursued it since the distance was too much, but if someone from San Diego would want them to try it on their car, maybe they will make a kit for others?

Old 02-07-2011 | 11:28 AM
ttpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by D_Nyholm
What about getting vinyl cut to fit on the headlights like the above post instead? I would think it would be very cost effective and you could have the foglight cutout or not have it cut out. You could also cut through for the washers and get the chrome piece wrapped as well. Does anyone know a company that makes something like that? I have a company that would be willing to do it, but they are in San Diego and I am in NY! I haven't really pursued it since the distance was too much, but if someone from San Diego would want them to try it on their car, maybe they will make a kit for others?
I originally was going to do this - except the vinyl guys here in san diego (by the way, a lot of guys do this kind of work, its the same clear bra/vinyl/wrap market) were concerned that the heat from the lights may melt the vinyl over time.

So they taped off the lights and suggested we spray and clearcoat. came out looking great!

Old 02-07-2011 | 01:30 PM
D_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant future
Yeah, the paint really looks great, i'm just worried about making a permanent modification to my car. I'd hate to kill the resale more than it is in narrowing down the field of buyers with the mods on the car.

I might have to find a local vinyl guy that can do this for me and see how it comes out. Does anyone know a reputable vinyl guy in NY (specifically Long Island)?

Old 02-08-2011 | 12:18 AM
FineProperty is infamous around these parts
I'm guessing I'm not the only one that thought it would be cool to lose the headlight washer, so I did that to the left side of the pic, and the right side is the pshop version of 'what if it were painted.'

Old 02-08-2011 | 08:34 AM
madmaxgr is infamous around these parts
first of all i think the mod. with vinyl idea it look very cheap
and dont forget that we have a porsche and dont something else.
then i really dont like the techart headlights cover because in mine
opinion always gives to the car a look that dont remember me a
porsche but something else
i still prefer mine cover lights because for 350e and not a hole fortune and modifications you get a 997 and 998 look.
dont forget that you can always open a hole for the washer and also if you want to reback
at the 996 look you can find a cheap second hand per of head lighits and
put them on the car whenever you want

Last edited by madmaxgr; 02-08-2011 at 08:38 AM.
Old 02-08-2011 | 09:15 AM
GreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to beholdGreggT is a splendid one to behold
All this is fine for a dark car IMHO.
I have seen no acceptable mod for a light colored car.......yet.

Old 02-08-2011 | 09:28 AM
Well, i'd prefer to give it a shot with vinyl and then if I do like it and decide to keep it permanent (and the vinyl looks bad which I doubt), I could always paint it.

Plenty of high end cars with Vinyl on them!

Old 02-08-2011 | 04:53 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by contigo
Agreed...I really like what was done with the slate colored car...with the paint under the headlight itself...was curious about the same things though, sealing, condensation, fading over time, cost to get this done etc..etc..

anyone with experience in this method of the "headlight mod" please chyme in

Old 02-09-2011 | 01:49 PM
Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !Psycho Sid Is a GOD !
Great thread!!!

I put the techart headlight masks and painted the washer caps.
Decided to leave the fog light opening and by adding the new "997 GT2 bumper it looks like more of a mix between 996 and 997 thus getting the best of both worlds... well at least that's what I tell myself to justify the $$$

Oh yeah and by using chromed blinker bulbs you can get rid of any trace of amber, helps to cleanup the look.

Cheers!

Attached Images    
Old 02-09-2011 | 02:08 PM
sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !sunir Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Psycho Sid
Great thread!!!

I put the techart headlight masks and painted the washer caps.
Decided to leave the fog light opening and by adding the new "997 GT2 bumper it looks like more of a mix between 996 and 997 thus getting the best of both worlds... well at least that's what I tell myself to justify the $$$

Oh yeah and by using chromed blinker bulbs you can get rid of any trace of amber, helps to cleanup the look.

Cheers!
Sid that's a very clean and modern look...well done!

Old 02-09-2011 | 05:10 PM
cordsig79 has a spectacular aura aboutcordsig79 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by ttpopo
I originally was going to do this - except the vinyl guys here in san diego (by the way, a lot of guys do this kind of work, its the same clear bra/vinyl/wrap market) were concerned that the heat from the lights may melt the vinyl over time.

So they taped off the lights and suggested we spray and clearcoat. came out looking great!

Couldnt you just remove the bulb or would that fire an error.....no bulb, no heat.

Old 02-09-2011 | 05:20 PM
I guess you could but then you would not have working headlights. I keed I keed -

the vinyl guys did a bunch of lights but then had to deal with ppl coming back complaining bc the vinyl melted - so they were putting vinyl over the entire headlight.

I dont know whether the pattern would be too thin to reliably employ. You should ask your vinyl guys. Personally, I love the painted look as it is indistinct from painted fender/bumper material. The TA covers are nice too, but IMO they are a bit thick and change the contour, as well as show through the 90s-style plastic edges of the light housing.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: 996tt round headlight conversion idea