996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

100 Cell or 200 Cell Cats ????

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 08:23 PM
Basic Sponsor
John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !
There is a tradeoff between cat cell count and performance. Most people that upgrade these cars prefer top performance and that is why a 100 cell cat is standard on our premier system, the X-cellerator cross-flow series. The X-cellerator 100 cell cat system is designed to offer the best possible throttle response, turbo spool, etc. - that a catted system can offer. Most people that mod these cars understand that you may possibly have a problem with emmissions, if you have an aftermarket exhaust/ flash, etc. and that is why I and many others have retained our OEM exhausts. I knew this when I began modding my car back in 2002. I have never needed to use it, but I still have my OEM exhaust in the event that regulations become stricter and at some point it is required to pass a test. IMHO, having to swap an exhaust one a year or every other year to pass emmissions is not that big of a deal for the performance advantage you realize for the remainder of the year.

That said, we have built our X-cellerator system with 200 and 300 cell cats for a few individuals that were concerned about emissions and wanted a built in safety margin, so that is an option for anyone that desires it.

Additionally, with our system you can change "just the cat" due to our modular design and quickly swap cats, if you had to for a test or run our cat bypass pipes all year and install the cats when required. There are several options...

My personal opinion is that with a car like the 996TT, from a performance standpoint, the 100 cell cat exhaust is clearly the way to go to maximize the performance and enjoyment of the car. Swap out once a year if you need to - it's quick and easy.

The picture below shows how the cats are a separate item that can be swapped without removing the entire system.

2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials facebook SpeedTech Exhaust Videos

Last edited by John@SpeedTech; 06-05-2010 at 08:47 PM.
Old 06-05-2010, 08:45 PM
eds966tt is infamous around these parts
So your saying swap the cats? your system is plug and play i guess i need to purchase 300cell and 100 cell cats correct?

Old 06-05-2010, 08:54 PM
Basic Sponsor
John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !John@SpeedTech Is a GOD !
Ed,

Yes, it's plug and play in that respect. You can swap cats very easily, without removing the entire system. Personally, I would not purchase a set of 300 cell cats unless you actually need them. Our 100 cell cats have passed in CA many times, so I think you will be fine with them.

If not, I can "loan" you set of 300 cell cats, if you need them to pass a test and then you can return them to me once you have swapped back, so there is no need to spend more money and "purchase" them...part of our customer appreciation program :-)

You have a few options with our system...including bundling it with a EPL flash for an exhaust/flash bundle discount.

2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white

Last edited by John@SpeedTech; 06-05-2010 at 08:57 PM.
Old 06-05-2010, 08:59 PM
NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !
John,

Do you guys have dynos for each of your exhaust systems and cat configurations? Id love to see the performance gains on a straight pipe vs. 100 cell vs. 200 cell

Old 06-05-2010, 09:15 PM
Basic Sponsor
Sorry, I do not have that, but I can tell you from experience that the throttle response and turbo spool response is significantly enhanced with a 100 cell cat over a 200 cell cat. Without question, the car runs and performs better. I don't notice a difference between 100 cell cats and cat bypass pipes, although it would make sense that the bypass pipes would improve things even more.

I think the reason for this is the 200 cell cats are pretty restrictive and cause a meaningful blockage of the exhaust passage and the 100 cells really open it up and let the gasses flow with little restriction. The jump to cat bypass pipes is not as dramatic of a "relief" to the system, therefore, difficult to detect the difference.

2022 Cayenne White
Old 06-06-2010, 06:35 AM
John,
Thanks for your help please answer my concerns.
1.Your saying 100 cell pass Ca smog?
2.Your saying you have 300 to lend if i fail in nj correct?
I do believe i will pass in nj with 100 if CA passes using 100.
3. Build quality - how long will this last before weld issues?
4. Do you repaire if i send it back and do you stand behind your work?
My use is street and 2 to 3 DE events a year. I'm a tool & die maker
so i know quality SS and correct welding pactices.
5. Can this be installed without removing rear bumper?
6. Can i return to you if it fails my inspection out of the box and can
you put this on my PO?

Thanks for offering a option if i get into a sticky situation with smog!
Also understand as a car and aircraft builder i have high standards.
Dont take this the wrong way - im just a perfectionist.

7. Have you sold to anyone in nj or nnjr porsche club that i can speak to.
John - This is a deal breaker I have used after market my entire life
and if its nt right i move on.

8. Im not buying based on sound bite. I need to be in a car that has your quieter setup. Please provide a contact. He can email me. We can take this ofline if you can provide this information and i will contact you.
Thanks again for your help

Old 06-06-2010, 06:42 AM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by eds966tt
John,
1.Your saying 100 cell pass Ca smog?
2.Your saying you have 300 to lend if i fail in nj correct?
I do believe i will pass in nj with 100 if CA passes using 100.
3. Build quality - how long will this last before weld issues?
4. Do you repaire if i send it back and do you stand behind your work?
so i know quality SS and correct welding pactices.
5. Can this be installed without removing rear bumper?
you put this on my PO?

Dont take this the wrong way - im just a perfectionist.

and if its nt right i move on.

8. Im not buying based on sound bite. I need to be in a car that has your quieter setup. Please provide a contact. He can email me. We can take this ofline if you can provide this information and i will contact you.
Thanks again for your help

No offense but why don't you build your own and do it how you like it because this is all subjective and I doubt anyone can meet your specific needs unless you spend lots of extra moneys...
just my opinion...

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 06-06-2010, 07:10 AM
Frank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond repute
I didn't think I'd get this sort of response when I first posted the question but good, I have bought a Miltek Sports 100 Cell and hope for the best come testing time.
Anybody else have a Miltek Sports 100 cell? Apparently they sound better when they age.
Frank

Old 06-06-2010, 08:37 AM
No offense Guys and nothing against you Marski or anyone offering a product.
" subjective and I doubt anyone can meet your specific needs unless you spend lots of extra moneys"

Interesting response - All I want is a exhaust that passes NJ smog -sounds better then stock and is quality with no over bearing droan... It seems vendors jump in "saying they can meet our needs" but when asked honest questions ... seem to backpeddle....lol

Bottom line if your selling on this board please give a referral. Im in business myself and it speaks to what we sell to the public and what we stand behind or will not.
That is what builds a product and a business. Thanks again and waiting a reply.

Old 06-06-2010, 09:41 AM
Basic Sponsor
John,

1.Your saying 100 cell pass Ca smog? Yes, it has passed.

2.Your saying you have 300 to lend if i fail in nj correct? Yes. I do believe i will pass in nj with 100 if CA passes using 100.

3. Build quality - how long will this last before weld issues? I do not believe you will ever have weld isssues - the quality of welding and craftmanship is extremely high.

4. Do you repaire if i send it back and do you stand behind your work? Yes, if you ever did have a problem with craftmanship/welding, we will replace/repair it at no charge for the original owner.

so i know quality SS and correct welding pactices. Then I feel you will appreciate our quality.

5. Can this be installed without removing rear bumper? Yes, but it's a lot more difficult. The bumper comes off in five minutes and goes back on perfectly every time. I recommend removing the bumper for installation.

you put this on my PO? If you mean that you visually inspect it and are personally not happy with the quality you see, then yes, I will take it back "new in the box" and issue full credit. I can include those terms on your invoice.

You're welcome! It's our goal for all exhaust purchases with SpeedTech to "fit" the end users personal requirements. That is why we offer several sound levels and tip options, too.

Dont take this the wrong way - im just a perfectionist. As am I...so I think our system will satisfy your scrutiny.

and if its nt right i move on. I will have to check our records tomorrow when I am in the office. I do recall a 3.0 loud in NJ, but the sound level is very different from the quiet. It would give you an idea of our cross-flow sound, though....I'll see what I can find. Mike Kelly in the DC area has a quiet, maybe you could try contacting him....depending on where in NJ you are, it could work out..

Thanks again for your help. Ed, I will get back to you with contacts via PM's tomorrow. Thanks for your interest.

2022 Cayenne White

Last edited by John@SpeedTech; 06-06-2010 at 09:46 AM.
Old 06-06-2010, 10:13 AM
John thank you for being detailed, complete and up front. I will be in Pocono in two weeks at NNJR Ladies day event (North Jersey Region Porsche Club) Then at Watkins Glen in August again with the North Jersey Club.

Again - I appreciate your through response to my concerns. It also says that you will be there to help out if i have questions. This hobby is more then just mods... It is about building relationships as we make changes to our cars however simple or extreme they are.

I also know anytime one makes a modification there are possible issues and I understand that. I just want to know the person, the product and what i'm dealing with as i move forward in making a decision.

Old 06-06-2010, 10:53 AM
Basic Sponsor
You're welcome. Hopefully, I can find a 2.5 near you to listen to...

2022 Cayenne White
Old 06-06-2010, 10:57 AM
dynamic gt2 is a splendid one to beholddynamic gt2 is a splendid one to beholddynamic gt2 is a splendid one to beholddynamic gt2 is a splendid one to beholddynamic gt2 is a splendid one to beholddynamic gt2 is a splendid one to beholddynamic gt2 is a splendid one to behold
Best exhaust = NO exhaust

Old 06-06-2010, 12:20 PM
996ttalot has a reputation beyond repute996ttalot has a reputation beyond repute996ttalot has a reputation beyond repute996ttalot has a reputation beyond repute996ttalot has a reputation beyond repute996ttalot has a reputation beyond repute996ttalot has a reputation beyond repute996ttalot has a reputation beyond repute996ttalot has a reputation beyond repute996ttalot has a reputation beyond repute996ttalot has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Sunnyside
I didn't think I'd get this sort of response when I first posted the question but good, I have bought a Miltek Sports 100 Cell and hope for the best come testing time.
Anybody else have a Miltek Sports 100 cell? Apparently they sound better when they age.
Frank
Frank, I have the same system. I wouldn't worry about it. I have many guys running 100 cell who have passed in the UK. I have kept my std system just in case so I can swop it. The bottom line is that you need the 100 cell for the performance. You will see on the underside of the 100 cell that it states not for road use but my indy doesn't see to have a worry with the MOT on. If you still have your old system, keep it. If not, you can pick one up for 200GBP.

Ken

Old 06-06-2010, 12:34 PM
Frank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up

Thanks Ken,

That info help keep the worries away.

As it happens, I haven't got my original exhaust most of it had suffered damage due to the corrosion. So I cut it up to look inside ooops. I know how they are built??? If that helps anybody. Si I might be in the market for a standard one. Where would you suggest?
On another matter , what have you done to your Tip box to take the power, where and how much.

Tip problems have put me off the idea of big power mods. Having said that I have just fitted standard K16's so I wont be fitting bigger for a while

Thanks again,
Frank.

ps On a light note its 19:30 and absolutely Peeing it down here. Thought It was a tropical downpour. Cant here the keys on the keyboard

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 100 Cell or 200 Cell Cats ????