996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Failed California smog test, need advice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 09:32 PM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by fjc32
Hi Guys,

I was informed today that there is a new CA Smog law. The exhaust must not be temper with. Not even the catted aftermarket exhaust. It must pass the visual inspection. Is this true?

Thanks.
Not new, has been true for MANY years.

The exhaust must be OE or must have a California CARB listing. (To my knowledge there is no CARB listed exhaust for the 996TT)

Good news is my europipe looks OE, and the shop has no idea what they are looking AT.

Finally, I too am against catless- but my real issue with CARB is that the who listing process is a stupid bureaucratic 'make work' project, and that many parts and exhausts are perfectly fine and non-polluting, but given the effort to list and the limited market, they will never get listed.

Old 02-03-2012, 09:52 PM
jetdriver21 is infamous around these parts
can return to stock?

Old 02-03-2012, 10:39 PM
Aerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant future
While I'm all for clean air -- and yes, the rest of the country can thank California for driving the car industry to develop cleaner cars -- this whole visual inspection thing seems bogus to me. I don't really get the purpose of it (especially since it's implementation is so variable and dependent on the techs). What matters is what's coming out of the car. I'd say just measure that, and the car should pass or not based on the emissions -- no ifs, ands, or buts.

FWIW -- I wouldn't be surprised if one day we're at the point where the techs have to take a digital picture under your hood (or car), and then it's uploaded to the DMV computers for an automatic pattern match with a database that has every car's OEM image.

Old 02-04-2012, 08:34 PM
john rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to beholdjohn rice is a splendid one to behold
Sorry for going off subject..but... I will say no more after this.

"Luckily, as a company with a global condcience, Porsche has ALWAYS. Been ahead of the emissions curve."

??? Look up Porsche Thermal Reactors sometime and see examples of how they destroy 911/930 engines...oh, that and how Porsche did next to nothing for the owners in period.

In terms of Porsche ALWAYS being ahead of the emissions curve [or having a conscience], that is simply incorrect. For the longest time Porsche did their best to ignore the huge money problems 911/930 owners suffered because of inept and shoddy emission systems. Their Euro cars were almost totally UNRESTRICTED and we were told that our Porsche emission control related problems were 'YOUR government's fault". In spite of this I have remained a fan and owner since the 60s. However, it hasn't blinded me about my favorite car company having left a lot on the table in terms of superior engineering and caring about the climate.

I had thought about writing an essay of "Porsche Engineering Disasters". I gave up the idea when I realized it would require a book! Even the original Dr. Porsche engineered his shared of disasters. It is all there in the history books, but you must read other than Porsche literature if you want to be educated about the company.

Old 02-04-2012, 09:42 PM
Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !Nor Cal Turbo Is a GOD !
The visual inspection process CARB requires at smog test has nothing to do with ensuring the car has clean emissions. It's about trying to force aftermarket parts makers to pay the state money, thats it.

Old 02-05-2012, 09:06 AM
c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !c32AMG-DTM Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by john rice
CARB/BAR has ALWAYS mandated that every smog engine must be 100% stock. The only changes allowed by law would be with parts that have CARB Approved data tags with the specific exemption on it.

There is a lot of info available on the State of California, Bureau of Auto Repair site. I would add a link but every time I go back there it seems to have changed. I have found a lot of detailed information there. Warning - it can be depressing. Remember the move "1984"? That is the state air *****. I love the idea of clean air but they aren't playing fair.

In terms of visual inspection, it all depends on how thorough your smog tech is. The BAR is actively working to upgrade every one of them and has a big program in place right now doing that. So, count on it only getting more restrictive.

Hey, they also have a map on their site. It shows the different emission areas. Some areas of this state only have to smog when they sell a car. But, again, don't hold your breath as that will slowly go away also.

In a few years they will no longer use the rollers, etc. With all OBD2 cars they will do a visual and plug into your OBD2 port and see what your ECU says about how clean your car is.

Big brother-land

JR
Most other states already do the "in a few years" thought you've had - an emissions check via OBDii. There's also a visual component to it, but mainly just checking for exhaust leaks and whatnot. Funny thing is, tuners can and will find ways to beat it, via code changes. From a strictly emissions-polluting standpoint, nothing is better than a tailpipe sniffer test like what CA uses now. The visual-inspection component is pretty bureaucratic, however. I'm glad I don't have to worry about it, from an outsider looking in.

Originally Posted by ard
The exhaust must be OE or must have a California CARB listing. (To my knowledge there is no CARB listed exhaust for the 996TT)
Is this true? If so, every single 996TT in CA with an aftermarket exhaust isn't street legal. Yikes.

Originally Posted by Aerodude
While I'm all for clean air -- and yes, the rest of the country can thank California for driving the car industry to develop cleaner cars -- this whole visual inspection thing seems bogus to me. I don't really get the purpose of it (especially since it's implementation is so variable and dependent on the techs). What matters is what's coming out of the car. I'd say just measure that, and the car should pass or not based on the emissions -- no ifs, ands, or buts.

FWIW -- I wouldn't be surprised if one day we're at the point where the techs have to take a digital picture under your hood (or car), and then it's uploaded to the DMV computers for an automatic pattern match with a database that has every car's OEM image.
Agree 100% on the first paragraph - the scientific measurement should be all that matters. As for the second one... since non-OEM parts can be legal if they have a CARB certification, I'm not sure how that could work...

Originally Posted by Nor Cal Turbo
The visual inspection process CARB requires at smog test has nothing to do with ensuring the car has clean emissions. It's about trying to force aftermarket parts makers to pay the state money, thats it.
Bingo. Revenue.

Old 02-05-2012, 09:18 AM
Aerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant futureAerodude has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Turbo
Ok. I get t. Makes more sense, but still bogus.