996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

k24 18g boost vs rpm

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 02:49 PM
Frank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond repute
Hi Mad Ness
Here is a quick one to think about.
Have you ever driven with a hose blown off, there is a distinctive sound of turbo pressure blowing out, the turbo sounds different as well. Its not under any load and has a distinctive no load whine/wush. If a check valve has blown else where would you hear it? The k24's are capable of producing great boost pressure but also very high air flows at those pressures. That much air going some where must be heard? If its is being reduced through a small bore pipe then the pressure will rise and the sound will get louder. Is a very small check valve burst enough to vent off that much boost? A split rubber hose will give the devils hell of a squeal.
Frank

Ps I dont even know your first name.

Just a quick one on injectors , I see where its going, but wouldn't standard injectors still make boost but cause detonation as the air flow/boost outpaces the fuel rate. A duff injector will show up and again you could run on 5 cylinders and still be able to produce some boost even with a misfire.

Last edited by Frank ( Sunnyside ); 06-04-2010 at 02:57 PM.
Old 06-04-2010, 02:57 PM
winnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond repute
(A)

(B)

first picture you can see a setback valve...second picture i miss the setback valve ....

Old 06-04-2010, 03:00 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
that start up issue may be due to the RC injectors... and they are 58lbs not 60s...
thats just a guess but we have had some issues with those...
but that still would not be a problem and We have a car with them on... maybe the program is not calibrated for them....

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 06-04-2010, 03:01 PM
winnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond reputewinnigt2 has a reputation beyond repute

at this picture i miss the setback valve

Old 06-04-2010, 10:31 PM
Mad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Sunnyside
Hi Mad Ness
Here is a quick one to think about.
Have you ever driven with a hose blown off, there is a distinctive sound of turbo pressure blowing out, the turbo sounds different as well. Its not under any load and has a distinctive no load whine/wush. If a check valve has blown else where would you hear it? The k24's are capable of producing great boost pressure but also very high air flows at those pressures. That much air going some where must be heard? If its is being reduced through a small bore pipe then the pressure will rise and the sound will get louder. Is a very small check valve burst enough to vent off that much boost? A split rubber hose will give the devils hell of a squeal.
Frank

Ps I dont even know your first name.

Just a quick one on injectors , I see where its going, but wouldn't standard injectors still make boost but cause detonation as the air flow/boost outpaces the fuel rate. A duff injector will show up and again you could run on 5 cylinders and still be able to produce some boost even with a misfire.
frank, please excuse the oversight... how could i be so rude. magnus here.

if there was a misfire situation or like, I'd think DTCs would be popping left and right? doesn't feel like the car's running on 5.

yes on a jdm (map sensor) supra, had a leak, yes you can hear it. complete power loss if the hose pops off. but nothing like this on the 996 it drives perfectly normal and no suspect noises. can hear the turbo "buzz" spool up (to 0.4bar)

thats why suspecting the diverter valves. i wouldn't hear them leak re-circulating boost.

Old 06-04-2010, 10:34 PM
Mad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by MARKSKI@911tuning
that start up issue may be due to the RC injectors... and they are 58lbs not 60s...
thats just a guess but we have had some issues with those...
but that still would not be a problem and We have a car with them on... maybe the program is not calibrated for them....
right, may be the file could be fine tuned to compensate for start up. But sometimes it's ok, so i dunno... flash is supposed to provision for these exact injectors.

Old 06-04-2010, 10:44 PM
Originally Posted by winnigt2
first picture you can see a setback valve...second picture i miss the setback valve ....
where's waldo?

which one's the "setback valve"?

is it the one with red arrow? thanks

Old 06-05-2010, 12:41 AM
Frank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond repute
Hi Magnus,
Alas I have little experience with divert er valves, most of my last Turbo cars Run Anti-Lag systems so cant have Blow Off or Recerc Valves. it would contrary to the idea that you are trying to create boost even with your foot off the Gas.
Still good luck, I hope its just the DV's that would be so simple a Fix !
Frank.

Old 06-05-2010, 09:52 AM
Supercollider is a jewel in the roughSupercollider is a jewel in the roughSupercollider is a jewel in the roughSupercollider is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by aroonkl
What do you use to control boost? Should not vary much. Another possible: is the compressor/intake pipe running out of air at high rpm? Should get advice from Kevin.

Thanks for the advice - will do. It's fairly cool (e.g. dense) here with temps in the high 50's and moderate humidity. But I'll ask. I noticed it again yesterday - pretty consistent on this gas.

I figured it was crappy 92 oct gas, was going to see if MS109 did the same at the track later this week. I have a drum, and I'll pump it in, unless its another cold, wet day, then I won't waste it.

EDIT: Ah ... I see Kevin's post on pg 2. thanks Kevin. Good to know. Unfortunately, I have to live those K24s for a while. No new spinners for me anytime soon.

Last edited by Supercollider; 06-05-2010 at 09:56 AM.
Old 06-05-2010, 01:56 PM
dixie is a name known to alldixie is a name known to alldixie is a name known to alldixie is a name known to alldixie is a name known to alldixie is a name known to all
I would flash it back with oem file if possible so you're sure the new flash isn't the problem.

Old 06-05-2010, 10:11 PM
Originally Posted by dixie
I would flash it back with oem file if possible so you're sure the new flash isn't the problem.
thanks but dont think can do this cos injectors and TB are larger now

Old 06-06-2010, 02:58 AM
dixie is a name known to alldixie is a name known to alldixie is a name known to alldixie is a name known to alldixie is a name known to alldixie is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Mad Ness
thanks but dont think can do this cos injectors and TB are larger now
I think it won't do any harm to try once with oem software,you'll run a bit richer but you won't destroy your engine.All you have to do is make one pull to see the difference.

Old 06-06-2010, 05:21 AM
where's waldo?

which one's the "setback valve"?

is it the one with red arrow? thanks

Yes that is the valve, at this point you loose boost

Old 06-06-2010, 07:45 AM
Originally Posted by winnigt2
Yes that is the valve, at this point you loose boost
hmmm. couple questions come to mind. you think that little hose can cause boost pressure drop from 1.2bar to 0.4bar? and what's this check valve for because there isn't one to begin with stock. this valve is part of the AP TB addition. does the standard 996tt have this built into the plenum? thanks

Old 06-06-2010, 09:35 AM
hmmm. couple questions come to mind. you think that little hose can cause boost pressure drop from 1.2bar to 0.4bar? and what's this check valve for because there isn't one to begin with stock. this valve is part of the AP TB addition. does the standard 996tt have this built into the plenum? thanks
hope my english is good enough to explain it

the oem intake plenum has its own valve inside on top...you can check it if you blow into the fitting but you cant sug air out...so you loose boost without a external valve on after market intake plenum
i dont know if the ap intake plenum have this valve in that place...but i know the ipd plenum doesnt have the valve and so you must use a external valve...

yes you loose all your boost at this hose..if this is the air ventilation of oil reservoir....

again sorry about my english ...hope it helps

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: k24 18g boost vs rpm