996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

k24 18g boost vs rpm

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 09:38 AM
tvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud of
Congrats, but something still must not be quite right, I have similar mods and my car can easily boost FAR higher then I want with pump gas.

When you get this sorted, you will REALLY feel it.

Old 06-11-2010, 10:04 AM
Mad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by tvurt
Congrats, but something still must not be quite right, I have similar mods and my car can easily boost FAR higher then I want with pump gas.

When you get this sorted, you will REALLY feel it.
you using stock actuators?

Old 06-11-2010, 10:25 AM
tvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud of
Well right now I have NO wastegates, but by the time I run out of beer tonight I will have tial 44mm externals!

My old wastegates were 1 bar however.

Attached Images  
Old 06-11-2010, 10:57 AM
Mad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant future
Well right now I have NO wastegates, but by the time I run out of beer tonight I will have tial 44mm externals!

My old wastegates were 1 bar however.
lol... my tune's set to 1.2 max so not too far off, not running an ebc.

cool... been thinking about doing external as well.

Old 06-11-2010, 11:05 AM
You will need an EBC and a tune that can handle it for externals. I had both already so I just needed the headers and the wgs.

Old 06-11-2010, 11:12 AM
You will need an EBC and a tune that can handle it for externals. I had both already so I just needed the headers and the wgs.
think its X WG is worth it if i dont raise boost? really dont like the lag... suppose on an EBC, i can raise the gain.

Old 06-11-2010, 11:18 AM
Dunno I will find out in a few hours.

It makes sense to me that having no actuator arm / flapper in the air path, along with venting the over boost directly to the atmosphere instead of thru the exhaust will increase flow, and reduce lag. The externals should be much quicker and precise since they are not "fighting" flow to open.

I have seen some trusted tuners here that do not like externals however, and do not feel that they help lag/hp at all.

Tom

Old 06-11-2010, 12:49 PM
Frank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond repute
Magnus,
What is that pressure switch (that had the busted pipe) for. Any idea, its a good to know thing for any future problems and also where exactly is it on the engine.
Frank

Old 06-11-2010, 01:39 PM
Originally Posted by Sunnyside
Magnus,
What is that pressure switch (that had the busted pipe) for. Any idea, its a good to know thing for any future problems and also where exactly is it on the engine.
Frank
hey yes this is something everyone should check for. 1)rubber hose between the #22 check valve (right above air switch) and the hard plastic hose (#8) that leads to the TB plenum. rubber one was dried up. the plastic hard hose isnt easy to get to, pulled mine out from the rear and rerouted over left side of oil filter then back down infront of lower diverter F hose just like in the diagram below, for some reason mine was routed behind the lower F hose, prob why it came off. i clocked the tube on the air switch clockwise to reangle. may be it should be like this orig. (my installers sucked) 2)Similarly if i recall correctly the hose at the bottom of the T to diverters was also brittle and changed when installing diverters. just change them all 3 while in there. Basically check all the rubber hoses in this system, when ever there's opportunity as they get old from the heat and fall apart. lowering the engine, installing TBs, diverters will most likely be the catlyst to break them.

Old 06-11-2010, 09:50 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
I told you it was going to be a install problem... you should go over everything else...
something wasn't adding up especially when before the install it was ok...
mark

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 06-11-2010, 10:34 PM
Originally Posted by MARKSKI@911tuning
I told you it was going to be a install problem... you should go over everything else...
something wasn't adding up especially when before the install it was ok...
mark
yea i was in denial. the indy's gonna get a lashing for this. wtf did i pay him for if i had to over n' do it myself. thanks for your help. funny thing is i went out bought all the parts to do the boost leak test at turbos, while waiting for epoxy to dry, took the airbox out, looked back there and saw the valve just chillin like a villian.

Old 06-11-2010, 11:36 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
Congrats! You will love the upgraded wastegates. It will really tighten up the throttle response, midrange and top end and make teh car much more consistent.

Old 06-11-2010, 11:54 PM
tunedgoody is a glorious beacon of lighttunedgoody is a glorious beacon of lighttunedgoody is a glorious beacon of lighttunedgoody is a glorious beacon of lighttunedgoody is a glorious beacon of lighttunedgoody is a glorious beacon of light
thanks... so helpful