996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

MP3 CD-Changer in 996 TT?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-24-2005, 11:10 PM
Marx is infamous around these parts
MP3 CD-Changer in 996 TT?

Is it possible to replace the TT's audio cd-changer with a MP3 cd changer? I'v googled this for a while, but could not find any info...

Old 01-25-2005, 02:53 AM
Pioneer Member
Scott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond repute
I put an Alpine head unit in mine. It controls my Sirius satellite radio and plays MP3 CDs.
You do lose the use of the changer however, but it's worth it.

Old 01-25-2005, 09:50 AM
Under PSI has much to be proud ofUnder PSI has much to be proud ofUnder PSI has much to be proud ofUnder PSI has much to be proud ofUnder PSI has much to be proud ofUnder PSI has much to be proud ofUnder PSI has much to be proud ofUnder PSI has much to be proud of
I put a Kenwood 10 disk CD/MP3 changer in mine. Had to use an FM modulator though.

Old 01-25-2005, 03:51 PM
I have the PCM on my TT... thus I cannot switch to another radio unit. I guess no MP3 for me then. Right?

How does that FM-transmitter thing work? Is the quality acceptable?

Old 01-25-2005, 04:35 PM
bking is infamous around these parts
excuse the ignorance...mp3 cd's? CD's burned from mp3 players? I bought an ipod, copied everything I wanted (1500 songs, still only 5 gigs of a 40 gig disk!) had a wire run from the reciever and hook in the ipod. Don't carry the 50 or 60 cd's anymore. Nice..

Old 01-25-2005, 06:12 PM
dgray996 is infamous around these parts
Check out this supplier for Becker (Porsche OEM) head units. There are receivers that play MP3 files that are burned onto CD's.

http://www.swstereo.com/

I like the fact that the Becker units have the OEM "look".

No affiliations, etc. (bought some equipment from Stephan a couple of years ago for my former '96 993 C2 coupe)

Old 01-26-2005, 08:57 AM
Under PSI has much to be proud ofUnder PSI has much to be proud ofUnder PSI has much to be proud ofUnder PSI has much to be proud ofUnder PSI has much to be proud ofUnder PSI has much to be proud ofUnder PSI has much to be proud ofUnder PSI has much to be proud of
Originally posted by Marx
I have the PCM on my TT... thus I cannot switch to another radio unit. I guess no MP3 for me then. Right?

How does that FM-transmitter thing work? Is the quality acceptable?
It's not a transmitter, the CD signal is wired directly through the FM antenna. This, unfortunately converts the digital to an analog signal but with the stock Bose stereo, (mine has a navigation unit which is why I didn't want to change it) the sound is pretty good. A true audiophile would probably not like it, but for my taste in music (rock and roll) it does quite well.

Each CD holds about 150-180 songs so it works out to about 1500-1800 songs that the changer can hold.

Old 01-26-2005, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by Under PSI
It's not a transmitter, the CD signal is wired directly through the FM antenna. This, unfortunately converts the digital to an analog signal but with the stock Bose stereo, (mine has a navigation unit which is why I didn't want to change it) the sound is pretty good.
This sounds like the way to go! I have the PCM navigation unit for my TT, too... and I don't want to change to a different head unit neither.

One question left though: How do you remote control the MP3able CD Changer? I guess it cannot be done through the PCM, correct? How does it work.

Originally posted by bking
excuse the ignorance...mp3 cd's? CD's burned from mp3 players? I bought an ipod, copied everything I wanted (1500 songs, still only 5 gigs of a 40 gig disk!) had a wire run from the reciever and hook in the ipod. Don't carry the 50 or 60 cd's anymore. Nice..
Yea... well of course I talk about CD-ROMs, carrying MP3 files, burnt in standard ISO CD-ROM burners. But I thought that everybody understands what I talk about when I say "MP3 CDs"

The I-Pod solution makes sense too... where did you put the I-Pod and how did you wire your receiver? Did someone do that for you or do I just have to get that FM modulator and can plug it into the receiver of the PCM myself?

Sorry for all that questions, but I HATE the fact that car manufacturers seem to totally ignore the MP3-format and offer expensive, but uneffective audio CD changers instead. I need my full music collection and I cannot install a 1,000 disc cd-changer...

Last edited by Marx; 01-26-2005 at 12:23 PM.
Old 01-26-2005, 01:40 PM
My installer put a separate controller for the CD changer in the console just below the radio.

Old 01-26-2005, 04:30 PM
@bking: How do you supply your I-Pod with power? Are you running it on batteries?

Old 01-26-2005, 05:46 PM
bking is infamous around these parts
ipod runs on it's own battery, yes. Lasts same as with headphones, as far as I can tell, hrs and hrs anyway. I have the cigarette charger when needed.
Sound is the same as if you slide in a cd, awesome. One wire that plugs into the ipod, same as your headphones. Installer routed it from the dash, under the center console so it comes out under the drivers seat. When not in use it's tucked out of sight. Cost was $130, cheap for what I end up with. No fumbling in the back for the cd case etc.
I bought the rubberized clear case for ipod, and the ipod sit's right on top the ashtray cover, soft rubber keeps it there even under aggressive driving. You do control all selections from the ipod, except volume.

Old 01-26-2005, 06:23 PM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
I was sure I saw, a year or more ago, a replacement OEM looking CD player @ carnewal that also played MP3s

Mike

Old 01-26-2005, 08:19 PM
DAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to beholdDAVE W is a splendid one to behold
becker sells and aux audio (and video) input plug for their units that plugs into the back and provides two RCA inputs (L&R Stereo) that can be used for any auxilary audio input. Its like $20 or less and comes with radio removal tools and great instructions, etc... I used this for my MP3 player and ran an RCA-to mini headphone plug adapter to my center console. No remote control from the headunit, but I don't need it as I just pick a playlist when I get in and let it play....it works awesome.

If you need remote control from the headunit you can get an ipod and use a blitzsafe or similar unit. They allow you to replace your CD changer with a MP3 player and control it in a similar manner. They don't list becker as a specific application but I have seen them adpated to many applications that are not listed. Any decent mobil audio installer should be able to help you with this...

dave

Old 01-26-2005, 09:04 PM
Pioneer Member
Scott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond repute
BTW, I have that Becker cable and don't need it. I'd be happy to sell it for $15 + shipping.

Old 01-26-2005, 10:31 PM
Bking, thanks for the detailled report. I guess I will try to install this IPod thing. Sounds like a clean and solid solution to me. Thanks again.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: MP3 CD-Changer in 996 TT?