996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

EPL GT28 Flash Feedback

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 09:18 PM
LamboTT has a spectacular aura aboutLamboTT has a spectacular aura about
EPL GT28 Flash Feedback

UPDATE: SEE MORE POSTS BELOW. EPL IS A GREAT TUNER IN MY BOOK!

EPL GT28 Flash Feedback---I give it 4 out of 5 stars

Basically the car runs great but the customer service is lacking.

I originally had there original Stock K16 flash, Tony at EPL let me upgrade to a GT28 flash when I bought some GT28 turbos from another 6speeder. Tony told me that it would take a couple flashes to get the boost at 1.2 bar as the wastegates on the EVO GT700 and TIAL turbos all varied with different boost maps.

I've tried maybe 2 or 3 maps with slightly different boost variations. The first map took a little to get but then the next couple were relatively quick to get from EPL via there software.

Since April 17th I've email Tony at EPL with no response. Called and spoke with Dave at EPL and forwarded my email to him, no response. Called and spoke with Robin at EPL a couple times, forwarded my email to Robin and he responded a couple weeks ago.-

"I'll get back with you later today. Sorry for the delay.

Cheers

Robin"

Moral of the story is I love my flash and the car runs good BUT the boost above 4500rpm drops up to 1.1 bar---1.0 bar. If your in a hurry to get something done from EPL, you might want plan for a longer time line. I emailed Robin again 2 days ago and still no answer from EPL...

Last edited by LamboTT; 06-14-2010 at 09:46 PM.
Old 06-03-2010, 10:16 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
It gets busy during this season... lol

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 06-03-2010, 10:20 PM
Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !
Mark is right it is a very busy season for people. I know both Tony and even my standalone tuner (Justin N) have been SUPER busy. Justin was gone 2.5 weeks traveling all around America doing tunes and just got back about a week ago. I also know Tony has been very busy because I've called a few times and he's either been on the dyno or working on other things when I call for him. My calls are usually not about tuning, but I've known Tony for almost 2 years now so I bug him about random stuff (Today's purpose if I could have talked to him is farm animals I should get for my friend trying to get his Ag. exemption!).

Once he gets some time he will nail your tune down and you'll be even more pleased with everything!!

Old 06-03-2010, 10:39 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
what kind of GT28s do you have? have you tried adjusting the wastegates?

Old 06-03-2010, 11:04 PM
The Gt28's have a Tial complete cold side and center section but uses the stock exhaust housing bored out. GT700 from EVO right before TIAL came out with there complete bolton package.

I'm sure I could modify the wastegates but Todd at Protomotive said he set them to open evenly before he sent them to me. I don't really want to throw them out of wack.

I'm hoping that someone at EPL will get back to me one day with another boost adjustment cause I think it runs good besides that.

Old 06-04-2010, 07:22 AM
Former Vendor
Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !Tony@epl Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Soundeffects
EPL GT28 Flash Feedback---I give it 4 out of 5 stars

Basically the car runs great but the customer service is lacking.

I originally had there original Stock K16 flash, Tony at EPL let me upgrade to a GT28 flash when I bought some GT28 turbos from another 6speeder. Tony told me that it would take a couple flashes to get the boost at 1.2 bar as the wastegates on the EVO GT700 and TIAL turbos all varied with different boost maps.

I've tried maybe 2 or 3 maps with slightly different boost variations. The first map took a little to get but then the next couple were relatively quick to get from EPL via there software.

Since April 17th I've email Tony at EPL with no response. Called and spoke with Dave at EPL and forwarded my email to him, no response. Called and spoke with Robin at EPL a couple times, forwarded my email to Robin and he responded a couple weeks ago.-

"I'll get back with you later today. Sorry for the delay.

Cheers

Robin"

Moral of the story is I love my flash and the car runs good BUT the boost above 4500rpm drops up to 1.1 bar---1.0 bar. If your in a hurry to get something done from EPL, you might want plan for a longer time line. I emailed Robin again 2 days ago and still no answer from EPL...
Hi,

I dont see an email from you on the 17th... however Im fairly sure we spoke since then, since a new file was added to the server on Wensday the 21st that you have not yet loaded.

This would make the turn around on the file 2 working days.

I will follow up here with the guys to discuss any communications we may have missed.

Sorry for any confusion. Let me know how I can help!

Thanks,
Tony

Last edited by Tony@epl; 06-04-2010 at 07:26 AM.
Old 06-04-2010, 08:48 AM
Well thats good news then. If I had known it was on the server then I wouldn't of kept emailing EPL, lol.

Emails: Tony 4/29, Dave 4/29, Robin 5/11, Robin 5/20, Robin emailed me back on 5/21 apologizing for the delay, Robin 6/1

Thanks for the update Tony, I'm sure it was probably just a miscommunication issue then. I'll try the new flash and update you after.

Old 06-04-2010, 11:59 AM
btapp is a glorious beacon of lightbtapp is a glorious beacon of lightbtapp is a glorious beacon of lightbtapp is a glorious beacon of lightbtapp is a glorious beacon of light
I have had nothing but a good experience since I switched from GIAC. Tony is a good dude! Hang in there, nothing is a quick as you think it is when you start. Ask me how I know! I could have parted the seas with Moses faster than getting my injectors installed on my car!

Old 06-14-2010, 09:44 PM
UPDATE:

New Tune runs good. Some of the higher gears were the car has more time to adjust boost I suppose it holds at 1.2 bar. In some of the lower gears 4 and under, it will spike to 1.3 bar sometimes. It is low in the 11's at 1.3bar and this is accurate from brand new Bosch O2 sensors last week.

Tony-am I ok or do I need more adjustment? Thanks.

Old 06-15-2010, 08:22 AM
Basic Sponsor
Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !
What other upgrades are you running to accomodate the bigger turbos?

997TT SlowBerry - 205.0 mph 1/2 Mile WR Nov 2018, 9.7 @ 170 mph 1/4 Mile , 3.2 60-130 mph , 2.4 100-150 mph , 1420whp E85
ESMOTOR | DO88 | TPC DSC | SYVECS | COBB | IPD | KLINE | XONA | AMS | ID | ERP | SACHS | TURBOSMART | CSF | DODSON |
Old 06-15-2010, 08:43 AM
2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Powell
but I've known Tony for almost 2 years now so I bug him about random stuff (Today's purpose if I could have talked to him is farm animals I should get for my friend trying to get his Ag. exemption!).
I have a couple of kids that will qualify for your Exemption!

Old 06-15-2010, 08:46 AM
Mods Related to engine---Custom X Pipe exhaust with no cats, 5 bar, upgraded DV, Upgraded Clutch, Iridium Plugs one heat range colder, K&N filter, stock IC's.

Old 06-15-2010, 09:44 AM
Banned
Robin@EPL is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Soundeffects
UPDATE:

New Tune runs good. Some of the higher gears were the car has more time to adjust boost I suppose it holds at 1.2 bar. In some of the lower gears 4 and under, it will spike to 1.3 bar sometimes. It is low in the 11's at 1.3bar and this is accurate from brand new Bosch O2 sensors last week.

Tony-am I ok or do I need more adjustment? Thanks.
This is just fine!