996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Any Former Dodge Viper Owners?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 05:26 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by unvmy996
rms leak on a turbo is very rare . 2nd gear pop out not so much accumulator /slave leak pretty common but not hard to fix and prevent it from happening ever again.
Yup. RMS only on naturally aspirated cars, 2nd gear popout usually only on 01 and early 02's, and accumulator/slave is a pain, but not that expensive. It's expensive to convert to GT2 clutch setup, but then you never touch it again.

Old 06-12-2010, 09:08 PM
r25558 is infamous around these parts
Sold my SRT-10 today, so now time to pickup it's replacement.

Debating between the 996 tt, C6 Z06, and MKIV Supra.

Whatever I get will be modded, so I'm doing my research for the time being.

I dont think I'd be happy with less than 700whp, as the Viper is the slowest car I've owned in almost 10 years. (It made 680whp with the Paxton.)

Old 06-13-2010, 09:37 PM
LamboTT has a spectacular aura aboutLamboTT has a spectacular aura about
If your looking at a Supra, beaware that generally speaking their great for going fast straight but the high center of gravity in the car makes it normally not a very good car for going around corners.

I had a 850whp Supra on race gas and it wasn't nearly as fun to drive on the street as the porsche turbo is.

Old 07-30-2010, 08:17 AM
r25558 is infamous around these parts
Wanted to update the thread:

Have been on the hunt for the past two months for a replacement to the Viper.

Feel confident the 996tt is in my best interest, and the wife agrees.

Last edited by r25558; 07-30-2010 at 03:56 PM.
Old 07-30-2010, 08:34 AM
2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute
One difference between the 996/997TT and all the above mentioned cars are front engine vs rear engine power source. With running a higher horse power 996tt (modded) its hard to keep the nose down unless a good suspension is in place, not to mention tight turns, if you convert to RW from AWD, different feel breaking into the turns when tracking is what I have experienced. FWIW

Last edited by 2muchtime; 07-30-2010 at 08:40 AM.
Old 07-30-2010, 01:50 PM
RudyTT is a splendid one to beholdRudyTT is a splendid one to beholdRudyTT is a splendid one to beholdRudyTT is a splendid one to beholdRudyTT is a splendid one to beholdRudyTT is a splendid one to behold
I had a BPU (basic performance upgrade, consisting of mid pipe, catback exhaust and boost controller) Supra back in the late '90s and sold it shortly after the Fast & the Furious came out. Here's my view on the car:

Pros: fairly comfortable car and it was very reliable. Never encountered a single problem during my ownership. Loved the targa top design. Sort of like having a convertible without dealing with a soft top.

Cons: The car didn't feel that fast (at least my BPU Supra didn't). Very little sensation of speed. I also had a RX-7 at the time. Despite being slower than the Supra in a straight line, it felt much faster. The attention it attracted, which ultimately caused me to sell the car. Prior to Fast and the Furious, it was a niche car. Would occasionally get a wave from other Japanese sports car owners. After the movie came out, I couldn't go anywhere without some kid in a Prelude, Eclipse, etc. wanting to race,insults from Mustang/Camaro drivers, etc. After couple kids followed me home, I had enough and sold it.

Last time I checked the prices on Supras, I was shocked by what I saw. I think I paid around $18k for my clean, low mileage, bone stock Supra back then. To get into another unmolested, no history Supra, I would need to bring at least $40k (not sure if these asking prices are anywhere close to what they are actually changing hands for). Not really into over paying for a car just because of a ricer movie.

Also, IMHO, I think the Supra "advantage" just isn't there anymore. Back then (circa mid to late '90s), if you didn't want American and wanted a somewhat affordable sports car, you had your choices of 300ZX (hard to work on), RX-7 (notorious for unreliability), 3000GT VR-4 (too heavy) E36 M3 (hard to make power without $$$) or the Supra.

For what the Supra is commanding now, I can get into a 996 Turbo. For just a bit more, I can hop into a GT-R, if one were to stick with Japanese cars.

Note that my opinions are based on my experiences with stock - BPU Supra. IMHO, at ~$40k, it is no longer a good deal. I have no direct experience with single turbo Supras, so I can't speak about their reliability, value, etc.