996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Alternator is OK and Battery is OK - But still getting low Voltage reading

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 05:00 PM
Mz3bo is infamous around these parts
Alternator is OK and Battery is OK - But still getting low Voltage reading

Hi,

Some of you may have read my previous thread about my voltmeter reading.
Thinking it was the alternator, after 3 hours we were able to take it out and had it sent to a rebuilt shop. The shop called me thie morning and said that everything is fine, that it is like new condition and showing 13.8 volt no load and 12.9 volt full load (don't know what it means or what they are refering to).

The problem is the same. When I start my car, my volt meter is showing a steady 13.8 volts. However, once the car heats up, or after 10 minutes driving, it drops to 11.9-12.3 volts and then if I stop the car, it will not start again (due to a dead battery).

Neways, the battery is also brand new so I really need some opinions on what ca be wrong. All ground wires, including the battery one are tight to the chassis.

Thanks

Old 06-09-2010, 05:27 PM
jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !
Money down the drain.....

Why did you do that? I took some reading on my car and they were almost the same as yours and I told you that I don't think it was the alternator. Bad move

Old 06-09-2010, 05:33 PM
Originally Posted by jpflip
Why did you do that? I took some reading on my car and they were almost the same as yours and I told you that I don't think it was the alternator. Bad move
Jp... I am crying ... I was telling myself... battery is new and everything else is ok... so can it be the alternator... So I took it off to be 100%%% sure... and it was not...

What is strange is WHY at startup is seems fine and then gets lower and lower (voltage) with the time...

Old 06-09-2010, 06:06 PM
$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !$manager Is a GOD !
if the alternator is putting out the voltage under load, the first thing I would do, without hesitation, is to quadrapule check each and every ground strap on the car.

If you are putting out 11.9-12.3 under a load, the car should start pretty much every time with a new battery just after you shut it down. Remember, with DC current, all those little electrons flow from negative to positive....

Old 06-09-2010, 06:12 PM
jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Mz3bo
Jp... I am crying ... I was telling myself... battery is new and everything else is ok... so can it be the alternator... So I took it off to be 100%%% sure... and it was not...

What is strange is WHY at startup is seems fine and then gets lower and lower (voltage) with the time...
I can feel your discouragement and I really feel sorry for you. That is why many of us, with our little experience and knowledge, are trying very hard to help people to fix and troubleshoot and especially to stay away from expensive repair.

I reread again your first post https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ity-drive.html
and you seem to have a short of some kind (pinch wire ???). New battery, good alternator, still drop in voltage.... Remember the last big job on that car was the engine removal ???????

Old 06-09-2010, 06:24 PM
Originally Posted by jpflip
I can feel your discouragement and I really feel sorry for you. That is why many of us, with our little experience and knowledge, are trying very hard to help people to fix and troubleshoot and especially to stay away from expensive repair.

I reread again your first post https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ity-drive.html
and you seem to have a short of some kind (pinch wire ???). New battery, good alternator, still drop in voltage.... Remember the last big job on that car was the engine removal ???????
Jp.. Can the new battery be faulty ? The battery is new, but I newer saw or was able to see the green light trough the little glass... even after a 24hrs charge...

Old 06-09-2010, 06:33 PM
Jp.. Can the new battery be faulty ? The battery is new, but I newer saw or was able to see the green light trough the little glass... even after a 24hrs charge...
Of course it is a possibility. The green light should be "on". The best thing to do, since you always got a warranty with a new battery (I hope) get it back to where you bought it, explain your worried and get a new one. . Easier and cheapest things first!

Old 06-09-2010, 09:21 PM
Mad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant future
could the belt be slipping? or voltage regulator

Last edited by Mad Ness; 06-09-2010 at 09:24 PM.
Old 06-10-2010, 06:13 AM
Originally Posted by Mad Ness
could the belt be slipping? or voltage regulator
Hi,

I don't think the belt is slipping as it is clear and looks new. No noise etc... Second, I took the alternator out and the guy who test it said it was like new, showing 13.8V no load and then 12.9V full load...

Old 06-10-2010, 07:11 AM
Mad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant future
Hi,

I don't think the belt is slipping as it is clear and looks new. No noise etc... Second, I took the alternator out and the guy who test it said it was like new, showing 13.8V no load and then 12.9V full load...
i remember reading on this forum somewhere a case where an alternator checked out OK, and the problem was with the regulator only. I dont know how alternators are tested. i wonder if the regulator and the drive pully are included in this test. probably are...

if the car's running at the time it's shut off, and doesnt start again and batts dead. I'm thinking something's draining the battery. similar to leaving a light on. thinking this drain has something to do with the alt. since it's generating low voltage, or perhaps the drain is pulling the voltage down. Don't know anything about electrics, so just shooting in the dark. hope you figure it out soon. this kind of stuff sucks.

Old 06-10-2010, 11:48 AM
smistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond reputesmistry007 has a reputation beyond repute
battery swap is relatively easy- why not just swap batteries, even though your battery is new, and then see?

Old 06-10-2010, 01:16 PM
pinoy911tt is a splendid one to beholdpinoy911tt is a splendid one to beholdpinoy911tt is a splendid one to beholdpinoy911tt is a splendid one to beholdpinoy911tt is a splendid one to beholdpinoy911tt is a splendid one to behold
you sure you reconnected the single blue wire in the back of the alternator when you put it back on the car? i've done that mistake before after putting on a new alternator and found was still not charging and it was the blue wire not snapped in all the way

Old 06-10-2010, 03:37 PM
Look at the post from "logray". It is really interesting....http://www.renntech.org/forums/index...tt-alternator/

Old 06-10-2010, 03:41 PM
Hi,

You want to see if the battery is at fault!!!! Only one cheap solution. Comes to my place and I will switch your battery with mine for a couple of days and we will see if it is the battery or if you got a short somewhere... Just PM me and I will give you my address and we can schedule a day for the swap... Of course free of charge....

Old 06-10-2010, 04:43 PM
Frank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond repute
Hi MZ3PO, I have the same problem as you and have a post out as well so I will be following your with interest. Try reading my post . 996tt Low voltage reading on Gauge .I am at the stage of removing my alternator, but I dont really want to unless I have some more info to work on. It could be something else. I do suspect a diode pack but we will see.
PM me if you wish and we can confer notes. This is really PI$$!NG me off to be honest after all the other problems I have had.
Touch base with me it might help us both.
Frank

anybody else want to share notes feel free.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Alternator is OK and Battery is OK - But still getting low Voltage reading