996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Softronic vs. GIAC tuning...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 11:27 PM
charleedog is infamous around these parts
Softronic vs. GIAC tuning...

So I've been invited to go have a "canyon driving" session next weekend about 300 miles inland with a good buddy of mine (he's bringing his M3)...

Thing is, I need to get my ECU re-flashed as it's currently in "stock" mode. Which is causing some interesting, sporadic and nonsensical engine codes, CEL lamps, etc. (The result of a stock ECU trying to figure out what to do with larger turbos, larger plenum, gt2 intercoolers, lubricated air intake, etc. The warning lights magically disappear each time on restart.)

As for why it's in stock mode? Because my local (dumbass) Porsche dealer decided to do a complete ECU reset without my approval. Perfect.

Anyway...

My options are:

1) Ship my ECU down to GMG Racing where it was first tuned by the original owner and get it re-flashed. (Something like $150 or so, plus FedEx there and back)

OR

2) Go with Softronic, and tune the car directly from an internet connection. (Around $2K for a custom program, but instant)

Now before everyone jumps in and says "GMG" - which I'll still probably do later on at some point - I need to make it clear that I'm in Canada.

I've done a lot of cross border shipping in a previous business, and even with the overnight courier services, getting something stuck in Customs (which can take ages) is a toss of the dice.

I can practically guarantee you that something going over the border in both directions, "express" or not, is gonna get tied up in customs. It will realistically take the better part of 3 weeks.

Are there any Softronic customers on the board who'd like to chime in and share their experiences with a custom tune for a modded 996TT?

That would be highly appreciated...

Thanks!

-Chris

Old 06-09-2010, 11:53 PM
Mad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant future
i've got more or less same mods as you. using softronics as well. regarding performance differences (between flashes), i can't say, have only tried this one. But dan at vivid is fast with shipping (u still need the cable), and the softronics files usually come overnight. If you make your situation known to dan, he can expedite. Have done 2 flashes, both smooth, no issues on server at their side. just make sure to follow instructions.

Old 06-10-2010, 12:06 AM
RudyTT is a splendid one to beholdRudyTT is a splendid one to beholdRudyTT is a splendid one to beholdRudyTT is a splendid one to beholdRudyTT is a splendid one to beholdRudyTT is a splendid one to behold
My experience with Softtronic has been mixed.

I recently bought a 996 Turbo out of state with Softronic flash, Tubi exhaust and Vivid Racing Intake, amongst other mods.

I had to pass California smog check in order to register my car, so I removed the intake (didn't want to risk failing visual) and took the car in. The car failed the smog check by a WIDE margin (CO% was way over the maximum allowed).

I had a stock exhaust re-installed and the CO% was still way too high. With time running out, I gave my mechanic consent to reset the ECU with a PIWIS. I passed the smog test with flying colors immediately after that change.

Something wasn't right with the Softronic flash I had as it was telling the ECU to dump lots of fuel while the car was in neutral, not seeing any load or boost.

When I asked Vivid (where the previous owner got the Softronic flash from) if I could get a re-flash (since the car has been flashed back to stock with a PIWIS), Vivid said it wasn't up to them to decide since I am not the original owner. Softronic has been informed of my situation, but half a week later, I have yet to hear anything from them. So I might be SOL...

I will say this about the flash though. Despite making the car run pig rich, the car made noticeably more power with the Softronic flash than it is on stock program (judging by my butt dyno).

Old 06-10-2010, 12:11 AM
Thanks Mad & Rudy

Performance is definitely an aim, but moreso I just don't want the car to be running lean or otherwise in "limp mode" all the time due to false codes (and inherent hardware differences).

My goal with this tune is to basically get my engine running properly, given the mods it runs.

Performance will go hand in hand with that.

Thanks again for your insights - much appreciated

-Chris

Old 06-10-2010, 12:16 AM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Both companies are great...

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 06-10-2010, 06:35 AM
robertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud of
Go with REVO.

Old 06-10-2010, 08:20 AM
powderjay is a splendid one to beholdpowderjay is a splendid one to beholdpowderjay is a splendid one to beholdpowderjay is a splendid one to beholdpowderjay is a splendid one to beholdpowderjay is a splendid one to beholdpowderjay is a splendid one to beholdpowderjay is a splendid one to behold
I have the softronic flash. Feels stronger, but clutch now occasionaly slips under wot. car only has 12k on her. Still running stock plugs and get an occasional miss at highway speeds when lightly letting off the gas. So far I'm happy, was slightly upset that the program went on sale 2days after making my purchase.

Old 06-10-2010, 09:16 AM
btapp is a glorious beacon of lightbtapp is a glorious beacon of lightbtapp is a glorious beacon of lightbtapp is a glorious beacon of lightbtapp is a glorious beacon of light
My personal opinion is that GIAC is behind the times. I had my tune for 2 months and just switched to Tony's program. I haven't installed it yet but am looking forward to the results.

Old 06-10-2010, 09:42 AM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
OP - You will be limited with what you are able to do with your car customize down the road. You can grow with us. Not to mention the tune will be specific for your vehicle, octane, etc. Also you DO NOT have to remove your ECU, simply get a cable from us and follow the instructions at www.vrtuned.com/installation.

Last edited by vividracing; 02-04-2014 at 05:18 PM.
Old 06-10-2010, 09:44 AM
Mad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant future
if you're using as a patch only, just go with one of the major tuners, the one that can deliver the fastest versus price. but honestly think most will do just as good as GIAC so may as well shop for the one you like and keep it. think with most of the flashes, you have a copy of the file, and the cable so can reload anytime or revert to stock anytime.

Old 06-10-2010, 09:45 AM
Former Vendor
Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !
+1 on Softronic, Scott Slauson has always been a pleasure to work with and the knowledge base that the company has is amazing.

Old 06-10-2010, 10:26 AM
Thanks for all the input guys, I think I'll go with Softronic - especially as Vivid mentioned it may be easier to adjust tuning (from my location anyway) with the Softronic program should I decide to add/remove hardware.

I'll have to place an order today

Thanks!

-Chris

Old 06-10-2010, 10:28 AM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
Give me a call and I will get you handled. 4809663040 x222

Old 06-10-2010, 10:29 AM
Sounds good, it will have to be later this afternoon (leaving for a breakfast conference right now)

Thanks again

-Chris

Old 06-10-2010, 10:34 AM
Originally Posted by powderjay
I have the softronic flash. Feels stronger, but clutch now occasionaly slips under wot. car only has 12k on her. Still running stock plugs and get an occasional miss at highway speeds when lightly letting off the gas. So far I'm happy, was slightly upset that the program went on sale 2days after making my purchase.
That's probably your MAF and/or MAF sensor dude. Not your plugs.

Probably worth going with 997 coils and performance plugs anyway at some point, but my car does EXACTLY the same thing as you described and I believe it's because the MAF sensor doesn't know how to react to the increased volume of air-flow from larger turbos.

Also, you may want to ensure that your engine is getting enough fuel. I'm guessing you're running a larger plenum and stuff right?

Might be worth a look...

Cheers

-Chris

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Softronic vs. GIAC tuning...