996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

driver feedback suspension mod suggestions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 11:38 AM
Mad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant future
driver feedback suspension mod suggestions

Have done a search already but not much info on some specific parts or combination there of and some of the info found centered around different set ups/applications running different tire sizes, RWD, full on circuit, autocross... etc etc. Have already read through dozens of posts... looking for some conclusions.

Car will likely not see the track. Have two other cars for that. But do drive the 996tt hard on the street (carefully) both high speed highways and mountain twists, emphasis on cornering. Similar driving techniques to track but won't be pushing it to the limit, and won't be forcing too much oversteer. Must leave buffer for errors and unanticipated situations. Just want smooth fast driving.

Coming from an exige and nsx, love the power of this 911 and although it handles well, just don't get the feedback I'm used to. Have owned other JDM AWD's (older gen GTR, EVO) before but they were lighter and felt more direct and nimble. 996tt just feels a bit muted and without the driver inputs I'm used to, just don't feel confident pushing the car further with out more driver feedback. For example, the play in the steering wheel really bothers me.

I know the car's limited to what it is, and fine with that. Not looking to make it into a GT3 or GT2. Prefer to keep the AWD and full interior. Noise is secondary, but from what I know the listed parts below dont make a bunch of noise (until parts wear out), please confirm on that.

Roads here can be rough so that's one consideration. Already got H&R sways with drop links F/R, KW V3s, LSD, wevo engine mounts and alignment in attachement. Running 19s 235/295 advan ad08 - prefer to stay with these wheel/tire sizes.

JDM tuner advised me for previous jdm cars not to use pillow ***** in a suspension system unless all the components are solid, otherwise rubber bushing components get overloaded and move around. From what I understand, monoball/heimjoint/pillowballs aren't ideal for street but have looked around and doesn't appear there is a complete hard bush kit for this car.

Some of you guys drive road coarses and have tried it all. Would love to hear your opinions, pros/cons of the following. And advice on alignment set up for AWD.
  • GT3/GT2 lower arm - think most agree this is a necessary first step.
  • Front bumpsteer links
  • Rear toe links
  • Dog bone control arms
  • front suspension mount plates camber adjustable
  • Rear pillowball suspension mounts
Note - I should have posted this before I got the above parts already... lol since had a credit with vivid. At first was just going to get the gt3 lower arms as I have a suspension creak/squeak noise upfront to correct as well but caught a bad case of the 24hr mod flu. Better late than sorry.

Thank you!

Attached Images   

Last edited by Mad Ness; 06-17-2010 at 05:40 AM. Reason: took out vids
Old 06-15-2010, 04:25 PM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
I changed all those parts you have listed and they do tighten the steering and quickness as to how the car reacts. Turn in is quicker and when properly aligned, understeer is reduced. Overall the car is way more responsive. You still have to deal with the car's weight in any case.

Old 06-15-2010, 08:02 PM
Mad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant future
thanks for feedback, that's encouraging to know. If I deleted the rear seats, the reclineables could be swapped for buckets. But if I go there, there's really no turning back. I thought about composite doors/roof, but that again would require rear seats to come out and cage to go in. guess I'll see how the suspension improves things first. will visit the weight reduction thread again but if i recall, not much else significant can be removed other than the carpet, audio, AC ... but i drive this thing to work and temps get 30C plus high humidity. 4 seats and AWD was one of the main the reason I got a turbo over the gt3. it was supposed to be the "sporty comfortable car"

Old 06-15-2010, 08:20 PM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
The weight is the one draw back to the turbo. Unless you want to gut the interior you just have to accept it.

Old 06-15-2010, 08:33 PM
Originally Posted by landjet
The weight is the one draw back to the turbo. Unless you want to gut the interior you just have to accept it.
Yes, it's looking this way. May I ask what alignment specs you're using? thnx

Old 06-16-2010, 07:25 AM
-2.25 camber front, -1.20 rear{because the Nitto NT01's don't like much camber in the rear, different tires can take more}, toe is .02 front, .1 rear, caster is presently at 9 but will be installing RSS thrust bushings next week to bring it back to the 7.30-8.0 range.

I think I read that you have KW shocks. What spring set are you using with them?

Old 06-16-2010, 08:12 AM
-2.25 camber front, -1.20 rear{because the Nitto NT01's don't like much camber in the rear, different tires can take more}, toe is .02 front, .1 rear, caster is presently at 9 but will be installing RSS thrust bushings next week to bring it back to the 7.30-8.0 range.

I think I read that you have KW shocks. What spring set are you using with them?
thanks for that. are you running AWD?

yes KW v3's. Don't remember having a choice, these should be the specs Front: Progressive Rear: 630 (springs are yellow)

You putting in similar to this part (photo of 997)? Didn't mess with caster in previous cars, don't know too much about it.

Old 06-16-2010, 10:34 AM
Yes, that's the part. Since my new tires are 245/40/18 and 315/30/18, I have to use the thrust bushings to move the caster back some for front tire clearance. Besides, when I changed the suspension parts without the thrust bushings it made the caster way too high.

I'm still AWD, I like it.

Old 06-17-2010, 05:40 AM
Yes, that's the part. Since my new tires are 245/40/18 and 315/30/18, I have to use the thrust bushings to move the caster back some for front tire clearance. Besides, when I changed the suspension parts without the thrust bushings it made the caster way too high.

I'm still AWD, I like it.
so 245/315 rubs with out the caster adjustment ... where does it rub? Are there any other clearance issues with this tire size? may i know your wheel widths and offset also? thanks larry, magnus

Old 06-17-2010, 10:09 AM
Magnus, I'm on stock wheels, 18x8, offset 50mm, and 18x11, offset 45mm. With a high front caster the 245's rub at the front of the fender liner. With less caster the wheel is pulled back away from the front enough to clear. There may be need of a 7mm spacer on the rear for the 315's but will have to see for sure once the new tires are mounted.