996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Porsche Throttle body upgrade ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 01:20 PM
f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !
Porsche Throttle body upgrade ?

I know theirs a few dozen threads on throttle bodys. But is there any from Porsche that are bigger and straight bolt on ? I'm getting mine replaced at the dealer atm. So if someone can tell me asap. So I can get an upgrade that would be awesome.

TIA

Old 06-15-2010, 01:34 PM
aroonkl is a jewel in the rougharoonkl is a jewel in the rougharoonkl is a jewel in the rougharoonkl is a jewel in the rough
Enrique, it won't benefit much. Say throat is bigger but mouth and pipes is the same. Not much will fill in more.
And later if you go with big plenum, your new TB will be just a waste cause too small and won't fit.
Do it once & Do it right is the cheapest and less headache.
IPD 75mm, TB 75mm and 75mm Y-pipes.=
Ask me I was already in your shoes once.
Originally Posted by f1crazydriver
I know theirs a few dozen threads on throttle bodys. But is there any from Porsche that are bigger and straight bolt on ? I'm getting mine replaced at the dealer atm. So if someone can tell me asap. So I can get an upgrade that would be awesome.

TIA

Old 06-15-2010, 03:08 PM
alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !
the cayenne one

Old 06-15-2010, 03:28 PM
MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by f1crazydriver

TIA
I would get the 75mm throttle body and the 75mm IPD plenum. They will noticably help spool and top end power. There is also an 83mm TB and plenum but I dont think your car is heavily enough modified to benefit from extra size.

Old 06-15-2010, 03:53 PM
robertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud of
Be careful with this mod. Seems to be harder to tune and reliability is an issue.

Old 06-15-2010, 04:11 PM
rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by robertp
Be careful with this mod. Seems to be harder to tune and reliability is an issue.
Robert what is the problem the TB bigger cause for reliability ?? Thanks.

Old 06-15-2010, 04:24 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
LEave stock alone... we at 700 rwhp almost never upgrade it... no need...

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 06-15-2010, 04:35 PM
MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !
Enrique,
May be more info than you want, but here are some of my PBox plots before and after the 75mm TB/IPD Plenum mod. The red line is mph after the mod and the blue line is mph before mod. The green line is acceleration in gs after the mod and the black line is accel in gs before.
As you can see the mod gives faster spool and higher low range power. Power in the mid range is closer but still more after TB/plenum. There is also significantly more high range power. Overall the car goes 60-100 mph in 0.2s less after the mods. This is about a 6% improvement or roughly 30whp at this power level. The car was a GT700. Atmospheric conditions were essentially the same.

The TB/plenum were a PITA to install due to cramped work space but if you can lower engine a tad it is much more accessable. I have experianced no reliability problems.

If you cant see graph well enough, download it and magnify it in PS or similar photography app...

Attached Images  
Old 06-15-2010, 04:46 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MBailey
e line is mph before mod. The green line is acceleration in gs after the mod and the black line is accel in gs before.
As you can see the mod gives faster spool and higher low range power. Power in the mid range is closer but still more after TB/plenum. There is also significantly more high range power. Overall the car goes 60-100 mph in 0.2s less after the mods. This is about a 6% improvement or roughly 30whp at this power level. The car was a GT700. Atmospheric conditions were essentially the same.
Not going to knock it because I have one myself... are you talking about the TB upgrade or the Tb and some plenum? if thats the case then the figures you mentioned are not really due to just the bigger TB...
Also, your set up may have done it but that does not mean someone with stock injectors, 18gs for example, will also add 30rwhp....
If we start adding HP based on parts added then what if I add the plenum to the turbos( 30rwhp) then the headers, (15rwhp) then catless 3" exhaust(15rwhp), then bigger hoses and Y pipe( another 30rwhp).. you soon will end up with a 800rwhp but in reality its 650 lets say....
Dont get me wrong I have all the bells and whistles on my car... and I cant get 30rwhp more just by swapping TBs... but in your case I think your talking about the complete TB and splitter..... and will that help? sure.. but differently on each car...
I would rather put that $1600 into a turbo upgrade then the TB... but thats just me...
BTW, not disputing your findings... I just have my own view based on experience on a handful of builds... including my own...

click to view

Old 06-15-2010, 05:06 PM
Originally Posted by MARKSKI@911tuning
Not going to knock it because I have one myself... are you talking about the TB upgrade or the Tb and some plenum? if thats the case then the figures you mentioned are not really due to just the bigger TB...
Also, your set up may have done it but that does not mean someone with stock injectors, 18gs for example, will also add 30rwhp....
If we start adding HP based on parts added then what if I add the plenum to the turbos( 30rwhp) then the headers, (15rwhp) then catless 3" exhaust(15rwhp), then bigger hoses and Y pipe( another 30rwhp).. you soon will end up with a 800rwhp but in reality its 650 lets say....
Dont get me wrong I have all the bells and whistles on my car... and I cant get 30rwhp more just by swapping TBs... but in your case I think your talking about the complete TB and splitter..... and will that help? sure.. but differently on each car...
I would rather put that $1600 into a turbo upgrade then the TB... but thats just me...
BTW, not disputing your findings... I just have my own view based on experience on a handful of builds... including my own...
I agree with you Mark...
My results are with both the TB and the plenum. I think if Enrique is going to do the TB he should also do the plenum since the stock unit is a disgrace for such a fine car.
I agree that its easier and cheaper just to slap big turbos on the car and force the air through smaller passages. However, I wanted to keep the small turbos on my car because I liked how it drove on the street.
Sure his results will likely vary from mine since his car presumably has fewer mods.

Old 06-15-2010, 06:06 PM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MARKSKI@911tuning
LEave stock alone... we at 700 rwhp almost never upgrade it... no need...

the voice of reason...$1600+ labor to maybe gain 30 whp

I have been considering this mod, but if I do it, it will be the vivid version for half the price, not the ipd.

Old 06-15-2010, 06:16 PM
f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !
My car is in for warranty work. I'm going to pay out of pocket for price difference between lets say a stcok tb and the cayenne. But their seems to be mixed results on this.

I only have a flash and by pass pipes. Anyways, thanks guys, keep the opinions comming. I really appreciate the post with lots of information.

Old 06-15-2010, 06:17 PM
Basic Sponsor
Originally Posted by Prche951
the voice of reason...$1600+ labor to maybe gain 30 whp

I have been considering this mod, but if I do it, it will be the vivid version for half the price, not the ipd.
I mean if you have the money its great.. but most guys are very cost conscious... with that said, I rather put that money into the plenum that goes from the airbox to the turbos... vs the TB/Splitter... but thats just me...
OR, put the extra money into a good set of turbos... so lets say you have 4K but for $5600 you can get so much more turbo... I would get the turbo... assuming all other basic power adders are in place...

click to view

Old 06-15-2010, 06:23 PM
Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !
I make 868rwhp on stock TB and plenum. I wonder how much I'd pick up with one!

Old 06-15-2010, 06:50 PM
robertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Powell
I make 868rwhp on stock TB and plenum. I wonder how much I'd pick up with one!
This is my kind of tune. I would not change any piping.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Porsche Throttle body upgrade ?