996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Rear end noise - Kumho tires?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 02:29 PM
rosesplus is infamous around these parts
Rear end noise - Kumho tires?

I have recently fitted 315/30/18 Kumho's (these replaced PS2's in the same size)on the rear and around the time of the fitment I started to notice a sound that could have been a wheel bearing. I constant whirring noise.I left the car with the local stealer, suggesting wheel bearing and they reported that it wasn't but it was due to the incorrect fitment of larger rear tires and the tires were touching the inner rear guard liner. The inner liners did show a slight contact mark so I bought tried 10mm rear spacers, however the noise is still there.
The sound is speed related, increasing with speed whether in gear or not. Is any body else having a lot of road noise with the Kumho's or does anybody else have any thoughts on what it might be? Now I'm not sure if I'm imaging it or if the car always had this amount of road noise...
TIA
Mark

Old 06-15-2010, 02:47 PM
FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by rosesplus
I have recently fitted 315/30/18 Kumho's (these replaced PS2's in the same size)on the rear and around the time of the fitment I started to notice a sound that could have been a wheel bearing. I constant whirring noise.I left the car with the local stealer, suggesting wheel bearing and they reported that it wasn't but it was due to the incorrect fitment of larger rear tires and the tires were touching the inner rear guard liner. The inner liners did show a slight contact mark so I bought tried 10mm rear spacers, however the noise is still there.
The sound is speed related, increasing with speed whether in gear or not. Is any body else having a lot of road noise with the Kumho's or does anybody else have any thoughts on what it might be? Now I'm not sure if I'm imaging it or if the car always had this amount of road noise...
TIA
Mark
I just replaced a set of Kumho's in stock size on the rear with another pair. They were singing a bit, but the noise is gone now that the new tires are in place. Dunno if that helps.

Jon

Old 06-15-2010, 02:48 PM
RSS
RSS is a name known to allRSS is a name known to allRSS is a name known to allRSS is a name known to allRSS is a name known to allRSS is a name known to all
Sorry to hear about that. I had some over sized Kumho's on my BMW and they SCREAMED. Didn't handle bad but the noise was impossible to live with. Got rid of those tires and the problem went away. Good luck.

Old 06-15-2010, 03:38 PM
ColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud ofColoradoSilver has much to be proud of
I've got 315/30/18 Kumho XS in the rear and do not have noise or rubbing issues.

Which model tire do you have?

Old 06-15-2010, 04:19 PM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
If it's not the tires, could be the serpentine belt tensioner starting to go. It happened to me.

Old 06-16-2010, 01:12 PM
rosesplus is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by landjet
If it's not the tires, could be the serpentine belt tensioner starting to go. It happened to me.
Larry, what signs/symptoms did you get with the belt tensioner?

Old 06-17-2010, 05:00 PM
Shark01 is just really niceShark01 is just really niceShark01 is just really niceShark01 is just really nice
Have had several sets of Kumhos....not noisy.

I still think its wheel bearings, they area known weakness....I have replaced mine.

Old 06-17-2010, 06:18 PM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
The sound was an rpm related noise that would be drowned out by the exhaust as you went faster and the exhaust noise overtook it. Typical whining sound that changed pitch with rpm increase. It's located below and a little left of the power steering fluid reservoir. You have to take the airbox out of the way to pinpoint the noise source and to get at the tensioner.