996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

No headlights/AC or fan/windshield wipers problem, help!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 01:10 PM
MikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant future
Broke Ignition Switch : Key sticking + Electrical problems (no ac, headlights ect)

So yesterday, randomly, my 996tt just decided to have some electrical problems:

What doesn't work: no fan and air conditioning, nothing blows; no headlights; no windshield wiper power. That is all I have found that doesn't work.

What does work: Radio, parking/running headlights, all displays (it shows the fan power is full blast, but no air moves), turning signals and rear lights work also.

Really strange. I'm hoping its just a fuse or something. Thoughts?

ETA: Ignition key is also sticking badly and doesn't turn well.

ETA2: Found out the problem and fix options with guides, jump down a few posts .

Last edited by MikeR397; 06-17-2010 at 12:53 AM.
Old 06-16-2010, 01:26 PM
FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !
I think it's more than just a fuse. The headlights are on fuses A9 and A10, the A/C-Heater is on fuse D6, and the windshield wipers are on fuse C6. That's quite a wide variation. You could check them, but if they are blown something made them go.

Sorry I don't have any better ideas.

Jon

Old 06-16-2010, 01:41 PM
MikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant futureMikeR397 has a brilliant future
Called porsche, and they think its the ignition lock housing/ignition control module. This makes sense to me, and I forgot to mention that the key is sticking real bad, not wanting to go in and come out or turn very well. They said this affects the electonics. I'll also add that when this first happened, I had problems putting the key in, and when later that day the problem went away (everything worked) and the key turned fine, then 20 minutes later, it was messed up again.

Cost of fix for ignition lock is roughly $525. I'm HOPING that the aftermarket warranty that came with this car will cover this and I'll only have to pay the $100 deductible.

Last edited by MikeR397; 06-16-2010 at 02:10 PM.
Old 06-16-2010, 02:00 PM
NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !
I think I can help! I had the same symptoms on my old 996.

When you turn the key all the way to the right, it is actually sticking in the start position and not settling back to the "Started" position. Jiggle the key when it is on and see what happens. All mine needed was a drop of wd40 and it never happened again.

Send me a pm with your number if I can help walk you through

Old 06-16-2010, 02:17 PM
Originally Posted by NOLA911
I think I can help! I had the same symptoms on my old 996.

When you turn the key all the way to the right, it is actually sticking in the start position and not settling back to the "Started" position. Jiggle the key when it is on and see what happens. All mine needed was a drop of wd40 and it never happened again.

Send me a pm with your number if I can help walk you through
Awesome! Thanks so much. I will try this tonight and see if it works. You may have just saved me a major headach and hassel!

Old 06-16-2010, 03:40 PM
Yep, that seems to be the problem. I used a very light amount of WD40 on the key and inserted it and did what you suggested and everything is working now again. It seems to be turning a little easier but still gets a little stuck. I'll keep working at it, but this is a huge relief.

THANKS NOLA!

Old 06-17-2010, 12:06 AM
So Nola's tip helped, and got the car to work properly, but the symptom is still there and the key is still turning poorly and not wanting to come out. I've been researching and it seems this is a very common problem with plastic parts inside breaking off the ignition switch, causing the key to get stuck and not making the necessary connections to a/c, headlights, wipers. Bingo, problem diagnosed. Now time to fix it.

If you want to read up on the problem: Another 996 owner with exact same problems (key stuck, no ac/fan and old electrical plastic part has shifted and not making the necessary connections to control a/c, headlights, radio, wipers... ): http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...-not-dead.html and https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...placement.html

Options

1. Replace Ignition Switch: VW/Audi part# 4A0905849 - Costs about $9 and will completely fix the problem, but due to shoddy design, will likely eventually break again. In this pic, you can see the cracked plastic ignition part near on the left and a new one on the right: VW/Audi part# 4A0905849 - Costs about $9 and will completely fix the problem, but due to shoddy design, will likely eventually break. Installation process is supposedly quite easy, and here's pics and a guide: http://www.gagme.com/greg/996/ignition.php#images/ignition01.jpg . The installation process on the switch is quite easy, and heres a guide with pictures: http://www.gagme.com/greg/996/ignition.php#images/ignition01.jpg

2. Buy the new design (implemented in 2004) ignition lock and install it so that this never happens again. Costs about $130 for the part shipped: http://www.suncoastparts.com/product...996gt3key.html, and earlier today Porsche said they charge $525 for part and labor. DIY can take up to 4 hours per a user's report and here is a guide if I want to do it myself: http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?/tutorials/article/30-diy-upgraded-ignition-switchlock-installation-for-996boxster/ and down this page there are pictures which show the process also: http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=16077 . I'd try this myself, but if my warranty with $100 deductible will cover it, and I get a Porsche loaner for the day, I'll go that route and save myself some hassel and $30. I will have to figure this out in the morning.

If my warranty doesn't cover Porsche installing the new lock for a permanant fix, do I want to just replace the ignition switch for $10 and easily, knowing that the problem will likely eventually happen again or maybe not be fixed perhaps, or update to the newer style ignition lock housing that will be more difficult to do myself and cost $130?

One thing is for sure, there certainly is a lot of helpful DIY info available on these 996tt cars . I really like avoiding dealer extortion whenever possible!

Last edited by MikeR397; 06-17-2010 at 12:58 AM.
Old 06-18-2010, 09:52 AM
Looks like I'm just going to buy the ignition switch on Ebay for $17.50 and DIY job with this guide: http://www.gagme.com/greg/996/igniti...ignition01.jpg .

My warranty is a POS apparantly, and won't cover it. They cover ignition control module, but not the lock, so won't pay for the $525 Porsche wants to do the lock. I could buy the lock for $130 shipped online and do that myself also with the guide I posted above, but that looks much more complicated and I see no harm in doing just the switch for $17.50 and seeing if everything is fixed. If it happens again, I'll do the lock install, but I'm douting it will happen again. This current switch lasted nearly 9 years.

Right now, if I'm careful, I can still use the car, just have to adjust the key in its turn a little left to get the electronics to come on and when I take it out to make sure the switch knows the key is out, or the electronics will stay on and my battery will day and I can't lock the car (all b/c the switch, and computer readout says "key still in"). Thankfully I kept my G35 too.

Last edited by MikeR397; 06-18-2010 at 10:38 AM.
Old 06-21-2010, 08:58 PM
The ignition switch came today and I'm going to install it tomorrow. Hopefully all goes well.

Today, I noticed either a new symptom or problem with the car: The PSM activates aggressively around sharp corners and turn ins (low or high speed, with our without throttle application, with our without PSM turned on or off). Reading this thread: https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-behavior.html I'm thinking that when I put my 997tt wheels and new tires on and aligned it, the steering sensor was not reset and could be causing this problem. However, I'm now wondering if the current faulty ignition switch isn't screwing things up here too? Thoughts?

I guess I'll replace the switch and see if the problem still exists before going to Porsche.

Old 06-22-2010, 08:43 AM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
See my post in the "weird handling" thread.

Old 06-23-2010, 08:16 PM
I installed the new switch today (not lock, just ignition switch I bought on Ebay for $17). It fixed the key sticking and all electrical problems . When it releases the key now, I get that assuring "thunk" sound you are supposed to get, and no more "key is still in the ignition" message on the dash. This was more of a pain than I thought, requiring some real dexterity, but only took about 90 minutes. I'm sure Porsche would have jumped right to the "you need a new lock...$525 installed" and never even tried just the switch. If I get another 8 years out of this $17 part, I'll be happy to install another with 90 minutes of my time later on.

I did not get a chance to see if this fixed the messed up PSM issues I'm having with sharp turns and the car applying selected braking to the wheels. I'm doubting this affected anything. I'll keep you updated in the "wierd handling thread" on this issue. https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-behavior.html

Old 06-23-2010, 08:22 PM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
Mike,

This is why I never trust aftermarket warranties and the weasels that sell them!

Old 06-23-2010, 11:35 PM
Originally Posted by Dr_jitsu
Mike,

This is why I never trust aftermarket warranties and the weasels that sell them!
Agreed. I really wish (for now) I would have taken the car for $2k cheaper with no warranty, as I have no redemption rights as the warranty transferee (of course no one told me this, so my plan to redeem if comfortable with the car after a couple months is shot to hell).

Old 09-14-2010, 03:08 PM
Originally Posted by MikeR397
I installed the new switch today (not lock, just ignition switch I bought on Ebay for $17). It fixed the key sticking and all electrical problems . When it releases the key now, I get that assuring "thunk" sound you are supposed to get, and no more "key is still in the ignition" message on the dash. This was more of a pain than I thought, requiring some real dexterity, but only took about 90 minutes. I'm sure Porsche would have jumped right to the "you need a new lock...$525 installed" and never even tried just the switch. If I get another 8 years out of this $17 part, I'll be happy to install another with 90 minutes of my time later on.

I did not get a chance to see if this fixed the messed up PSM issues I'm having with sharp turns and the car applying selected braking to the wheels. I'm doubting this affected anything. I'll keep you updated in the "wierd handling thread" on this issue. https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-behavior.html
To update, my ignition switch repair worked fine for a couple months, but just failed. This time, the ABS light came one, dome lights came one, radio turned off, and display showed "selector not engaged" which put the car into limp mode and would not change out of fourth gear or diplay gears properly. All this for a damn $17 part. This time, I'm just going to permanantly fix the problem and have a new lock and switch put in, the updated 997 model lock/switch I belive. Porsche is doing it right now, will be $575 (part is $213); my warranty will not cover this.

There is a write up somewhere to replace the lock, but its a lot more difficult than just switch and I'm just going to let them do it this time.

Old 09-14-2010, 07:37 PM
drhenrock is a splendid one to beholddrhenrock is a splendid one to beholddrhenrock is a splendid one to beholddrhenrock is a splendid one to beholddrhenrock is a splendid one to beholddrhenrock is a splendid one to beholddrhenrock is a splendid one to beholddrhenrock is a splendid one to behold
I have the same problem w/ ignition sticking and now AC/fan wont turn on, no other electrical issues, knock on wood, got the Audi part from suncoast, is that the part you got that broke?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: No headlights/AC or fan/windshield wipers problem, help!