996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

I don't get it, GT3

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-27-2005, 09:22 PM
Marx is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by ZAMIRZ
It's the purest 911 you can buy from Porsche in North America.
That's right... in NA, but here in Europe you can also get the GT3 RS (which is GT3 x2).

A friend of mine in Hamburg (know as zzboba on Rennteam.com) has one. We are always fighting about which car is the better one. My stock 996 TT with tiptronic or his ultra rough, hard clutched, ultra light CF-bomba! Though looking so much alike, both cars follow a totally different philosophy.

Whether you would like it or not? Can't say..., you really should drive one and then decide whether you want a race-car as a daily driver. I for one stick to my beloved tip-TT.

And if GT2 and Turbo S drivers with manual gear boxes call tip-TT drivers gay, then you can imagine what my GT3 RS buddy calls me.

Old 01-27-2005, 09:22 PM
ben, lj has a spectacular aura aboutben, lj has a spectacular aura about
Originally posted by james
Turbo's can be overrated in many instances, there is nothing like the power of a high revving NA motor (honda's have taught me something) [/QUOTE

and if you drive the TT like the NA and keep revs above 3500, the subtle lag is more than made up for in rediculous power. Keep the revs high in the turns and you are as quick as anything else. Make it to the straight and it is say hello to my dust and stones.[/B]
first, the GT3 has 1k+ in powerband from 3500 on the TT. second, there is no substitute for 500 less lbs. third, tires and brakes will evaporate faster as a result of that. fourth, there is a whole lot more feel in the GT3. fifth, throttle steering seems a whole lot more pure than it is in the AWD TT where the computer is deciding how much power you get in the front. sixth, i've been in a lot of suspension modified TTs and i have yet to experience one as rigid and stiff as a stock GT3.

btw, people talk about moding the turbo. i have a friend with a GT3 who is about to put on 265 fronts/315 rears, and has already dropped 150 lbs off the car with relative minor changes (there is another 100 in unsprung reduction there for the taking if he chooses to go that route). i'd love to see the turbo that can keep up with that on the track.

Last edited by ben, lj; 01-27-2005 at 09:27 PM.
Old 01-27-2005, 10:06 PM
Marc is just really niceMarc is just really niceMarc is just really niceMarc is just really niceMarc is just really nice
Maybe I overstated however the GT3 is a real drivers car bottom line...it is you and the road...

Old 01-27-2005, 10:20 PM
TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !TT Surgeon Is a GOD !
The GT3 is a real race car unleashed on the street, the GT3 RS, oh my god!

Old 01-27-2005, 10:55 PM
Sloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud of
If you got to ask...

Old 01-27-2005, 11:41 PM
Porsche Fiend
Hamann7 is infamous around these partsHamann7 is infamous around these parts
Put your TT on a diet, make the necessary suspension and tire adjustments, add a few horses and there is NOTHING better. The GT-3 is great bang for the buck so it will never be overrated, but so is the C6 zO6. I'll bet it will feel empty to be passed by a 'vette while driving the GT-3. I wouldn't know because I drive a TT. Neither one passes me.
There is something better, it's called a GT2. Been there, done that and I'm speaking from experience.

Or my favorite 911, a GT3-RS. This car runs a 7:40 at the 'Ring with only 380bhp, that should say something.

Neitler one really has to worry about a C6 Z06 around the track. Power is only one component to a truly fast car.

Most people who think a modded 996TT is somehow a superior performing car to a GT3 just don't know what they're missing. An NA car can be driven more aggressively. Turbo cars can be faster around the track, but it takes a different driving style. Sorta like comparing a V-Twin to an Inline-4 motorcycle.

Apples to oranges. Unless you'd like to spend $300 large like someone we all know to bridge the gap.

Even still, he would have gotten better results starting off with a GT2.

Old 01-28-2005, 07:43 AM
HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !HotRodGuy Is a GOD !

Just kidding about the D. Akroyd line. Always wanted to use it and I figured it would stir a hot debate.

Old 01-28-2005, 08:01 AM
Happy Now?
Rave TT is a jewel in the roughRave TT is a jewel in the roughRave TT is a jewel in the rough
Originally posted by Darren
rave is just teasing - at leats I hope he is or he has just revealed he knows nothing about driving Rave your kidding - right ? bud ?
Not kidding, never rode in a GT3 and was just wondering. Now I know.

How does a GT3 compare to a Turbo with PSS9's, does that help the Turbo catch up in the handling arena?

Last edited by Rave TT; 01-28-2005 at 08:04 AM.
Old 01-28-2005, 08:14 AM
Who let the dogs out...
Adrift is infamous around these parts
Turbo's can be overrated in many instances, there is nothing like the power of a high revving NA motor (honda's have taught me something) [/QUOTE

Jane, you ignorant ****

I hear this all the time and it tickles me. . . "The smooth power band of the NA engine." You know, I have driven both including the best NA engine Porsche makes (CGT), and if you drive the TT like the NA and keep revs above 3500, the subtle lag is more than made up for in rediculous power. Keep the revs high in the turns and you are as quick as anything else. Make it to the straight and it is say hello to my dust and stones.

<other stuff snipped>
[/B]
Not even having driven a GT3, I have to say I agree with the preference for NA. The tt, as quick as it does spool up, still feels...disconnected. It does not respond instantaneoulsy (although egas disconnects even the NA engine a bit). When pushing it hard (esp on the track), I never quite feel like I know EXACTLY what the turbo motor will do. It surges, it lags, it just does weird **** a good NA engine doesn't do. It has its own agenda.

Don't get me wrong, it does fly by just about everything, but it doesn't have the same satisfying feeling of...total control over what the car is doing. Complete connection. My Boxster is a much more rewarding track car, IMHO, and it has nowhere NEAR the power of the TT. But a GT3 is a little too raw for me to want. I don't have the desire (or the wallet) for a car that is only really comfortable on a track.

Obviously this is all personal preference, but I thought I would kick in my 2 cents.

Old 01-28-2005, 08:53 AM
Sloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud of
Originally posted by Rave TT
Not kidding, never rode in a GT3 and was just wondering. Now I know.

How does a GT3 compare to a Turbo with PSS9's, does that help the Turbo catch up in the handling arena?
PSS9's are a nice improvement for a turbo, but regardless of what you do suspension wise it will still be heavier and have the AWD.

Old 01-28-2005, 09:14 AM
Happy Now?
Rave TT is a jewel in the roughRave TT is a jewel in the roughRave TT is a jewel in the rough
Originally posted by Sloth
PSS9's are a nice improvement for a turbo, but regardless of what you do suspension wise it will still be heavier and have the AWD.
Shows how much I know, I thought the awd is an advantage.

Old 01-28-2005, 09:31 AM
rockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond repute
Originally posted by Rave TT
Shows how much I know, I thought the awd is an advantage.
It can be...especially when there is driver error or the road conditions are slick. In general, for racing, RWD is the way to go. The only major exceptions are the World Rally champ cars for obvious reasons and the P1 class in ALMS race cars where the Audi prototype car is awd and does dominate that class in the series...

Old 01-28-2005, 09:32 AM
Red Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to allRed Devil is a name known to all
It depends on what you want. For some, AWD and PSM, etc. are an advantage.

Old 01-28-2005, 09:57 AM
collin996tt is infamous around these parts
These comparisons are all silly. It's like arguing which kitchen knife is the BEST, assuming there's only one purpose with knives. Hmm, let's see. Is it the all-around 8" chef's knife, the 3.5" paring knife, or the 8" carving knife?

The AWD TT is equivalent to the 8" chef's knife, the workhorse of the kitchen. A chef's knife has a wide blade designed for slicing, chopping, and mincing that's rounded so that you can use a rocking motion for chopping. The tip of the blade is thin and flexible enough to work around bones; the hefty rear of the blade (the heel) can chop through a chicken's back. Even the flat of the blade is useful -- for crushing garlic or pounding cutlets.

The other two are more special purpose knives. You can force it to do other things, but it won't be as comfortable. It's all about using the right tool for the job. The TT, like the chef's knife, is a GREAT general purpose tool. It is one that I'll pick up first without thinking.

Old 01-28-2005, 10:37 AM
Sherpa is infamous around these parts
The GT3 is a remarkable car. I dislike all new cars becuase they're loaded with useless stuff such as stability control and navigation systems. So often today, I feel like I have very little control over the cars that I drive. All of my cars have no traction control, and 1 doesn't have ABS either.

A turbo would be nice if I liked driving a sports car every day with Minnesota drivers (it's one of the worst places to drive if you haven't experienced it yet). I have never felt more connected to the road before driving the GT3. I hope Porsche keeps up the GT3's trend of simplicity.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: I don't get it, GT3