996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

I don't get it, GT3

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-28-2005, 10:38 AM
You're SO MONEY, baby!
Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !
Originally posted by collin996tt
These comparisons are all silly. It's like arguing which kitchen knife is the BEST, assuming there's only one purpose with knives. Hmm, let's see. Is it the all-around 8" chef's knife, the 3.5" paring knife, or the 8" carving knife?

The AWD TT is equivalent to the 8" chef's knife, the workhorse of the kitchen. A chef's knife has a wide blade designed for slicing, chopping, and mincing that's rounded so that you can use a rocking motion for chopping. The tip of the blade is thin and flexible enough to work around bones; the hefty rear of the blade (the heel) can chop through a chicken's back. Even the flat of the blade is useful -- for crushing garlic or pounding cutlets.

The other two are more special purpose knives. You can force it to do other things, but it won't be as comfortable. It's all about using the right tool for the job. The TT, like the chef's knife, is a GREAT general purpose tool. It is one that I'll pick up first without thinking.
But, but I don't use a knife, I cut with a fork...because I eat...
http://bau2.uibk.ac.at/sg/python/Sounds/spam_song.au

Hey...are you really Ron Popeil?

Old 01-28-2005, 11:11 AM
collin996tt is infamous around these parts
Originally posted by Sherpa
I hope Porsche keeps up the GT3's trend of simplicity.
Yes, Porsche, just like Wusthof, will always be selling a paring knife, light and agile

Old 01-28-2005, 11:22 AM
You're SO MONEY, baby!
Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !Super D Is a GOD !
Yes, Porsche, just like Wusthof, will always be selling a paring knife, light and agile
Okay seriously, are you a CIA grad, are you VP of Williams Sonoma? I don't know many people who have so much knife knowledge...

Old 01-28-2005, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by Super D
Okay seriously, are you a CIA grad, are you VP of Williams Sonoma? I don't know many people who have so much knife knowledge...
You're partially right in one of those regards

Old 01-28-2005, 11:40 AM
You're SO MONEY, baby!
You're partially right in one of those regards
Great, where can we go to sample your cuisine?

Old 01-28-2005, 11:42 AM
Holger B is infamous around these parts
You need to drive a GT3. I read a lot about them before I got mine, but the driving experience is even better than any of us can convey...it's that good. A local dealer let me test drive one before I bought mine and even after only a few miles I was in awe. Now that I've had one for a few months, I still feel the same way.

As for the harshness, I think that's overblown. I drive mine everywhere (including long trips) and it's never been an issue. If you're used to driving an SUV, it'll be too harsh for you. If you like sports cars, you won't have a problem with it.

Old 01-28-2005, 02:21 PM
teflon has a brilliant futureteflon has a brilliant futureteflon has a brilliant futureteflon has a brilliant futureteflon has a brilliant futureteflon has a brilliant futureteflon has a brilliant futureteflon has a brilliant futureteflon has a brilliant futureteflon has a brilliant futureteflon has a brilliant future
Originally posted by rockitman
It can be...especially when there is driver error or the road conditions are slick. In general, for racing, RWD is the way to go. The only major exceptions are the World Rally champ cars for obvious reasons and the P1 class in ALMS race cars where the Audi prototype car is awd and does dominate that class in the series...
Rockitman,

The Audi R8 is not awd. It is RWD.

I don't want to get involved in the debate about which is better, but, one of the primary reasons you don't see more awd race cars is a result of the rules, not the inherent advantages/disadvantages of the design.

Greg A

Old 01-28-2005, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by teflon
but, one of the primary reasons you don't see more awd race cars is a result of the rules, not the inherent advantages/disadvantages of the design.

Greg A
that is correct. the audi awd dominated the racing scene in the 80's and that was on paved tracks. it was deemed as too boring to watch as audi won race after race. awd was a definite advantage. that's why they tightened the rules to ban awd.

Old 01-28-2005, 03:05 PM
Zippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond reputeZippy has a reputation beyond repute
As great of a track car as I'm sure the GT3 is, 280 foot pound of torque (@35,000) has to be difficult to appreciate. I get to the track / autocross events way less that I'd like to and personally giggle out loud every time I feel the 600+ TQ hitting me in the back before I get through an intersection from a stop.

I believe in the GT3 - great when driven the way it was meant to be driven - hard and @ high RPM's. Unfortunately most of my driving is in short bursts to and from work

Mike

Old 01-28-2005, 03:20 PM
Former Vendor
Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !
Originally posted by rockitman
and the P1 class in ALMS race cars where the Audi prototype car is awd and does dominate that class in the series...

Chris-

Just an FYI. The R8 is RWD. All P1 and P2 cars must be RWD.

http://www.mulsannescorner.com/audir8-01.html