996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Help with GT2 Clutch master/slave upgrade

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 07:25 AM
tvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud of
Help with GT2 Clutch master/slave upgrade

So I have a DE this weekend, and I think my clutch accumulator died on the way to work today. I had to double clutch every downshift, 4-3-2-1. First and second are the worst. Pushing up petrosin in the front as well. I tried fast pumping the clutch, but it does not seem to help for more then a few minutes.

So i have all of the parts cept for two for the GT2 upgrade, I was going to have a local shop do this in a few weeks, just to improve the feel.

So now I am thinking I dig in and do this tonight / Friday before the DE on Saturday. I don't have a lift but I do know my way around a wrench.

1) I am going to try bleeding my clutch first, anyone think this will help?

2) How long should this take on 4 jack stands?

3) I need two parts, see pic attached. Anyone know what sizes these are, or where I can get them? I can fab a smooth plug by grinding the threads off of a bolt if i have to, but the threaded cap is what worries me. If I can't find one of these locally or by next day air I am SOL for this DE.

Thanks,

Tom

Attached Images  
Old 06-17-2010, 09:10 AM
jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !
1. Hey Tom. Your slave is dead. When you have intermix from the pressurized boost section of the slave bypassing and overfilling the front reservoir, the slave is toast. Sorry.

2. Not an \"easy" job, not a hard job. Sorry if that sounds wishy washy, but the area for the slave is tight. The removal of the PS boost drive, the under dash master and helper spring... bleeding. Youve got a day ahead of you on jackstands or a lift.
Start by taking your motive bleeder and using air only, push all the pentosin from the front reservoir out the slave bleeder. It'll make all the other disasembly a lot drier and will make pentosin contamination of the DOT4 much less likely.

3. The plugs. Once the boost drive is disabled, the pressure is nil, but these plugs I think are a weak point for future leakage. In a perfect world, I'd use the Tiptronic PS tank. That pressure cap is a biotch to get my fat fingers on. Good oldtime autoparts store should have a everco fitting for you...

Good luck

Old 06-17-2010, 09:16 AM
tvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud of
Thanks! Are the everco fittings that you are referring to for the picture I posted?

I think I need an M12 Cap for this but I can't verify or get the pitch.

Tom

Old 06-17-2010, 09:21 AM
jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !
Everco is a brass fitting company a lot of autoparts store use.
I'll see if I can measure it and post back....

Old 06-17-2010, 09:57 AM
EVOMS is sending me the plugs next day air!!!
Now all I have to do is get this install done!

Thanks for the help Mr.JJBravo!

Tom

Old 06-17-2010, 10:14 AM
Originally Posted by tvurt
EVOMS is sending me the plugs next day air!!!
Now all I have to do is get this install done!

Thanks for the help Mr.JJBravo!

Tom
Awesome. Good company.
Have at it man! You'll get it, but your hands will hurt when it's all done...

Old 06-17-2010, 07:23 PM
Mad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant future
Assume you already have the evoms manual. take note to flush the pentosin side system, think my indy only drained and the residual ate away at the clutch master. It died and went to the floor after couple months.

I haven't done a clutch bleed on this car but believe you need 2 people one pumping in the car, and other downside letting air out.

DIY is great and fun but not when there's a rush and a deadline. Not sure what DE stands for but if it's some kind of track event, it's not the greatest time to "test" your work. Just a suggestion, but see if the indy has time to fit you in first.

good luck!

This is a great mod, you'll love it.

Old 06-18-2010, 07:44 AM
Thanks! DE = drivers education, this weekend is PCA. All I got done last night was to get the car up on four jackstands. So I am going to ditch work this afternoon and try and bust out the project.

Tom

Old 06-18-2010, 08:46 AM
Mad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant future
Good luck!

Old 06-19-2010, 10:15 AM
So this was an epic fail. I got stuck late at work, and without a lift this is a tough job. Car is going to my local shop next week to complete.