996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Help My 2002 996 turbo doesnt want to start

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 06:31 PM
mike123 is infamous around these parts
If I get the Durametric software will it tell me whats wrong with the car? Since I have disconnected the battery and cleared the codes?

Last edited by mike123; 06-20-2010 at 06:45 PM.
Old 06-20-2010, 06:33 PM
IAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond repute
Edit: WTH i somehow missed all the previous posts, lol.

Last edited by IAPorscheDoc; 06-20-2010 at 06:40 PM.
Old 06-20-2010, 07:17 PM
jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by mike123
If I get the Durametric software will it tell me whats wrong with the car? Since I have disconnected the battery and cleared the codes?
Disconnecting the battery does not clear all the codes in fact I don't think too many. Some faults are latch in the ecu and can only be erase using PIWIS, PST2 or Durametric. And there is a limit to what information you can get from an OBD II code reader. It is a tool and it can guide you towards a fault but sometimes it can mislead you... Example: a broken wire or a broken pin on a sensor, the code reader will tell you the sensor is at fault....

Old 06-20-2010, 08:37 PM
I used an OBD II that I purchased from autozone It didnt show any codes. Is the Durametric different.

Old 06-21-2010, 03:32 AM
jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by mike123
I used an OBD II that I purchased from autozone It didnt show any codes. Is the Durametric different.
I cannot say. I never compare different readers....
http://www.durametric.com/

Last edited by jpflip; 06-21-2010 at 03:34 AM.
Old 06-22-2010, 09:41 AM
Troy Jollimore is infamous around these parts
Wink

Just a shot in the dark, but I couldn't see a 'bad coolant sensor' shutting down the fuel supply but leaving all other ignition functions active. Especially is the code was 'cleared' and doesn't show up again right away. A normal OBDII tester should have showed any active codes. I'd also be careful with that starter fluid. Nasty stuff if too much of it ignites at once. Can easily cause cylinder/piston damage.

I'd trace and test the fuel system first and see where that takes you, although you've already eliminated the pump itself.

Old 06-23-2010, 10:31 AM
Does anybody know where the DME RELAY GOES? The dealer said its in the second relay box in the rear of the car but they wouldnt tell me where the second relay box was. Do the 996's have a a relay box in the rear of the car?

Old 06-23-2010, 11:39 AM
Former Vendor
Chris Green@USP has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green@USP has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green@USP has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green@USP has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green@USP has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green@USP has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green@USP has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green@USP has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green@USP has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green@USP has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green@USP has a reputation beyond repute
Where the DME is on the other side. Bolted to the metal plate. couple relays over there.

Old 06-23-2010, 01:06 PM
Mike look at my post here you will see some pictures of the relay carrier #2 https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...use-panel.html

Old 06-23-2010, 03:54 PM
Thanks guys I found the DME it's under the back speaker box. HERES THE LINK FOR DME REMOVAL BELOW if you ever need it. Im starting to give up now I have gas coming to the fuel filter but still no start. lol

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...-upgrades.html

Old 06-23-2010, 07:30 PM
You'll probably kick yourself when they find out what it is... Or you could just sell me your car for $15k or so... Seeing as it's not running! *Laugh*

Old 06-24-2010, 11:35 AM
lol. Thats a nice down payment.

Old 06-24-2010, 01:42 PM
Frank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond repute
Hi mate, sorry to hear you are still having problems.

You said you tried easy start ( the ether based stuff) Have you checked for HT to the plugs. That easy start doesn't need a spark it will kick an engine over without one( depending on compression ratio).
There must be some one out there that can tell us all how to check for 996tt specific HT output. Its not as simple as a standard car I know that much..
If its splutters there must be a spark there!
Does the car try to splutter when cranking over normally ( NO easy start).
My 996tt has an anti theft device via the OBD 2 port that removes the signal to the TB. It splutters but will not start. Its just another avenues. Have you been working in that area or near the TB. Wires/Plugs etc.
Frank

Old 06-24-2010, 06:00 PM
The fuel pump only recieves power to it when I try to start it. Does anybody know if power should come to the fuel pump when the key is in the position right before a complete turn of the key to full start?

Old 06-25-2010, 12:29 PM
Usually they do to pre-pressurize the system. I can't speak exclusively to the Porsche, though. It's too bad you couldn't put a little gas in each cylinder to see if it fires up (since the starter fluid was called into question). It's much easier to do on a normal motor. As for the purchase offer, I have to try! *Laugh*

Although I have run into people in the past that benefited from someone's anger at their non-running car translating into a very good buy and cheap/quick fix for them...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Help My 2002 996 turbo doesnt want to start