996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Help My 2002 996 turbo doesnt want to start

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 04:55 PM
mike123 is infamous around these parts
Help My 2002 996 turbo doesnt want to start

I was driving my 2002 996 tt last week and the (FAILURE INDICATOR LIGHT) came on, which said that the temperature gauge was faulty. Then the car shut off and I couldn't get it to start. No fuel is going to the injectors. I checked the fuel pump its ok and the fuel pump relay was also ok. Do these cars have a fuel shut off switch? Please somebody help.

Last edited by mike123; 06-19-2010 at 06:26 PM.
Old 06-19-2010, 05:15 PM
robertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud of
Un hook battery for a few hours and then the codes will reset. Should be fine unless you needto have the car looked at.

Old 06-19-2010, 06:24 PM
Thanks I unhooked the battery for an hour and the codes reset. But the same results. Does any body know if these cars have an fuel shut off switch?

Old 06-19-2010, 06:39 PM
indyvegman is just really niceindyvegman is just really niceindyvegman is just really niceindyvegman is just really niceindyvegman is just really nice
Probably shutting off for a GOOD reason, I'd take it to the shop.

Old 06-19-2010, 07:06 PM
robertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud of
Get two 5 gallon cans of gas and see if you can fill her up. May have a issue with the fuel gauge reporting more than available.

Old 06-19-2010, 07:25 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Often its not the pump but the fuel pick up lines...

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 06-19-2010, 08:30 PM
Originally Posted by MARKSKI@911tuning
Often its not the pump but the fuel pick up lines...
Yes, that may be it

Old 06-19-2010, 09:28 PM
Should I fill it completely to the top? Earlier today I tested the fuel pump and it shot out gas when I added power to it with a jump box.

Last edited by mike123; 06-19-2010 at 09:32 PM.
Old 06-20-2010, 12:32 AM
Former Vendor
Chris Green@USP has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green@USP has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green@USP has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green@USP has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green@USP has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green@USP has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green@USP has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green@USP has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green@USP has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green@USP has a reputation beyond reputeChris Green@USP has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by mike123
I was driving my 2002 996 tt last week and the (FAILURE INDICATOR LIGHT) came on, which said that the temperature gauge was faulty. Then the car shut off and I couldn't get it to start. No fuel is going to the injectors. I checked the fuel pump its ok and the fuel pump relay was also ok. Do these cars have a fuel shut off switch? Please somebody help.
When you say (FAILURE INDICATOR LIGHT) Do you mean CEL? What you are describing sounds like a lost communication with the ECU. I was just going to say pull the feed line off and throw power to the pump but I see you already tried that. keep us updated with what you find.

Chris Green

Old 06-20-2010, 01:46 AM
Originally Posted by mike123
Should I fill it completely to the top? Earlier today I tested the fuel pump and it shot out gas when I added power to it with a jump box.
What code are you seeing?

Old 06-20-2010, 06:48 AM
I have no codes I disconnected the battery, when I was on the side of the road thinking that the computer would reset. I got this from the owners manual pg 86. (Failure indicator light for the coolant gauge not working). This sucks I just put a clutch in the car myself the other day because the dealer wanted to charge me $5,000.00, so I did it at my friends garage. Drove it home and the car was fine, next day going to work she died. sucks

Old 06-20-2010, 06:54 AM
Are you leaking any fluids from the front of the car?

Old 06-20-2010, 07:37 AM
No fluids leaking at all. It starts when I add starter fluid to the intake, then it shuts off.

Last edited by mike123; 06-20-2010 at 07:54 AM.
Old 06-20-2010, 08:07 AM
jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !
It can be a broken fuel suction line (Markski) or fuel pump. Look at this link: https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ost-leaks.html especially "Porsche Tech" solution....

Old 06-20-2010, 12:03 PM
steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !
the older turbos (86) had a shut off mode on roll over this happened to me in carmel many years ago i was at the race track and a friend fix it for but it's been so many years ago i have forgotten what the fix was....good luck see if you have a shut off mode that may be the prob

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Help My 2002 996 turbo doesnt want to start