996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

New Alpha 28s vs old GT28s

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 01:16 PM
earlierapex has much to be proud ofearlierapex has much to be proud ofearlierapex has much to be proud ofearlierapex has much to be proud ofearlierapex has much to be proud ofearlierapex has much to be proud ofearlierapex has much to be proud ofearlierapex has much to be proud of
New Alpha 28s vs old GT28s

Anyone have direct experience with these two turbos (especially on an EVOMS GT700 kit?)?

What's the boost or torque difference at say 3000rpms and 4000rpms? Thanks.

Old 06-21-2010, 04:27 PM
MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !MBailey Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by earlierapex
Anyone have direct experience with these two turbos (especially on an EVOMS GT700 kit?)?

What's the boost or torque difference at say 3000rpms and 4000rpms? Thanks.
Don't know anyone who has had both the old gt-28 hybrids and new tial alphas but there may be someone. I have the newer turbos on an EVOMS kit. The main difference between the old and new turbos is that the new turbos don't die off as much up top ie they pull hard up to the redline. Both turbos require significant supporting mods to be competative with other larger setups.

As far as your boost question, I would expect both turbos to have similar boost at 3 & 4 K. My understanding is spool is similar between the two setups.

Another difference is that the original hybrids were journal bearing and most A28s are ball bearing turbos.

Last edited by MBailey; 06-21-2010 at 04:41 PM.
Old 06-21-2010, 09:01 PM
RiA
RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !RiA Is a GOD !
I have the older GT28s and have no experience with the A28s - just hoped to run Flash68 for comparison before he went nuts with his additional mods.

I feel like I'm driving a V8 with the low end torque with these snails.

I don't do the high-speed highway pulls, only quick bursts at lower rpm and some track - these are just perfect for my needs.

Old 06-21-2010, 09:17 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
There are three types of the "normal" GT28 turbos (one of which is current and uses ball bearing and water cooling) and one type of alpha 28.

I have the latest 2860RS. They spool like K16s and outperform K24s by a considerable margin. They will easily induce tire spin in 2nd gear without popping the clutch. Just start at 2,000 RPM and the tires will lose traction once the boost builds (around 3,000 RPM). I tested it and it will build full boost of 1.2 BAR by 3,000 rpm in the higher gears.

The Alpha 28 is a much bigger turbo with many of the above characteristics. I drove Yellow Turbo's A28 car at similar boost levels and felt it was comparable. The Alpha will outperform at freeway speeds.

One thing not often discussed is that 1.2 BAR is about the limit of pump gas. maybe 1.3 if you have access to 93 octane.

Old 06-21-2010, 10:59 PM
LamboTT has a spectacular aura aboutLamboTT has a spectacular aura about
I have like the 2nd of 3 revisions of the EVO KIT. Its the complete center section and front housing of the newest Alpha turbo with just the older turbine housing that is bored out. I have ball bearing turbos with water cooled center section. It will spool at .2 BAR if I'm cruising at 90mph on the highway on cruise control. It does not die up top at all now that EPL has edited the boost maps several times.

The main reason I heard Tial came out with a complete turbine housing is to save on the hassle and time of maching out the stock k16 or k24 turbine housing. At the same time I'm sure it is probably ideal out of the box for flow compared to a Porsche casting that is ported. I love the things they rock out very well.

Old 06-21-2010, 11:47 PM
Saint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud of
Off hand ... what would the supporting mods for the GT28's?

Old 06-22-2010, 12:51 AM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Saint Ari
Off hand ... what would the supporting mods for the GT28's?
injectors, exhaust, dvs, filter and a tune...
then ICs, plenum....

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 06-22-2010, 09:24 AM
Former Vendor
Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !Neil Switzer Is a GOD !
+1 to the alpha's, these are wicked turbos and are featured on our P800 package.

Old 06-25-2010, 01:20 AM
Saint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by MARKSKI@911tuning
injectors, exhaust, dvs, filter and a tune...
then ICs, plenum....
all bolt ons... no engine work?

Old 06-25-2010, 01:38 AM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
I have an all bolt on kit. Dyno and mods all listed in my Sig (91 octane).

Note that a 5 bar FPR will likely fit all your fueling needs for pump gas. That said, Injectors are the "proper" way to do this and is probably worth the ~$700 difference in parts and labor cost.

Originally Posted by Saint Ari
all bolt ons... no engine work?

Old 06-25-2010, 02:25 PM
earlierapex has much to be proud ofearlierapex has much to be proud ofearlierapex has much to be proud ofearlierapex has much to be proud ofearlierapex has much to be proud ofearlierapex has much to be proud ofearlierapex has much to be proud ofearlierapex has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Soundeffects
I have like the 2nd of 3 revisions of the EVO KIT. Its the complete center section and front housing of the newest Alpha turbo with just the older turbine housing that is bored out. I have ball bearing turbos with water cooled center section. It will spool at .2 BAR if I'm cruising at 90mph on the highway on cruise control. It does not die up top at all now that EPL has edited the boost maps several times.

The main reason I heard Tial came out with a complete turbine housing is to save on the hassle and time of maching out the stock k16 or k24 turbine housing. At the same time I'm sure it is probably ideal out of the box for flow compared to a Porsche casting that is ported. I love the things they rock out very well.
do you know if I can get the old GT28s rebuilt with ball bearings? I have one turbo with bad bearings, trying to decide whether to rebuild both or upgrade to alphas.

Old 06-25-2010, 02:30 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by earlierapex
do you know if I can get the old GT28s rebuilt with ball bearings? I have one turbo with bad bearings, trying to decide whether to rebuild both or upgrade to alphas.
Upgrade. TOTALLY different turbos. Much more potential.

Old 06-25-2010, 02:31 PM
2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Neil Switzer
+1 to the alpha's, these are wicked turbos and are featured on our P800 package.
your running modified alpha 30's ?

Old 06-25-2010, 06:51 PM
D_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant future
Any idea when these upgrades were made? I bought my car with the GT610 kit on it and I am not even certain what turbo's I have.

Old 06-25-2010, 08:16 PM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
If you have a purely track car, the old hybrids are not a bad choice, instant spool.

They die out up top but by then you are in the turn, even on big tracks like TWS.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New Alpha 28s vs old GT28s