996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Engine coming out - what should I get done while it's out?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 12:05 PM
Hedonistic is infamous around these parts
Engine coming out - what should I get done while it's out?

Due to a reason I'll mention in another thread, my engine will need to come out. While it's out, what else should I get done on it while everything is easily accessible? It's a 2002 996TT with 58K miles

I'm thinking:

Water pump and thermostat
fuel filter
coolant tank
Clutch accumulator and slave
serpentine belt rollers and tensioner
alternator rebuild
any hoses? ALL hoses?
weld the glued-on coolant hoses

Anything else that is a "wear and tear" item on our cars that I should get done?

ps: I already did the plugs and coils, diverter valves and minor things such as the serpentine belt and oil and filter

Old 06-22-2010, 12:24 PM
raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !raineycd Is a GOD !
How's your clutch looking? Great time for that!

Old 06-22-2010, 01:49 PM
DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !DEEPBLUE Is a GOD !
speaking of...good time for the GT2 conversion and get rid of some of that pentosin.

Originally Posted by raineycd
How's your clutch looking? Great time for that!

Old 06-22-2010, 02:44 PM
jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !
Old 06-22-2010, 02:58 PM
Originally Posted by D33PBLU3
speaking of...good time for the GT2 conversion and get rid of some of that pentosin.
Do you mean a GT2 clutch conversion? Is that a heavier duty replacement? Mine's a daily driver and I don't track it. Should I just go for the OEM clutch?

Old 06-22-2010, 03:00 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Not sure how far you are willing to go, but rods and head studs will give you nearly a lifetime of reliability at most normal power levels, whatever those might be.

Last edited by ttboost; 06-22-2010 at 03:04 PM.
Old 06-22-2010, 03:01 PM
Yes great threads. I remember running across them now.

Old 06-22-2010, 03:50 PM
Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !Dr_jitsu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ttboost
Not sure how far you are willing to go, but rods and head studs will give you nearly a lifetime of reliability at most normal power levels, whatever those might be.

I would go with a GT3 cams and some headwork...you know, as long as you have her out

Old 06-22-2010, 05:07 PM
You rascals! Rods? Cams? Talk like that will start me down a slippery slope! :-)

I was more interested in preventative maintenance kind of stuff. The kind of stuff that will have me smacking my forehead if I find out later that it would have been dead easy if the engine was out.

Since I know I'm on an slippery slope: do engine mounts wear out? I've been reading with some interest about the Wevo mounts.

Also, there was a thread about transmission mounts needing doing. Is doing that more convenient if the engine is out?

Last edited by Hedonistic; 06-22-2010 at 05:08 PM. Reason: Smiley added. :-)
Old 06-22-2010, 05:34 PM
dgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond reputedgreen78 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Hedonistic
Since I know I'm on an slippery slope: do engine mounts wear out? I've been reading with some interest about the Wevo mounts.

Also, there was a thread about transmission mounts needing doing. Is doing that more convenient if the engine is out?
I would do the 997 updated tranny mount and GT3RS motor mounts if you dont mind a little extra vibration and you do any sort of track events.

Old 06-22-2010, 05:55 PM
jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !
Very good suggestion for the tranny mount and more info here: http://www.renntrack.com/forums/show...mount-upgrades

Old 06-22-2010, 05:58 PM
AlanS is infamous around these parts
Thumbs up I would consider the IMS Bearing Upgrade

Check out http://www.lnengineering.com/ims.html I think the current month's Excellence has an article by Tony Callas describing the procedure. I had Tony upgrade the bearing when I had my clutch replaced.

Old 06-22-2010, 06:10 PM
Originally Posted by AlanS
Check out http://www.lnengineering.com/ims.html I think the current month's Excellence has an article by Tony Callas describing the procedure. I had Tony upgrade the bearing when I had my clutch replaced.

I think that doesn't applied to the 996 turbo being a completely different construction. See pics.... TT on the left and 996 on the right...

Attached Images   

Last edited by jpflip; 06-22-2010 at 06:20 PM.
Old 06-22-2010, 06:23 PM
AlanS is infamous around these parts
It can still happen

Check out this link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQ8mNVI9_G8 996 Turbo engine with x50 package. Agreed the IMS failure is less frequent in turbo cars, but cheap insurance if the engine is out.

Old 06-22-2010, 06:33 PM
Originally Posted by AlanS
Check out this link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQ8mNVI9_G8 996 Turbo engine with x50 package. Agreed the IMS failure is less frequent in turbo cars, but cheap insurance if the engine is out.

This is something completely different and it is a major failure and this require engine opening. It is not a preventive maintenance action... Sometimes due to bushings #15 or 16 and sometimes due to a slack chain, worn chain guide, damaged chain tensioner....

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Engine coming out - what should I get done while it's out?