996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Over 600whp MAF solutions?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 06:07 AM
needforspeed502 is a splendid one to beholdneedforspeed502 is a splendid one to beholdneedforspeed502 is a splendid one to beholdneedforspeed502 is a splendid one to beholdneedforspeed502 is a splendid one to beholdneedforspeed502 is a splendid one to beholdneedforspeed502 is a splendid one to beholdneedforspeed502 is a splendid one to behold
Over 600whp MAF solutions?

I keep seeing different opinions on this. What are all of the big guys with 700+whp running for a maf? I know of one, Powell who is mafless, but what about everyone else? Are they all blow through ford mafs? But then again I see many people against those too. Is there another solution?

Old 06-25-2010, 07:37 AM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by needforspeed502
I keep seeing different opinions on this. What are all of the big guys with 700+whp running for a maf? I know of one, Powell who is mafless, but what about everyone else? Are they all blow through ford mafs? But then again I see many people against those too. Is there another solution?

Yes the built cars are starting run without a maf... Evoms and Protomotive are both doing it.... there are a couple of unique set ups.. Powell's is one of them...
Mine is currently without a maf as well...
As far as your hearsay of the Ford maf goes, I think I proved the myth to be wrong last week. Including is a link to my testing with videos as proof... mind you, the fastest 60 to 130 on this board as well as one of two 9 sec. runs ever recorded was done on a Ford maf set in question... not to mention one car put down 1100rwhp...
I'm not saying its the only way but it works well...
link to the videos of the for maf set up:
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ml#post2871801

markski

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 06-25-2010, 07:40 AM
needforspeed502 is a splendid one to beholdneedforspeed502 is a splendid one to beholdneedforspeed502 is a splendid one to beholdneedforspeed502 is a splendid one to beholdneedforspeed502 is a splendid one to beholdneedforspeed502 is a splendid one to beholdneedforspeed502 is a splendid one to beholdneedforspeed502 is a splendid one to behold
Yah I saw that thread, very nice I thought. The Ford maf makes sense to me. How are Proto and Evoms doing it mafless? Just in the tuning? But is this on a stock computer?

Old 06-25-2010, 07:48 AM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by needforspeed502
Yah I saw that thread, very nice I thought. The Ford maf makes sense to me. How are Proto and Evoms doing it mafless? Just in the tuning? But is this on a stock computer?
I can only attest to what I know... I deal with Proto and we use the stock ECU... I do not know what others are doing...

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Old 06-25-2010, 07:50 AM
Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !
EVOMS uses a stock ECU also from what I've been told.

As of right now Justin's old car and mine are the only successful (running with NO CEL's, ABS/PSM, etc.) standalones on the 996TT. Though like Mark said it is a unique setup that does cost a GOOD amount of money. Considering the parts you have to buy and the tuning cost. Plus honestly the only reason why I have it so early (mid to high 800s) is because when I do build the motor I don't want to have the cost of the standalone with it.

Old 06-25-2010, 08:02 AM
Hey Powell, yah I actually know Justin pretty good, he knows a lot of the guys at Hennessey so I met him when I used to work there. Seems like your solution is awesome, but after talking to him much more than I would need. I just don't see how these guys can get an ECU to run without a maf that was designed to use one. It's pretty cool. Does anyone know how they drive? I live in Romania now for my job but when I get back to Texas Powell I need a ride in your car, it's crazy! I will probably be using the Boost Logic guys as well when I get mine.

Old 06-25-2010, 08:06 AM
Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !
My setup originally ran without a MAF on an EPL tune. It was never fine tuned to knock out the CEL's, etc. because I am nowhere near CT and the prices to ship back and fourth a bunch of times (once for stock motor, then once for built motor) got close to the price of the standalone. The car drove AWESOME with the EPL tune, but like I said the standalone was the next step in a big process so that's why I ended up with it. One thing I'd like to add about the stock ECU without a MAF is that it is not a true speed density tune it actually uses load based calculations.

Let me know when you are in Houston I'll make sure I put the straight pipes on and some MS109 in so it's not a boring ride

Old 06-25-2010, 08:12 AM
Ahh ic. So besides the CEL's, was the drivability like stock?

I should be back sometime October-November, I will be sure to let you know, that would be awesome.

Old 06-30-2010, 11:01 PM
supergoji is infamous around these parts
could you use a 300zx Twin turbo Maf? those can read alot of flow.