996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Transmission Help - first gear

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 08:11 AM
tvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud of
Transmission Help - first gear

So, it looks like I have more of a problem with my transmission then just a failed slave.

Last week I had the GT2 conversion done, and it is great. However it has not solved my problem with engaging first gear and sometimes second gear. Every other time I try to get into first, I feel a "rubbery" resistance and I cannot get into gear unless I do a few rapid clutch engage / release cycles. Gears 3-6 are fine. Nothing feels grind-y, or makes any noise. I have about 4k miles on a "stage 4" clutch.

Looking in the archives this sounds like a failed throw-out bearing perhaps.

I don't want to throw any money at this till I find out what 6speed thinks!

Tom

Old 06-30-2010, 11:28 AM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
How about checking the shift cables and linkages . Have you changed the shifter recently?

Old 06-30-2010, 11:55 AM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Sounds like it could be synchros too? Have you ever (or do you now) have a 2nd gear pop out issue? If not, as Larry says, it's likely a shifter issue or cable adjustment.

Old 06-30-2010, 12:35 PM
tvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud of
Transmission was replaced for 2nd gear pop out about 20k miles ago.

The PO put a OEM 996 SSK in, and I have no idea if it was adjusted properly.

I put a 997 shifter in about 1,000 miles ago, using the included tool, and marking the length of the rod to the threads.

I would LOVE it if this was a cable issue, as that I can fix.

Actually, how do you align the cables if you have no idea where to locate the throw?

Tom

Old 06-30-2010, 12:41 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by tvurt
Transmission was replaced for 2nd gear pop out about 20k miles ago.

The PO put a OEM 996 SSK in, and I have no idea if it was adjusted properly.

I put a 997 shifter in about 1,000 miles ago, using the included tool, and marking the length of the rod to the threads.

I would LOVE it if this was a cable issue, as that I can fix.

Actually, how do you align the cables if you have no idea where to locate the throw?

Tom
When I did my 997 shifter, I used the green plastic alignment tool that came with it, and made sure the cables had slack and just pushed them straight down onto the connectors. Mine has been fine. Maybe put the alignment tool back on to make sure the shifter is perfectly vertical and recheck the cables? Make sure there is not tension on either one? Maybe it moved a couple teeth?

Old 06-30-2010, 01:00 PM
Former Vendor
Erik@GBox is a jewel in the roughErik@GBox is a jewel in the roughErik@GBox is a jewel in the roughErik@GBox is a jewel in the rough
This sounds like something in the gearbox itself. Maybe bad synchronizers, or operating sleeve. Certainly check the little things first, but I think that you are going to find out that the gearbox needs some more help.

Let me know if I can be of any help to you.

Erik Johnson
GBox Performance Transaxle
(303) 440-8899 work
(303) 895-4828 cell
www.gboxweb.com

Old 06-30-2010, 03:19 PM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
if the transmission was replaced within 2 year, you are probably still covered under the warranty.

Old 06-30-2010, 03:23 PM
Former Vendor
GTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond repute
1 and 2 are on the same axis/fork. It sounds to me like a linkage issue. I think you need to fiddle with the adjustment, especially since there was a change to that 1000 miles ago and I am guessing the problem didn't exist beofre that?

Old 06-30-2010, 07:44 PM
Well I just adjusted both the reverse and forward cables. I will see how the drive into work tomorrow goes!

Thanks Tom

Old 11-10-2010, 01:26 PM
Originally Posted by Erik@GBox
This sounds like something in the gearbox itself. Maybe bad synchronizers, or operating sleeve. Certainly check the little things first, but I think that you are going to find out that the gearbox needs some more help.
This was indeed the case. My third gear dog teeth were contacting the other gears. Trans out for a rebuild. New bearing and third gear syncro, teeth pressed back in. Car is super again!

Tom

Old 11-10-2010, 01:33 PM
Former Vendor
GTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond reputeGTgears has a reputation beyond repute
3rd gear dog teeth contacting other gears? Ouch. Did they explain to you how it could have happened?

Old 11-10-2010, 01:40 PM
This car had the transmission "replaced" for 2nd gear pop out at the dealer several years ago. My shop believes this was a factory defect, that was made worse by the power levels this car is at. The good news is that the transmission was in excellent shape and due to the angle of other gearing no extra damage was sustained. Car has essentially a new transmission in it now!

Old 11-10-2010, 01:53 PM
Saint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud of
I have the same first and second gear issue ... when I downshift to second and not rev match "enough" it would grind second.

What would something like this run me....?

Old 11-10-2010, 01:58 PM
Depends on what is found when they open the transmission up. Mine was about 3k with only $600 in parts.