996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

what ecu do you use and why?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 05:27 PM
mattysupra is a jewel in the roughmattysupra is a jewel in the roughmattysupra is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by unvmy996
brother,over here we are making well over 1200 WHP with guess what ? the stock ecu , Trust me the stock ecu will take you a long way , you just need a good ecu tuner...

i would say get a new mapper/tunner of he told you to ditch the ecu lol cuase he may be cluless about porsches, we are talking porsches here , not other cars .... etc .

I have not spoke to him about a porsche yet! Im just trying to collect info first before i go and see him, he may turn round and say teh porsche ecu is the best thing since sliced bread!

However as there is only a couple of people only on here that seem to run a different ecu, well maybe alot of you are not running as much power as you could with a better ecu! Like i say, im trying to collect some info/knowledge, i hope you are all correct that the standard ecu really is as good as suggested. Hopefully in 6 months time i will be sat here saying " the standard ecu is tha dogs bollox" LOL

Old 06-30-2010, 05:29 PM
mattysupra is a jewel in the roughmattysupra is a jewel in the roughmattysupra is a jewel in the rough
actually there are quite a few from the uk here running setups from out side of the pond making alot of power , so your not alone.

and as you can see above, everyone is saying the same thing, we must know something eh?

stock ecu it will be then by the looks of things, thanks everyone.

Old 06-30-2010, 05:30 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
I personally would not let someone (who has never worked with the Porsche DME) practice and learn on my car. No offense, especially if you know your tuner...These ECU's are NOT like any other aftermarket ECU like the F.A.S.T. , AEM, etc... very different animal.

Old 06-30-2010, 05:33 PM
Originally Posted by ttboost
I personally would not let someone (who has never worked with the Porsche DME) practice and learn on my car. No offense, especially if you know your tuner...These ECU's are NOT like any other aftermarket ECU like the F.A.S.T. , AEM, etc... very different animal.

o.k , point taken. Think i now know enoughon the electrics side.

I will come back to the ecu bit later on if need be, next i could do with some help here please.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ak-points.html

Old 06-30-2010, 05:35 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by mattysupra
However as there is only a couple of people only on here that seem to run a different ecu, well maybe alot of you are not running as much power as you could with a better ecu! Like i say, im trying to collect some info/knowledge, i hope you are all correct that the standard ecu really is as good as suggested. Hopefully in 6 months time i will be sat here saying " the standard ecu is tha dogs bollox" LOL
You are making this way more complicated than it needs to be.

The question is this; do you want to make 1200whp? If so, plan on spending a lot more than $50k on an engine build and still being able to use the stock ECU. The most powerful Porsches in the world (literally) are still using it at that level, so I'm confused as to why you think you won't able to.

Since you already said you refuse to sink money into an engine build, you won't be making anywhere near 1200rwhp. On stock internals, the record is 870'ish by Powell. He uses a semi-standalone, but again..you don't need to. That's just how his tuner rolls.

I guess my point is, there is no possible way you will ever make enough power to need a standalone ECU. Period.

Last edited by Divexxtreme; 06-30-2010 at 05:44 PM.
Old 06-30-2010, 05:41 PM
unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !
I have not spoke to him about a porsche yet! Im just trying to collect info first before i go and see him, he may turn round and say teh porsche ecu is the best thing since sliced bread!

the dogs bollox it is ! LOL . quick question dogs bollox is good ? as opposed to just bollox is not good correct ?

trust me and pretty much everyone else that responded to this thread ,the stock ecu is the way to go , and no we would not be making anymore power with another ecu (atleast for under 1000 whp)

Old 06-30-2010, 05:46 PM
Originally Posted by Divexxtreme
You are making this way more complicated than it needs to be.

The question is this; do you want to make 1200whp? If so, plan on spending a lot more than $50k on an engine build and still being able to use th stock ECU. The most powerful Porsches in the world (literally) are still using it at that level, so I'm confused as to why you think you won't able to.

Since you already said you refuse to sink money into an engine build, you won't be making anywhere near 1200rwhp. On stock internals, the record is 870'ish by Powell. He uses a semi-standalone, but again..you don'd need to. That's just how his tuner rolls.

I guess my point, is, there is no possible way you will ever make enough power to need a standalone ECU. Period.

After all the posts im happy to use stock ecu!

Im happy to build a engine, but what i mean is by " i dont want to sink money into engine builds" is the fact i dont want to spend thousands on a engine for it to fail. My aim of my threads are to gather information/knowledge so i can do this once and once only. I have had to many stupid things fail and destroy engine after engine over the years that could of been prevented with the correct info and 'me' asking "why use this, why do you use that" etc.

Rather than you need to buy xxx and then the other bits will be o.k when they wont be.

Old 06-30-2010, 05:49 PM
the dogs bollox it is ! LOL . quick question dogs bollox is good ? as opposed to just bollox is not good correct ?

trust me and pretty much everyone else that responded to this thread ,the stock ecu is the way to go , and no we would not be making anymore power with another ecu (atleast for under 1000 whp)

Ye , here in the u.k "the dogs bollox" means its really good! LOL Bit like "sh+t hot" (that also means really good)

However, "bollox and sh+t" on there own means its crap LOL!

Old 06-30-2010, 05:51 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !

Im happy to build a engine, but what i mean is by " i dont want to sink money into engine builds" is the fact i dont want to spend thousands on a engine for it to fail. My aim of my threads are to gather information/knowledge so i can do this once and once only. I have had to many stupid things fail and destroy engine after engine over the years that could of been prevented with the correct info and 'me' asking "why use this, why do you use that" etc.

Rather than you need to buy xxx and then the other bits will be o.k when they wont be.

Depending on how extreme you want to go, building one of these motors can easily cost $15k or more...usually more. Nothing is guaranteed, but If you have a good tuner, a built motor should nearly last as long as you need it to...

Old 06-30-2010, 05:54 PM
robertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud ofrobertp has much to be proud of
Ok, depending on what you setup you have you receive a flash for it , then hook up duramentric cable to your car and plug into your lap top again running the durametric program , you do a 3rd gear pull from 1000 rpms to redline , while datalogging a few specific things, you then email those logs to your tuner he goes over them and changes what needs to be changed and sends you back a revised flash . ussulay takes about 2 times to nail it down good.

if you choose to run a boost controller then when you put in race fuel or whatevr high octane fuel , you can just turn the boost up , and no need for race fuel maps.

if you dont want a BC then you just datalog a few runs with race fuel and you have a race file to uplaod when you want to run somone or whatever.

its much safer the trying to hardwire anything into something and try to listen for knock etc etc you can have the ecu do everything for you ,and even have the failsafes grogramed into it .

yes you can program brake boosting and launch control through the stock ecu.
Your looking for an ECU flash called REVO Select Plus. I have it, custom tune for fuel, boost and other variables. I attached a document that may help you understand what Revo may offer.

Attached Files
Old 06-30-2010, 05:55 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !

Well bro, if you truly want to absolutely do it once and only once....here is what I would recommend (assuming you want a LOT of power and are willing to spend a lot of money and don't mind building your motor):

-Pauter rods, headwork (or Mckenzie heads if you feel like dropping $10k), cams, valve springs, new lifters.
-'GT30' sized turbos or larger (take you pic which ones..there are bunch), all bolt-ons + tuning
-Tilton clutch, 300M axles, new synchros and taller 1st gear

Cost will probably be in the $60-$80k range. You'll have over 1krwhp (depending on the turbos you get and the boost you run).

Or....leave the motor stock, install all the good bolt-ons (turbos, fuel pump, injectors, intake, exhaust, clutch, tune) for 700rwhp and drive the **** out of it for $20-$25k.

Last edited by Divexxtreme; 06-30-2010 at 05:57 PM.
Old 06-30-2010, 05:57 PM
Originally Posted by Divexxtreme
Well bro, if you truly want to absolutely do it once and only once....here is what I would recommend (assuming you want a LOT of power and are willing to spend a lot of money and don't mind building your motor):

-Pauter rods, headwork (or Mckenzie heads if you feel like dropping $10k), cams, valve springs, new lifters.
-'GT30' sized turbos or larger (take you pic which ones..there are bunch), all bolt-ons + tuning
-Tilton clutch, 300M axles, new synchros and taller 1st gear

Cost will be in the $80-$100k range. You'll have over 1krwhp (depending on the turbos you getr and the boost you run).

Or....leave the motor stock, install all the good bolt-ons for 700rwhp and drive the **** out of it for $25k.

A few have done the former, most have done (or are going to do)the latter...

Old 06-30-2010, 05:58 PM
Depending on how extreme you want to go, building one of these motors can easily cost $15k or more...usually more. Nothing is guaranteed, but If you have a good tuner, a built motor should nearly last as long as you need it to...

15$ american money i guess? well thats penny's (small money) compared to what stuff costs me here (u.k) at the moment on current motor. I have no issues at all spending that. But like i say, i want it done once only and i want it to last. Im not made of money, but can afford to do it once, its when i keep having stupid stuff fail like water pumps/oil pumps etc that i dont want. If there are stupid issues i would want to address these issues in one shot rather than being bitten in the *** for a engine failer due to a $100 part!

Old 06-30-2010, 06:00 PM
A few have done the former, most have done (or are going to do)the latter...
I've done both and prefer a combination of the two.

Old 06-30-2010, 06:00 PM
unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by robertp
Your looking for an ECU flash called REVO Select Plus. I have it, custom tune for fuel, boost and other variables. I attached a document that may help you understand what Revo may offer.
no offense robert, but for 700+ whp i would not use revo especilay since they do not offer there own horsepower kits. i would choose protomotive, evoms , epl , real tuners that offer great support also, as that is very important .

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: what ecu do you use and why?