996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

what ecu do you use and why?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 04:03 PM
mattysupra is a jewel in the roughmattysupra is a jewel in the roughmattysupra is a jewel in the rough
IAT? i take it you mean inlet air temp?

so your inlet temps are higher after a good run. I have always found that my inlet temps are always high when sat there waiting to do a run and they drop loads the faster i go. In the end i was purging the nitrous through the intercooler to give me lower temps before i would do 1/4 mile run etc.

So if your inlet temps raise when you drive quick, well the car defo needs bigger intercoolers or is the issue where they are mounted they suffer heat soak from the engine maybe?

Where are the intercoolers mounted?

Again, sorry for my lak of knowledge on these cars, i really need to go and study one in the flesh!

Old 07-01-2010, 04:10 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by mattysupra
IAT? i take it you mean inlet air temp?

so your inlet temps are higher after a good run. I have always found that my inlet temps are always high when sat there waiting to do a run and they drop loads the faster i go. In the end i was purging the nitrous through the intercooler to give me lower temps before i would do 1/4 mile run etc.

So if your inlet temps raise when you drive quick, well the car defo needs bigger intercoolers or is the issue where they are mounted they suffer heat soak from the engine maybe?

Where are the intercoolers mounted?

Again, sorry for my lak of knowledge on these cars, i really need to go and study one in the flesh!

Yes intake air temp. If you sit long enough idling you will get heatsoak and have higher IAT numbers and if fact will go down when you start to move. I was cognisant of this and didn't sit with my car running at the Mile. Intercoolers are mounted in the rear fenders. The "scoops" on the rear fender wells divert air across them through sealed ducts so they only get outside air. IMO, the stock intercoolers are useless for anything over 1.0-1.2 bar, and most of us are running 1.2+. You really need to see one of these cars up close, so you can marvel at the engineering that went into them...

Old 07-01-2010, 04:17 PM
mattysupra is a jewel in the roughmattysupra is a jewel in the roughmattysupra is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by ttboost
Yes intake air temp. If you sit long enough idling you will get heatsoak and have higher IAT numbers and if fact will go down when you start to move. I was cognisant of this and didn't sit with my car running at the Mile. Intercoolers are mounted in the rear fenders. The "scoops" on the rear fender wells divert air across them through sealed ducts so they only get outside air. IMO, the stock intercoolers are useless for anything over 1.0-1.2 bar, and most of us are running 1.2+. You really need to see one of these cars up close, so you can marvel at the engineering that went into them...

Yes i do need to look at one properly, i have looked many times at the outside but never under engine bay, Daft thing is that my mate has a 996 carrera s i think it is, its never intrested me, drove it and it was stupid slow (well not slow but nothing like what im used to) so i never even bothered looking underneath the "hood" (is that the right word?) .

However i know the turbos are a complete different car, there is a chap that spanks his past my house every night and you can tell its quick, plus there is 1 that runs down the 1/4 mile thats doing low 11's so i know they are quick !

Old 07-01-2010, 04:20 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Yes i do need to look at one properly, i have looked many times at the outside but never under engine bay, Daft thing is that my mate has a 996 carrera s i think it is, its never intrested me, drove it and it was stupid slow (well not slow but nothing like what im used to) so i never even bothered looking underneath the "hood" (is that the right word?) .

However i know the turbos are a complete different car, there is a chap that spanks his past my house every night and you can tell its quick, plus there is 1 that runs down the 1/4 mile thats doing low 11's so i know they are quick !
Yes. turbo and NON turbo are 2 totally different cars with 2 totally different engines. You owe it to yourslef to drive one immediately. Don't be too disappointed at the dismal stock performance, there is a lot of potential as you know.

Old 07-01-2010, 04:37 PM
Yes. turbo and NON turbo are 2 totally different cars with 2 totally different engines. You owe it to yourslef to drive one immediately. Don't be too disappointed at the dismal stock performance, there is a lot of potential as you know.

There is a user on this forum that works 1 mile away from me and offered to meet up, i might have to take him up on his offer.

I cant stand the staff at our porsche dealers, i was there looking at 1 last week. They all tend to look at me in a way you can read there mind with them thinking "he cant afford a porsche" etc. Really pee's me off, however pulling up in jeans, tshirt and driving a citroen berlingo van proberly gives out the wrong impression LOL. Everyone else turns up in a nice motor and a suit!

Old 07-01-2010, 04:41 PM
There is a user on this forum that works 1 mile away from me and offered to meet up, i might have to take him up on his offer.

I cant stand the staff at our porsche dealers, i was there looking at 1 last week. They all tend to look at me in a way you can read there mind with them thinking "he cant afford a porsche" etc. Really pee's me off, however pulling up in jeans, tshirt and driving a citroen berlingo van proberly gives out the wrong impression LOL. Everyone else turns up in a nice motor and a suit!
#1. Do NOT have the dealer work on your car. Find a reputable "Indy"
#2 Let them think what they want.
#3 Buy your car and enjoy it.

I show up everywhere in my turbo wearing shorts or jeans and a ripped 20 year old Iron Maiden T-shirt and an expensive watch...I think it's funny, who cares what they think...
They're jealous because they work there and can't afford one...

Old 07-01-2010, 04:54 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
I show up everywhere in my turbo wearing shorts or jeans and a ripped 20 year old Iron Maiden T-shirt and an expensive watch...I think it's funny, who cares what they think....
Ha ha...my kind of guy. I typically drive around in flip-flops, boards shorts and a some sort of t-shirt. I get strange looks everytime I step out of my car.

Old 07-01-2010, 05:16 PM
maybe its the U.K mate? Most people who drive porsches over here drive them for one reason only. That is to show off they have money. They will always be wearing a suit, the watch (as mention earlier LOL) and some really sh+tty looking sunglasses even tho we dont get to see much sun in the U.K, ooooo i forget the orange sun tan. If you have a sun tan in the u.k it will be orange as you have just had it sprayed on!

However you do get the odd person (like myself and i would 100% say other users of this forum) that have purchased there cars for the simple reason "it does what it says it does" Not for the privaledge of having porsche written on the badge. (i hope im right here LOL)

To me i dont give a toss what badge/make the car is, im thinking of buying one as i 'hope' it will preform like i read the car does!

Am i right?

Old 07-01-2010, 05:26 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
To me i dont give a toss what badge/make the car is, im thinking of buying one as i 'hope' it will preform like i read the car does!

Am i right?
You're a performance enthusiast, just like the majority of us are in this forum. The 996 and 997 Turbo varients are some of the best perfomance and modification platforms you can purchase. You're making the right choice, mate.

Old 07-01-2010, 05:33 PM
Originally Posted by Divexxtreme
Ha ha...my kind of guy. I typically drive around in flip-flops, boards shorts and a some sort of t-shirt. I get strange looks everytime I step out of my car.
I tried the flippies once...never again...

Old 07-01-2010, 05:45 PM
steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !
am confused (and it does not take much to do that) am using a giac tune about three years old getting 1.3 boost on race fuel.is a new tune around in the last few years and does giac still upgrade there old tunes if how much???

Old 07-01-2010, 06:07 PM
Originally Posted by steve harris
am confused (and it does not take much to do that) am using a giac tune about three years old getting 1.3 boost on race fuel.is a new tune around in the last few years and does giac still upgrade there old tunes if how much???
Steve - contact EVOMS and ask them about EVOMSit.

Last edited by Divexxtreme; 07-01-2010 at 07:00 PM.
Old 07-01-2010, 06:40 PM
steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !steve harris Is a GOD !
dix thanks will give it a try i called giac few months ago they would not give me any info at all