996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

what ecu do you use and why?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 03:39 PM
mattysupra is a jewel in the roughmattysupra is a jewel in the roughmattysupra is a jewel in the rough
what ecu do you use and why?

hi, what ecu do lot use over the standard one?

Do you use piggy back ecus or standalone type ecus? what do you use and why?

Does anyone make a plug and play ecu or do they all need to be hard wired?

Thanks

Old 06-30-2010, 03:48 PM
Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !
There is no "commercial" available aftermarket ECU's for these cars. Almost every single person that makes big power still uses factory computers.

There are two cars that I KNOW of that run a standalone computer, that do NOT have CEL's, ABS/PSM, etc. issues on a 996TT. That would be Justin N and my car. Justin N wired and figured everything out on his own and I was able to have it done on my car. He is the man behind Tuning Concepts and has just a LITTLE bit of credit behind his name for records, numbers, etc.. LOL!

We use a HKS FCON computer that works with a HKS Knock-Amp to control everything. The stock computer still is there, but it is only there for throttle and variocam basically. This is not a piggyback style setup like some people claim that it is. I'm sure if Justin gets some time he can explain it better.

Honestly though if you are even looking for 800rwhp you should stick with a stock DME. They Bosch ME 7.8 is a VERY advanced computer. Justin and I worked closely with EPL and made 843rwhp on a remotely tuned car (my personal car).

Old 06-30-2010, 04:00 PM
mattysupra is a jewel in the roughmattysupra is a jewel in the roughmattysupra is a jewel in the rough
thanks for the reply, as it happens im using a HKS fcon pro 3.1 on my current car along with the knock/wideband also! However i have never managed to get the knock amp to display knock levels (can hear knock when ear phones plugged in tho while mapping)

I have all the wiring diagrames for the HKS stuff along with software to map the hks pro, was hoping that they did a plug in connector tho! (also i thought i would get laughed at if i mentioned a hks ecu on here!)

However, been playing with a 'link ecu' and they are a bit more advanced than the HKS so thinking of going that route if i have to hard wire it.

Problem is that here in the U.k there dont really seem to be any tunners apart from the chaps that do simple ecu flashes etc with a 1 fits all remap. I have access to a 4 wheel droive hub dino and a chap that really is a top chap at mapping, he has always done me proud and i have watched a few different cars make 1000bhp on the dino.

However i will be aiming for approx 700bhp @ the 4 wheels if i decide to go down the route of a 996tt. Im still trying to work out how much the engines will take before we need to start sorting pistons etc.

Also what are CEL's, PSM, ?????

Thanks for your reply.

Old 06-30-2010, 04:28 PM
Basic Sponsor
markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !markski@markskituning Is a GOD !
why go thru all that trouble when we and a few other US tuners can work with you and tune remotely via logs... cheaper, faster, and safer...

2001 996TT 3.6L and stock ECU
seconds @ 147.76 mph 1/4 mile
click to view
160 mph @ 9.77 seconds in 1/4 mile click to view
50% OFF ON PORSCHE ECU TUNING BLACK FRIDAY SPECIAL

Last edited by markski@markskituning; 06-30-2010 at 06:48 PM.
Old 06-30-2010, 04:30 PM
unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !
Cel= check engine lights, PSM = traction control ,

um , standalone are not needed unless your going for big power like powell , and say you do go that route you better really know what your doing to get everything working right and so you wont get any christmas trees on your dash .

with the power your looking for that can easy be attainable with any of the good tuners, ecu flash and fine tune it through dataloging .and that way you get your tune for your car with your mods.

Old 06-30-2010, 04:37 PM
Originally Posted by MARKSKI@911tuning
why go thru all that trouble when we and many a few other US tuners can work with you and tune remotely via logs... cheaper, faster, and safer...

when you say remotley tune, how do you do that? do you send me a map simular to what ever setup i go for? how do you fine tune it to what ever fuel ron etc i maybe using?

If i was to stick with the standard ecu (sorry i know nothing abouy them) can you have mulitple maps for different fuels etc that i can switch to or would i need to change the map with the laptop etc? Does the standard ecu have antilag/launch control etc?

also when you say safer? surely its safer for me to have the car on the dino with det cans, wideband etc connected and map the car that way or am i speaking bollox here? On my last mapping/dino runs it took them 8 hours to get my car perfect when they already had base map from a car with simular setup. Or do you some how remotly do all this from your end?

Sorry if im not making sence here! Thanks for your input.

Old 06-30-2010, 04:45 PM
Originally Posted by unvmy996
Cel= check engine lights, PSM = traction control ,

um , standalone are not needed unless your going for big power like powell , and say you do go that route you better really know what your doing to get everything working right and so you wont get any christmas trees on your dash .

with the power your looking for that can easy be attainable with any of the good tuners, ecu flash and fine tune it through dataloging .and that way you get your tune for your car with your mods.

Maybe im not understanding this data logging and how it works. I want a around 700bhp @ the wheels to start with, i will almost defo want alot more in the future if the car drives and behaves how i want it to and if it runs reliable. However i refuse to sink many thousands into engine builds etc like i have done before (most engine builds have been down to daft failers that could of been prevented with a bit more knowledge) , im looking at my options at the moment and as i dont know nothing about the 911/996tt i dont know how far i can push things. Im slowely learning tho and trying to gather the knowledge of what works and what dont work!

Thanks for you help.

Old 06-30-2010, 04:52 PM
unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !unvmy996 Is a GOD !
Ok, depending on what you setup you have you receive a flash for it , then hook up duramentric cable to your car and plug into your lap top again running the durametric program , you do a 3rd gear pull from 1000 rpms to redline , while datalogging a few specific things, you then email those logs to your tuner he goes over them and changes what needs to be changed and sends you back a revised flash . ussulay takes about 2 times to nail it down good.

if you choose to run a boost controller then when you put in race fuel or whatevr high octane fuel , you can just turn the boost up , and no need for race fuel maps.

if you dont want a BC then you just datalog a few runs with race fuel and you have a race file to uplaod when you want to run somone or whatever.

its much safer the trying to hardwire anything into something and try to listen for knock etc etc you can have the ecu do everything for you ,and even have the failsafes grogramed into it .

yes you can program brake boosting and launch control through the stock ecu.

Old 06-30-2010, 04:57 PM
Originally Posted by mattysupra
Maybe im not understanding this data logging and how it works. I want a around 700bhp @ the wheels to start with, i will almost defo want alot more in the future if the car drives and behaves how i want it to and if it runs reliable. However i refuse to sink many thousands into engine builds etc like i have done before (most engine builds have been down to daft failers that could of been prevented with a bit more knowledge) , im looking at my options at the moment and as i dont know nothing about the 911/996tt i dont know how far i can push things. Im slowely learning tho and trying to gather the knowledge of what works and what dont work!

Thanks for you help.
i have markskis kit , and im making well above 700 whp . your best bet is to order his kit , you everything you need plus your tune plus amazing tech support pretty much anytime ,as the man does not sleep lol.

this way you dont have to trouble shoot with anything , mix matching diffrent things(which i highly do not advise, pick a tuner and setup and stick with them).saves you alot of grief and headaches and money in the end. trust me i have had 3 setups before this and spend alot of money before i came to my sences.

Old 06-30-2010, 05:02 PM
thanks, i will speak to the chap who i use to map my other motors. He will know alot more than me (obviously) and see what input and questions he may have for you all.

I dont want to make the same mistake i made with a Audi RS6 i used to have and be told by everyone that i dont need this and that etc. I listened to them and played with the standard ecu and my tunner kept telling me i was being held back by the ecu. I sold the car and the chap who brought it did what i orginaly wanted to do and made loads more power, was kick in the ***** !

Must say that my mapper/tunner told me to dump the ecu i have on one of my cars now and he made massive power compared to the old ecu!

Thanks for your input chaps.

Old 06-30-2010, 05:08 PM
Originally Posted by unvmy996
i have markskis kit , and im making well above 700 whp . your best bet is to order his kit , you everything you need plus your tune plus amazing tech support pretty much anytime ,as the man does not sleep lol.

this way you dont have to trouble shoot with anything , mix matching diffrent things(which i highly do not advise, pick a tuner and setup and stick with them).saves you alot of grief and headaches and money in the end. trust me i have had 3 setups before this and spend alot of money before i came to my sences.

LOL, tell me about it, many years ago (10+) when i used to have a supra i invested 50k into different setups, i could make the same power now for under 10k! Trial and error, however im in the same situation now, i seem to be 1 of the first in the u.k that wants to play with a 996tt, at least i have you lot to help me along tho unlike many years ago when i seemed to be the only person mad enough to try and make power from a toyota LOL

Old 06-30-2010, 05:18 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
1. Making 700 whp on these cars is easy pretty these days. There are many tuners here that can do it. Take your pick.

2. As long as you use a good tune and the right fuel for that tune, the stock internals will be fine at that power level.

3. These aren't Audis.

4. Good luck!

Old 06-30-2010, 05:18 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
You can make 700whp reliably with the stock ECU and bolt-on parts. I have 600whp now with basically K24/18g hybrid turbos and meth injection. All I need is more boost and more injector and I am pretty close to 700whp too. I have all stock intake piping and intercoolers too, which is a huge disadvantage, but I hope to change that soon...Stick to stock ECU, you will be happier, and so will your wallet. You can get all of your files by email and back on the road in no time. With few exceptions, all of the 1000whp guys here in the states are all on stock ECU's with some kind of blow through MAF solution. You should do the same. Contact EPL, Markski (Protomotive) or any other US tuner and you will be all set. I have EPL and am very happy as are many others. Good luck in your travels here!!!

Old 06-30-2010, 05:19 PM
thanks, i will speak to the chap who i use to map my other motors. He will know alot more than me (obviously) and see what input and questions he may have for you all.

I dont want to make the same mistake i made with a Audi RS6 i used to have and be told by everyone that i dont need this and that etc. I listened to them and played with the standard ecu and my tunner kept telling me i was being held back by the ecu. I sold the car and the chap who brought it did what i orginaly wanted to do and made loads more power, was kick in the ***** !

Must say that my mapper/tunner told me to dump the ecu i have on one of my cars now and he made massive power compared to the old ecu!

Thanks for your input chaps.
brother,over here we are making well over 1200 WHP with guess what ? the stock ecu , Trust me the stock ecu will take you a long way , you just need a good ecu tuner...

i would say get a new mapper/tunner of he told you to ditch the ecu lol cuase he may be cluless about porsches, we are talking porsches here , not other cars .... etc .

Old 06-30-2010, 05:21 PM
LOL, tell me about it, many years ago (10+) when i used to have a supra i invested 50k into different setups, i could make the same power now for under 10k! Trial and error, however im in the same situation now, i seem to be 1 of the first in the u.k that wants to play with a 996tt, at least i have you lot to help me along tho unlike many years ago when i seemed to be the only person mad enough to try and make power from a toyota LOL
actually there are quite a few from the uk here running setups from out side of the pond making alot of power , so your not alone.

and as you can see above, everyone is saying the same thing, we must know something eh?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: what ecu do you use and why?