996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

BMW forum trash talking and Drag race vids...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-03-2010, 11:35 PM
SCM3 has a spectacular aura aboutSCM3 has a spectacular aura aboutSCM3 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Divexxtreme
Ya, that GT2 is only an exhaust, filter, tune only car. Prodigy has the same mods plus he also has a 5BAR FPR. He makes a little more HP (according to the Dynojet he used), but the GT2 weighs 300 lbs less, so they are probably very similar in acceleration.

Races are great, but sometimes it's hard to get an accurate picture from a street race video ("he started from a dig, which is not my strong point", "that driver sucked", "something must be wrong here", etc..), but 1/4 mile times and 60-130 times don't lie.
Scott there is something very iffy about our car, im trying to understand it. Some f these cars are running very good with impressive videos, runs, times and races. However some are dissapointing for some reason.

For example Scotts (RaceMX-M3) stg 2.5 HPF M3 ra a 5.61 60-130 which we both know is quite fast. His dyno's show 667whp which compared to others is a good time relative to his HP. I know another stg 2.5 that has ran a 6.2 60-130 time which is not that great but ok. What im leaning towards is that these cars are very driver and traction dependent more so then other cars including Porsche. You have to bang the gears hard and rev them out. I have found myself short shifting alot, almost everytime ive ran it hard. It seems like the modified Porsches are much easier to run hard and get good times. RaceMX-M3 is the only M3 guy that has actually gotten decent times for his power level. My 6.80 60-130 time was horrible and i was putting down roughly the same power as RaceMX-M3 at my boost level. Hopefully as the car gets more popular with these power levels we will see people driving them better and getting better results.

A 615whp M3 should not be losing to a 460whp Porsche off a roll. And somehow the Porsche is actually gaining top end? This makes no sense... Traction shouldnt be an issue at those speeds so what is happening? Are Porsches HP levels much more generous then others?

Old 07-03-2010, 11:37 PM
Nikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant future
What is the weight difference between the cars?

Old 07-03-2010, 11:38 PM
SCM3 has a spectacular aura aboutSCM3 has a spectacular aura aboutSCM3 has a spectacular aura about
Nice race. Good kill.

The SG kits have a very bad rep on here.

There was a guy that had a SG700 kit that only made 505awhp on 104 octane during a back-to-back dyno comparison with an EVOMS GT700 kit that made 570 awhp on 91 octane. He immediately sold his SG700 kit and bought the GT700 kit.

If that's any indicator, I'm guessing the SG650 car was probably in the 450-470 whp range.

Check it out...
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...o-results.html
As funny as it is, that is the car I ran in my video! Im sure he was running race gas that night in the video. Im not downplaying Porsche with the video i posted, i know that setup was nowhere near as good as others.

It looks like he was making 505awhp w/ sunoco 104 ~75º .

Last edited by SCM3; 07-03-2010 at 11:41 PM.
Old 07-03-2010, 11:39 PM
Originally Posted by Nikolas
What is the weight difference between the cars?
A normal M3 probably weighs 3400lb's and it looks like it had 2 passengers as well as the GT2. I dont know what the GT2 weighs but probably a 400lb car difference there.

Old 07-03-2010, 11:56 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by SCM3
Scott there is something very iffy about our car, im trying to understand it. Some f these cars are running very good with impressive videos, runs, times and races. However some are dissapointing for some reason.

For example Scotts (RaceMX-M3) stg 2.5 HPF M3 ra a 5.61 60-130 which we both know is quite fast. His dyno's show 667whp which compared to others is a good time relative to his HP. I know another stg 2.5 that has ran a 6.2 60-130 time which is not that great but ok. What im leaning towards is that these cars are very driver and traction dependent more so then other cars including Porsche. You have to bang the gears hard and rev them out. I have found myself short shifting alot, almost everytime ive ran it hard. It seems like the modified Porsches are much easier to run hard and get good times. RaceMX-M3 is the only M3 guy that has actually gotten decent times for his power level. My 6.80 60-130 time was horrible and i was putting down roughly the same power as RaceMX-M3 at my boost level. Hopefully as the car gets more popular with these power levels we will see people driving them better and getting better results.

A 615whp M3 should not be losing to a 460whp Porsche off a roll. And somehow the Porsche is actually gaining top end? This makes no sense... Traction shouldnt be an issue at those speeds so what is happening? Are Porsches HP levels much more generous then others?
Vik - I think you are definitely in the ballpark when you talk about having to drive the big-power M3's properly. I know they make lots of power. No argument there.

It just seems (just like you implied) that the stars need to be aligned and everything has to be perfect to fully extract their power and put it to the ground properly. So far, the only guy I've seen that has been able to do that is RaceMX in his 2.5 car. It runs what it should, but none of the others seem to. Obviously, if you can hook, your car will produce some very fast times, faster than RaceMX for sure....but maybe not the times you expect due to the reason above???

I haven't studied the HPF dynos but maybe it has to do with boost onset, time under the curve, definitely putting power to the ground...hell, I really don't know what else.

I do know that the Porsches seem to do more with less, against many other cars...but I'm not 100% sure why. I guess the combination of the torque curve, gearing, and and the ability to hook all come into play. Z06's do this also. They are f'ing fast with very little mods and 'normal' power levels (500rwhp or so).

As far as Porsches being underrated, we have plenty of dynos out there that show their power. A typical tune and exhaust on K24's at 1.1 BAR is in the 450-480 range. No surprises there.

It just seems that turning the M3 into a truly useable platform at big power levels seems to have proven to be a very difficult task so far. I really don't know what else to say.

Last edited by Divexxtreme; 07-04-2010 at 12:05 AM.
Old 07-04-2010, 12:00 AM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
As funny as it is, that is the car I ran in my video! Im sure he was running race gas that night in the video. Im not downplaying Porsche with the video i posted, i know that setup was nowhere near as good as others.
I didn't think you were downplaying at all, bro. It's unfortunately just one of those cases where some tunes are better than others. FYI; his car did at one time have an SG650 kit on it, then he went to the SG700, and then finally the EVOMS 700. I'm not sure which kit he had when you guys raced.

As far as some good runs, I think there are some EVOMS cars near you? EPL or Protomotive cars? Most of the US Porsche tuners make the power that they claim. Only a few don't, and most of them have already gone by the wayside.

Old 07-04-2010, 12:01 AM
Vik - I think you are definitely in the ballpark when you talk about having to drive the big-power M3's properly. I know they make lots of power. No arfument there.

It just seems (just like you implied) that the stars need to be aligned and everything has to be perfect to fully extract their power and put it to the ground properly. SO far, the onlyguy I've seen that has been able to do that is RaceMX in his 2.5 car. It runs what it chould, but nonw of the others seem to. Obviously, if you can hook, your car will produce some very fast times, faster tha RaceMX for sure....but maybe not the times you expect due to the reason above??

I haven't studied the HPF dynos but maybe it has to do with boost onset, time under the curve, definitely putting power to the ground...I really don't know what else.

I do know that the Porsches seem to do more with less, against many other cars...but I'm not 100% sure why. I guess the combination of the torque curve, gearing, and and the ability to hook all come into play. Z06's fo this aslo. They are f'ing fast with very little mods and 'normal' power levels (500rwhp or so).

As far as Porsches being underrated, we have plenty of dynos that show the cars power. A typical tune and exhaust on K24's at 1.1 BAR is in the 450-480 range. No surprises there.

It just seems that turning the M3 into a truly useable platform at big power levels seems to have proven to be a very difficult task so far. I really don't know what else to day.
Ya something is up and im going to try to find out what is the deal with these M3's. With my car finally having a big tire setup I can finally really test what the M3 can do. Lets see if traction is the only issue here. If it is then its simple as using a good tire setup and driving good.

Old 07-04-2010, 12:03 AM
A normal M3 probably weighs 3400lb's and it looks like it had 2 passengers as well as the GT2. I dont know what the GT2 weighs but probably a 400lb car difference there.
A GT2 is around 3200 without the driver.

Old 07-04-2010, 12:03 AM
I didn't think you were downplaying at all, bro. It's unfortunately just one of those cases where some tunes are better than others. FYI; his car did at one time have an SG650 kit on it, then he went to the SG700, and then finally the EVOMS 700. I'm not sure which kit he had when you guys raced.

As far as some good runs, I think there are some EVOMS cars near you? EPL or Protomotive cars? Most of the US Porsche tuners make the power that they claim. Only a few don't, and most of them have already gone by the wayside.

Ya ive been out of the loop alittle but ive heard about plenty of fast Porsces around. I just gotta go out more, missed a big meet today that included plenty of fast ones. Im gonna try to get to the next one for sure! Been dying to test out the new tires just havent gotten around to it yet.

Old 07-04-2010, 12:06 AM
A GT2 is around 3200 without the driver.
So weight wasn't much of a big deal. Where is the 160whp difference going? Especially when the Gt2 is apparently pulling up top. Thats alot of hp to counter at high speeds, surely you would think the car with 160hp more would be pulling. Maybe something is happening to the M3 where it is actually losing power? Ive never experiences that with my car, it actually starts to pull harder, so i dont know.

Old 07-04-2010, 12:11 AM
Banned
CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !
I do know that the Porsches seem to do more with less, against many other cars...but I'm not 100% sure why.

It just seems that turning the M3 into a truly useable platform at big power levels seems to have proven to be a very difficult task so far. I really don't know what else to say.
You are only applying your experience with the E46. The E92 is kind of a new ballgame and with the DCT it can run with cars that have much more power. I'm sure you have seen some of Drew's videos proving this.

Old 07-04-2010, 12:14 AM
Banned
CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !
Ya something is up and im going to try to find out what is the deal with these M3's. With my car finally having a big tire setup I can finally really test what the M3 can do. Lets see if traction is the only issue here. If it is then its simple as using a good tire setup and driving good.
Plenty of E36 guys have the setup figured out. The top E36 is running faster traps than any of the top 996/997 Porsches on the 6speed 1/4 list and is running mid 9's. So I just don't see what Divexxtreme is saying.

Old 07-04-2010, 12:20 AM
Originally Posted by CURI0
Plenty of E36 guys have the setup figured out. The top E36 is running faster traps than any of the top 996/997 Porsches on the 6speed 1/4 list and is running mid 9's. So I just don't see what Divexxtreme is saying.
Well I think he is speaking only about the E46's which have shown big power but are having some trouble posting great results. It may just take some more time just like it did with the E36's which now are showing incredible results. The trap speed some of them are running are insane and very true no 996tt or 997tt has comparable trap speeds even though some show more power.

I'm hoping this is the case as the S54 motor is incredible. My car feels like no other as mentioned by quite a few guys I has given rides to who have sat in many other high hp cars. Let's see what I can do with this car once and for all. Either I bust or come up with very impressive numbers.

And very true the new m3's are probably the fastest growing of all the m3 generations in terms of numbers. Very exciting stuff really.

Old 07-04-2010, 12:20 AM
germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !
Aren't we talking mainly about E46's though? I think it's hugely driver dependent...the AA Turbo car I beat had at the very least 100 rwhp more than me....I was told 150 rwhp or so advantage. Yes I baited him to run my roll but I was pulling on him as the speeds were rising. Also the fact that the S54's need every last available rev and don't have a huge amount of power under the curve.

Old 07-04-2010, 12:25 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by germeezy1
Aren't we talking mainly about E46's though? I think it's hugely driver dependent...the AA Turbo car I beat had at the very least 100 rwhp more than me....I was told 150 rwhp or so advantage. Yes I baited him to run my roll but I was pulling on him as the speeds were rising. Also the fact that the S54's need every last available rev and don't have a huge amount of power under the curve.
I would think so but it also seems some broader aspects of BMW performance were brought up as well.

The turbo S54's have a nice curve but when SC'd they definitely need to be wound out. Also with a broader rev range they can be geared shorter.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.

Quick Reply: BMW forum trash talking and Drag race vids...