996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

BMW forum trash talking and Drag race vids...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-04-2010, 10:56 AM
SCM3 has a spectacular aura aboutSCM3 has a spectacular aura aboutSCM3 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by 007-911
I say bring the fastest M3's to the texas mile or like event and run against some of the fastest 996/997 turbos. My money is on the P-cars.
Well the mile is a whole different subject we dont know well the high hp M3's will do there. They might actually do well because traction wont be much of an issue up top. But we would have to change gearing, for example mine will be limited to about 206mph. We have done some calculations using a software called car test which shows my car running a 220mph mile with changed gearing in 850whp mode. But by no means is that a real world test, im just sure it is capable of doing it. Who knows maybe I can get my car to Texas one time...

Just keep in mind though, there are M3's running 154mph in the 1/4 mile. Those M3's are running the same power or less then my car.

Old 07-04-2010, 11:05 AM
Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !Prche951 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by SCM3
Actually 60-130 is all about power, traction, driver, gearing and weight. There are E36 M3's running154+ trap speeds, that shows plenty of power, more so then any 996tt/997tt. It just looks like BMW guys are just getting into the 60-130 scene. Also it requires very good traction to get very good times, which traction is hard to come by for the E46 M3.

4.x 60-130 times are intense, but it also shows how well the Porsches are setup for it compared to other cars. Seems like it is much easier to get a good time with it.

Scott that car has never ran a 9.7. That is Cams car which is actually street driven alot.

Here is the 9.7 car. Which apart from running a drag tire/wheel setup should be drivable, no way is that a dedicated drag car.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=940MQRl6mdg

Here is the E30 that is also street driven.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFKtOI5Y3Oc

Not to run off topic but this is a dedicated drag BMW.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMZhbRfOAOY

That is PencilGeeks M3 and it was apparently having some issues but that is the only FI M3 ive seen go down the mile. I believe it ran a 186 at the Texas Mile. Which again shows how much more serious Porsche guys are, as there are plenty of them running at the mile runs.
good vids. Yeah, it is interesting how each can run better in different arenas. P-car better 60-130, SCm3 better 1/4 in most cases.

Old 07-04-2010, 11:08 AM
SCM3 has a spectacular aura aboutSCM3 has a spectacular aura aboutSCM3 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Prche951
good vids. Yeah, it is interesting how each can run better in different arenas. P-car better 60-130, SCm3 better 1/4 in most cases.
These are all turbo M3's not SCM3's. My screen name is misleading as it was created when i had a supercharged setup.

Scott can you change my name here to tazam3?

Old 07-04-2010, 11:13 AM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Oops, I must have posted the wrong link. I thought that was Radowski's car.

Again, I'm not taking anything away from these cars. They are very fast. They built those cars with the goal of running a fast 1/4 mile time and they did just that. Just like Eddie Bello's Porsche that went 9.1 @ 162; dedicated drag car. Nothing wrong with that at all.

I just don't think it's nearly as impressive as something like this: Stock motor, stock tranny, stock driveline, full-weight (3,600 lbs), nothing but bolt-ons, at a little over 800awhp. This a true, 100% street car that only saw the dragstrip once, for testing purposes. This same car makes 915whp (still on the stock motor) and has run a 4.25 60-130.

Powell went 10.0 @ 149 in his car with a stock motor, stock tranny, stock driveline, AWD, full-weight with nothing more than bolt-ons at 870 whp. He was running slicks and skinnies, however. He's hit 4.8s 60-130.

No street BMWs exist on planet earth that comes close to these car in similar configurations.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5xMyVaqtkU

Last edited by Divexxtreme; 07-04-2010 at 11:28 AM.
Old 07-04-2010, 11:14 AM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Prche951
Dennis,

Those are all Turbo charged E36's, set up for the dragstrip. Not SC'd.

Old 07-04-2010, 11:15 AM
Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !Christian Is a GOD !
These cars are apples/oranges. Why even bother trying to compare

Old 07-04-2010, 11:17 AM
Originally Posted by SCM3

Scott can you change my name here to tazam3?
I can't, but one of the Admins can. Send a PM to IB Tim.

Old 07-04-2010, 11:28 AM
Originally Posted by Divexxtreme
Oops, I must have posted the wrong link. I thought that was Radowski's car.

Again, I'm not taking anything away from these cars. They are very fast. They built those cars with the goal of running a fast 1/4 mile time and they did just that. Nothing wrong with that at all.

I just don't think it's nearly as impressive as something like this. Stock motor, stock tranny, stock driveline, full-weight (3,600 lbs), nothing but bolt-ons, at a little over 800awhp. This a true, 100% street car that only saw the dragstrip once, for testing purposes. This same car makes 915whp (still on the stock motor) and has run a 4.25 60-130.

Powell went 10.0 @ 149 in his car with a stock motor, stock tranny, stock driveline, AWD, full-weight with nothing more than bolt-ons at 870 whp. He was running slicks and skinnies, however. He's hit 4.8s 60-130.

No street BMWs exist on planet earth that comes close to these car in similar configurations.
No doubt that is very impressive, it definitely seems easier to be quicker with the Porsches.

I don't see why Mike Radowski's E36 cant be considered a street BMW. I believe it is, it doesnt have a drag tranny (it still has a full stock BMW drivetrain) or a rear drag setup. Its got the wheel/tire just like Powell's car. The only real difference is that the cars you stated have a stock motor with bolt ons, as opposed to Mikes having a built motor and bolt ons. I definitely consider my car a street BMW, if i were to use Mike's drag wheel/tire setup it would be essentially the same.

Old 07-04-2010, 11:31 AM
germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Christian
These cars are apples/oranges. Why even bother trying to compare

I agree, you can't compare drag cars or semi drag cars to street driven stock block 996 TT's. I could put a TT 632 Shapiroff big block in my car and run 6's with a dedicated drag setup but you can't call that representative of Corvette's and their platform capabilities!

It's crazy really to think that even the E36 or E46 is an amazing platform for drag racing. The car came out in the 1992 MY to the US market and the fastest one on planet earth runs 9's? The 2011 Mustang 5.0 came out yesterday ( ok last month) and has already ran into the 9's on stock internals with bolt ons.

S54 to Metzger engine yes you can compare the engines, but the platforms really are two completely different animals. The 996 TT responds 5 times better to bolt on mods and is the only one that can make an easy 500-550 awhp with everything the way it left the factory except the tune.

Old 07-04-2010, 11:42 AM
Originally Posted by germeezy1
I agree, you can't compare drag cars or semi drag cars to street driven stock block 996 TT's. I could put a TT 632 Shapiroff big block in my car and run 6's with a dedicated drag setup but you can't call that representative of Corvette's and their platform capabilities!
Again i posted what a drag BMW is and what a street driven BMW is. Both those BMW's running 9's are street driven. Why is is Powell's car can run drag wheel/tires and is considered a street car when the BMW's are not?
Sure one has a stock block and the other is a built motor, that doesnt mean much to me. I rather have a built motor making big power and have a better piece of mind. This doesnt make the car less of a street car. My car has all the characteristics of the Mikes E36 but all i do is drive it on the street with no problems.

It's stupid really to think that even the E36 is an amazing platform for drag racing. The car came out in the 1992 MY to the US market and the fastest one on planet earth runs 9's? The 2011 Mustang 5.0 came out yesterday ( ok last month) and has already ran into the 9's on stock internals with bolt ons.
Thats the thing with BMW's, they really get serious after the car is out for awhile. That doesn't make it a worse or less power worthy car. The mustangs are just setup better for dragging.

S54 to Metzger engine yes you can compare the engines, but the platforms really are two completely different animals. The 996 TT responds 5 times better to bolt on mods and is the only one that can make an easy 500-550 awhp with everything the way it left the factory except the tune.
This is not true at all! The only truth in that is that both motors are very different. Were comparing a motor that comes with 2 turbos, to a motor that is N/A running high compression and high rpm. Imo the S54 does amazingly well considering those features.

I had a true bolt on supercharger kit making 500whp nearly 5 years ago on my S54. I squeezed nitrous making 563whp and upped the jets making 600whp at 1 point. 5 times better, come on now...

A bolt on turbo kit on the stock S54 makes 600whp, some have gone up to 720whp. Yes, the S54 needs to be built simply because of the high compression ration. You cannot pump big boost into a motor with that high of a compression ratio, im sure you know that. Two S54's have made around 1100whp with not much more then rods/piston changes to the motor. 5 times better? Really?

Last edited by SCM3; 07-04-2010 at 11:59 AM.
Old 07-04-2010, 12:06 PM
The 2011 Mustang 5.0 came out yesterday ( ok last month) and has already ran into the 9's on stock internals with bolt ons.
It did?!? I was just talking to my brother in law about this; I thought the record was 10.9 @ 124 for all-motor (with bolt-ons) and 10.8 @ 127 with nitrous?

Old 07-04-2010, 12:46 PM
Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !Powell Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Divexxtreme
It did?!? I was just talking to my brother in law about this; I thought the record was 10.9 @ 124 for all-motor (with bolt-ons) and 10.8 @ 127 with nitrous?
Nope my buddy Richard from Strictly Performance did it. His shop is like 2 minutes or less from my house. Known him for about 10 years now and he's always done good with the Mustangs.

Old 07-04-2010, 12:55 PM
Nice! Looks like he added some nitrous, swapped in a C4, some new control arms and the right tires = 656 rwhp and 9.9 @ 137.

http://www.mustangheaven.com/2010/st...5-0-in-the-9s/

Old 07-04-2010, 02:03 PM
germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !
What part of the 996 TT " Platform" responding 5 times better to mods did you not understand? Meaning not only producing the power but making the most of the power and making the power useable. The 996TT as an all around car is difficult to beat for its ability to make big power without any major tradeoffs.

Also keep in mind that the decision to not include built motor cars with stock block cars is not something that I personally made up. The fact remains the S54 will not make the power the Metzger engine will make on stock internals. The S54 has great VE, and very good head flow but it is not a racing motor detuned for street use.

Old 07-04-2010, 02:33 PM
What part of the 996 TT " Platform" responding 5 times better to mods did you not understand? Meaning not only producing the power but making the most of the power and making the power useable. The 996TT as an all around car is difficult to beat for its ability to make big power without any major tradeoffs.

Also keep in mind that the decision to not include built motor cars with stock block cars is not something that I personally made up. The fact remains the S54 will not make the power the Metzger engine will make on stock internals. The S54 has great VE, and very good head flow but it is not a racing motor detuned for street use.
Where did you come with 5 times better? You made that up clearly, it's just your opinion.

I guess winning an international best engine award 6 years in a row makes the S54 motor unworthy of rivaling Porsche.

You are still not understanding that the S54 motor is more then capable of making big power and it has in numerous cars. Why are we trying to compare what is good on a stock block? You should know its not safe to put lots of boost into a high compression motor. Lower compression in the S54 and leave the block alone it wil make as much power as the Metzger easy.

The only thing wrong with this platform is that traction is limited. Which takes trial and error to counter. New setups are being discovered as we speak.

Last edited by SCM3; 07-04-2010 at 02:47 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.

Quick Reply: BMW forum trash talking and Drag race vids...