996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Another USP E85 ethanol conversion on the dyno!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-02-2011, 06:24 AM
Banned
k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by TTdude
Check out Venkatreddy and twturbo. The injector size will determine if you can run both gas and E85.
Exactly...e85 requires 30% more fuel then pump gas. So opt for some big injectors...at least 1250cc or higher so you don't run out of duty cycle & combine that w/another pump as well...044 is recommended.

Old 09-02-2011, 10:39 AM
hrs1 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by vrybad
My thoughts on this and the original chart posted here.

I don't think there is any issue with the dyno on either setup, just that it appears your setup has been pushed a bit harder (more aggressive boost/timing) nearer to redline, or your turbos are simply more efficient (they are K24's).
Just a guess, though, since I don't know your tune particulars, but your chart looks more typical, with hp kind of climbing as rpms increase.

When I look at the original chart, I see torque peak at about 4600rpm, and peak hp occurring at about 5000rpm, when in a fully tuned setup, peak hp typically occurs nearer to redline.

This leads me to believe there is a bit more left in this setup at the big end, unless the turbos are running out of breath.

Torque spike has nothing to do with a flat HP curve.
That spike can be tuned in or out.

Personally, I always tune to increase torque as redline approaches, but that may not have been possible in this setup (or he is keeping the good stuff for later!)

I'm also guessing he tuned the car to limit torque around 4600 and keep that engine together.

If torque drops hard as rpm's increase, then the hp curve will tend to "flatten" out.
The car goes from 630 torque at 4600 to about 450 torque at 6500rpm, losing nearly 200 lbs in a 2000rpm span.

In a dyno run, the most "force" is being applied at the torque peak.
As rpms increase, "force" drops (not "speed" or "rpm") and the resultant hp curve drops as well.
That's why, if a car can be tuned to increase torque (force) as rpm increases, the result will be a climbing hp curve.

The car should still be a performer, but has a lot left on the table with a better turbocharger.
New turbos were the answer for max perfromance potential

Old 09-02-2011, 10:58 AM
hrs1 is infamous around these parts
ohh...and def get the e85 solution, I've never looked back after...well maybe only through rear view mirror

Attached Images   
Old 09-02-2011, 01:11 PM
KPG
KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !KPG Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by vr4henry
Thanks for the tip -- I'll try to dig up what I can on those cars. At least KPGs is a 996, but it's heavily modded so who knows what EVOMS has in there for a tune
I can switch between pump and ethanol with a switch in my centerconsole, although it is not a true flex fuel system like modern vehicles that can compensate for varying ratios of fuel. As far as the tune, it is no different than gas in that it is fuel,air,and spark.It does have an afr well under 10.0 for the ethanol but the fuel has so me very nice cooling properties. I was driving mine and Topguns 1600cc car in 110 deg AZ heat and the cars were boosting fully with no timing being pulled. My tunes on gas always felt "tired" in that type of heat ethanol is very consistent. I will never have another perf car that doesn't run on ethanol regardless of the ultimate power level.... good luck with the ethanol, you won't regret it

Old 09-02-2011, 04:26 PM
vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !vr4henry Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by KPG
I can switch between pump and ethanol with a switch in my centerconsole, although it is not a true flex fuel system like modern vehicles that can compensate for varying ratios of fuel. As far as the tune, it is no different than gas in that it is fuel,air,and spark.It does have an afr well under 10.0 for the ethanol but the fuel has so me very nice cooling properties. I was driving mine and Topguns 1600cc car in 110 deg AZ heat and the cars were boosting fully with no timing being pulled. My tunes on gas always felt "tired" in that type of heat ethanol is very consistent. I will never have another perf car that doesn't run on ethanol regardless of the ultimate power level.... good luck with the ethanol, you won't regret it
Thanks for explaining, KPG. I actually prefer the 'flip the switch' between 93 and E85 I think. Maybe a combo of the two would work out the best. I'll get in touch with some tuners and see who's got what!

-Henry