996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Is the Boxster faster on the track than 911's?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-01-2005, 09:44 AM
Banned for Eternity
teutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond repute
Is the Boxster faster on the track than 911's?

I have read a few times (yes, mostly by Boxster owners) that the Boxster is faster on the track, but I just can't see how it is true. Obviously the power is an issue, but Porsche could easily fix that if they thought the mid-engine layout was superior to the rear-engine of the 911. All the racing technologies, money, and effort go into developing the 911 for the track, not the Boxster. Any truth in that a Boxster is faster on the track than a 911 (GT3, GT2, C2, TT, whatever)? Perhaps just a short track or autocross?

Old 02-01-2005, 09:54 AM
Pioneer Member
Scott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond reputeScott in H-town has a reputation beyond repute
Definitely has to be a short track. Even then it's tough.
Auto-x, hard to say, but equal driver's it's possible.

Old 02-01-2005, 10:12 AM
Ken
Ken is a jewel in the roughKen is a jewel in the roughKen is a jewel in the roughKen is a jewel in the rough
a very very very short track - maybe a go-kart track...

Personally, it doesn't matter what is quickest. Racing times are all about money - no matter what you drive, some one is going to have more dollars/skill and will be quicker. People, if they are going to track their car, IMHO, should pick a car - any car - and focus on getting better each time they go to the track.

Otherwise, you want to be the fastest? Get a motorcycle - a big f*cking motorcycle.

Old 02-01-2005, 11:03 AM
Sloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud of
Speaking strictly on a platform basis... the mid engine would win out over the rear engine (other things being equal). Its primarily internal politics that keep the 911 at the top of the Porsche pecking order.

Old 02-01-2005, 11:12 AM
Banned for Eternity
teutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond reputeteutonictrio has a reputation beyond repute
Sloth - I wondered about that as well, primarily consideirng the CGT is mid-engine. Obviously they feel that type has some merit or they would have made CGT rear engine too, other than the fact that it is almost impossible to do it with an engine that big...

If end result performance is primary, why don't they come up with a mid-engine coupe (like the one rumored) that sells alongside the 911, similar price, similar performance, just more choices? I want the GT3, but wonder if keeping the Boxster for a few more years would be a better idea as I wait to become a better driver. I will be doing PDE this spring, and plan on track days in April, July, and September as well. The Boxster S is probably a better car than I am a driver as it is, but I'm still lured by the sound and performance of the GT3, even if I can't possibly fulfill its potential. I imagine it is so much harder to drive on a track well than the Boxster, which even without PSM is very forgiving. Wish there was a stock P-car with the handling of the Boxster and the power and feel of the GT3, for the price of one of either, not 2 of both (CGT)

Old 02-01-2005, 11:14 AM
Banned
Benjamin Choi is infamous around these parts
I'd say it's more than just internal politics. I think it's all of us who want the 911 > Boxster.

Boxster is definitely a more capable performer at the aut0-x.

And I'd argue that the new Boxster S is dynamically superior to the 997S. All it needs is a bit more juice. Mid-engine layout and the chassis is even more amazing this time around.

I actually like the new front-end of the Boxster better than the 997. Less VW bug, more CGT!

Old 02-01-2005, 11:17 AM
Don Relentless is infamous around these parts
no way jose. the boxter is too under powered to be in the race. i can not talk from experience as i have never tracked a boxster, but from driving one on the streets i would say NO. as for the handling it seems very similar on streets but trail braking at 120 plus mph is a whole nother story especially full throttle out of the apex.

Last edited by Don Relentless; 02-01-2005 at 11:21 AM.
Old 02-01-2005, 11:21 AM
Banned for Eternity
Eric,

No question it is underpowered, unless you are talking about a short track. I drove mine on the Streets of Willow Springs (short track) and there is only one straightaway, and it's not terribly long, but that is the only time I wished I had more power. On a big track, I can really see how the Boxster will get eaten up, but on a short one with lots of turns, they are quite amazing how they zip through the turns.

Benjamin - if it's also because of those who want a 911 over a Boxster, why don't they just offer one that has comparable power to the 911 and see how many prefer the Boxster to the 911? Oh well...

Old 02-01-2005, 11:22 AM
02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally posted by Benjamin Choi

I actually like the new front-end of the Boxster better than the 997. Less VW bug, more CGT!

i agree with you the 997 front looks better a porsche sales guy that i know also agrees with me. i think they should have put the boxster front on the 997 ...

Old 02-01-2005, 11:23 AM
02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally posted by Don Relentless
no way jose. the boxter is too under powered to be in the race. i can not talk from experience as i have never tracked a boxster, but from driving one on the streets i would say NO. as for the handling it seems very similar on streets but trail braking at 120 plus mph is a whole nother story especially full throttle out of the apex.

dude your back.. how was the UK? hey ill tyr to pick up the wing this week.. r u gonna be at lucent this week? maybe i can meet u there to pick up the wing?

Old 02-01-2005, 11:23 AM
i say drop a 3.6 engine with a blower, tweak out the suspension, and gut the car out and you might have one bad *** baby.

Old 02-01-2005, 11:25 AM
joe i do not go to lucent that often as they service people like yellowbmr. j/k just call me

Old 02-01-2005, 11:37 AM
Sloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud ofSloth has much to be proud of
The performance of the 911 is really a feat of engineering over design. I would love to see Porsche go racing with a mid engine Boxster based coupe using the GT3 engine, tranny, and suspension. IMHO, I think PAG is heading that direction as demonstrated with the CGT.

Old 02-01-2005, 11:46 AM
Dock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really niceDock (Atlanta) is just really nice
Originally posted by Sloth
Speaking strictly on a platform basis... the mid engine would win out over the rear engine (other things being equal).
The static weight distribution of the 911 turns into a dynamic weight distribution that is a huge advantage when accelerating or braking.

Under acceleration, the 911's dynamic weight distribution puts over 2600 lbs over the rear wheels.

Under braking the ideal dynamic weight distribution would be 50/50 to allow all four tires to work equally. At 1.0g deceleration the 911's ~40/60 static weight distribution translates to a dynamic distribution that is closer to this ideal than a car that is ~ 50/50.

Yes, the polar moment of inertia is larger in the 911, which impacts left-right transitions versus a 50/50'ish mid-engined car, but it isn't huge.

Lots of people think the real advantage of a mid-engine design is the weight distribution, but it's really the polar moment of inertia that's somewhat of an advantage (it's a disadvantage though as far as spin recovery goes). Here are the static weight distributions for some great handling/performing mid-engined cars...

*CGT - 40/60
*Enzo - 41/59
*Ford GT - 43/57

Last edited by Dock (Atlanta); 02-01-2005 at 11:49 AM.
Old 02-01-2005, 12:03 PM
Banned for Eternity
So the mid-engine cars such as those listed have a similar weight distribution as the rear-engine 911? That's quite interesting. Is the weight distribution of the GT3 different/superior to that of the turbo or C2?

I can really see how the rear engine is incredible under acceleration - it's so obvious, but I never thought of it. The trick is saving the turns as needed - once you get out of the turn, the rear-engine is the way to go as it buckles you down for the acceleration. All this said, apparently a 40/60 car has more advantages on the track than a 50/50 car, with the one exception of pulling out of a spin?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Is the Boxster faster on the track than 911's?