996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Any experience w/ Forgestar wheels, or modbargins.com..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 10:42 AM
drhenrock is a splendid one to beholddrhenrock is a splendid one to beholddrhenrock is a splendid one to beholddrhenrock is a splendid one to beholddrhenrock is a splendid one to beholddrhenrock is a splendid one to beholddrhenrock is a splendid one to beholddrhenrock is a splendid one to behold
Any experience w/ Forgestar wheels, or modbargins.com..

They say form casting is stronger and lighter but cheaper...alot!

Old 07-06-2010, 12:32 PM
seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !seth_horwitz Is a GOD !
Modbargains has been around the BMW world for a while. I have no particular experience with them, but I can say that they are not on the list of stores to avoid. (There are a bunch of those in Bimmer land.) I used to go to E46fanatics.com quite a bit, and I'm sure you can get some good feedback there. I can't state anything about the strength of flow forming wheels. I'm curious as to that myself, and the net doesn't seem to have a ton of info. If those things are stronger than my stock hollow spokes, I may need to place an order.

Old 07-06-2010, 12:33 PM
Szpet has much to be proud ofSzpet has much to be proud ofSzpet has much to be proud ofSzpet has much to be proud ofSzpet has much to be proud ofSzpet has much to be proud ofSzpet has much to be proud ofSzpet has much to be proud ofSzpet has much to be proud ofSzpet has much to be proud of
They are great looking wheels and very light. Recived mine two weeks ago but there was a problem with one of the wheels. I´m sure Modbargains will resolve this problem but it takes long time. It took 5 months to get the wheels but they did inform me that it would take a while to get them. I think that´s ok since I custom ordered the offsets.

Now just waiting for one new wheel that hopefully will get ready faster. I assume it only was bad luck that one wheel was wrong.

Old 07-06-2010, 12:51 PM
tvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud of
I have had good luck with Modbargains, in a number of purchases for my BMW's over the last few years. Forgestars get good reviews on the BMW sites.

Tom

Old 07-06-2010, 06:06 PM
Former Vendor
ModBargains is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Szpet
They are great looking wheels and very light. Recived mine two weeks ago but there was a problem with one of the wheels. I´m sure Modbargains will resolve this problem but it takes long time. It took 5 months to get the wheels but they did inform me that it would take a while to get them. I think that´s ok since I custom ordered the offsets.

Now just waiting for one new wheel that hopefully will get ready faster. I assume it only was bad luck that one wheel was wrong.
First, thank you all for your positive feedback and understanding. Secondly Szpet, thank you for patience. I've done everything in my power to make sure the situation is made right for you!

Lastly, Tirerack.com does a great job categorizing the classes of how wheels are made from Gravity Cast, to Flow-Formed, and Multipiece Fully Forged Wheels. At ModBargains we've offer one of each type of wheel!

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/tech/....jsp?techid=90

We hope that coming to 6speedonline we can provide you guys with the products that you need at the prices that are best for you! I hope that our solid repuatation on other Forums will give you an idea of how we do business!

In regards to Forgestar, our leadtimes are greatly shortened now and we will be stocking plenty of wheels that are ready to ship. We will still provide you very specific customers the ability to custom make your offsets as well!

Let me know if you guys have any other questions.

Kevin@ModBargains.com
714-582-3330 ext 8009

Old 07-06-2010, 06:07 PM
Former Vendor
ModBargains.com has a brilliant futureModBargains.com has a brilliant futureModBargains.com has a brilliant futureModBargains.com has a brilliant futureModBargains.com has a brilliant futureModBargains.com has a brilliant futureModBargains.com has a brilliant futureModBargains.com has a brilliant futureModBargains.com has a brilliant futureModBargains.com has a brilliant futureModBargains.com has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by drhenrock
I know we've been going back and forth in PMS so I'll go ahead and provide a bit more information in regards to the Flow

Forgestar's flowforming process is a unique solution to a common problem – how to make a wheel both light and strong.

This specialized process begins with a low pressure type of casting and uses a special machine that spins the initial casting, heats the outer portion of the casting and then uses steel rollers pressed against the rim area to pull the rim to its final width and shape. The combination of the heat, pressure and spinning create a rim area with the strength similar to a forged wheel. During Flow Forming, the pressure applied to the cast rim actually changes its mechanical properties, so its strength and impact values become similar to those of a forged rim. That translates to up to 15% less weight when compared to a standard cast wheel. The resulting grain structure within the alloy of the wheel is linear, flowing in a single direction.

This grain structure pattern, combined with the exceptional quality of casting required for the process, gives the rim area of the wheel huge mechanical strength, and elongation. As a result of these mechanical characteristics, Forgestar is able to reduce the thickness of the rim area resulting in reduced weight, without compromising strength and resistance to impact.

So in a nutshell, the process makes the wheels:
  • Almost as strong as forged wheels
  • Lighter than cast wheels
  • Customizable to a range of offsets and bolt patterns
  • A great value for the price
Originally Posted by seth_horwitz
Modbargains has been around the BMW world for a while. I have no particular experience with them, but I can say that they are not on the list of stores to avoid. (There are a bunch of those in Bimmer land.) I used to go to E46fanatics.com quite a bit, and I'm sure you can get some good feedback there. I can't state anything about the strength of flow forming wheels. I'm curious as to that myself, and the net doesn't seem to have a ton of info. If those things are stronger than my stock hollow spokes, I may need to place an order.
We've been around for over 5 years now and have been serving over 12 Enthusiast forums such as 6speedonline.com and I'm glad to hear that you guys have heard great things about our company! The wheels may be stronger than your stock OEM wheels. I'll shoot you over a PM with more details shortly!

We will get this issue taken care of. I've spoken with my customer service department and Brian is well aware of this situation. You should be contacted by one of our customer service staff members shortly in regards to an update on this situation. Yes, your wheel was custom ordered and there is a bit of a lead time to produce to wheels. However, I want to let you know that Forgestar has more recently purchased over 2000 barrels and has purchased additional CNC machines to cater to the high demand for the wheels. With that in mind, you should expect a set of wheels to be completed in a 4-6 week lead time for 2010!

Originally Posted by tvurt
I have had good luck with Modbargains, in a number of purchases for my BMW's over the last few years. Forgestars get good reviews on the BMW sites.

Tom
I'm glad to hear that you've had an overall good experience with ModBargains.com in the past and hopefully more to come!

Feel free to shoot me over a PM with any questions you guys may have and I'll be more than happy to help you guys out!

- Alan

Last edited by ModBargains.com; 07-06-2010 at 08:10 PM.
Old 07-06-2010, 06:29 PM
Nikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant futureNikolas has a brilliant future
They have an excellent reputation on E90 post. I wouldn't hesitate doing business with them. I will probably be getting the same wheels in the future.

Old 07-06-2010, 06:30 PM
badloser is infamous around these parts
The Forgestar F14 is one sweet wheel....

Old 07-07-2010, 10:08 AM
Former Vendor
ModBargains.com has a brilliant futureModBargains.com has a brilliant futureModBargains.com has a brilliant futureModBargains.com has a brilliant futureModBargains.com has a brilliant futureModBargains.com has a brilliant futureModBargains.com has a brilliant futureModBargains.com has a brilliant futureModBargains.com has a brilliant futureModBargains.com has a brilliant futureModBargains.com has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by drhenrock
Thanks for your order Scott on the Forgestar F14 in Brushed Titanium 18x8.5 and 18x11 for your Porsche 996 TT !

Originally Posted by Nikolas
They have an excellent reputation on E90 post. I wouldn't hesitate doing business with them. I will probably be getting the same wheels in the future.
Definitely great to hear about our reputation on other forums especially E90post as that's where I spend most of my time on! I'll shoot you over a PM with some more information on the Forgestar F14 for your reference in the future.

Originally Posted by badloser
The Forgestar F14 is one sweet wheel....
The Forgestar F14 is definitely a great wheel choice for those who are looking for a lightweight flow formed wheel! You've got a pm coming your way.

Old 07-07-2010, 11:07 AM
ExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond reputeExclusiveTT has a reputation beyond repute
I have personally had pretty negative experiences with modbargains, although, most people say the opposite.

Old 07-07-2010, 03:09 PM
Former Vendor
ModBargains II is a splendid one to beholdModBargains II is a splendid one to beholdModBargains II is a splendid one to beholdModBargains II is a splendid one to beholdModBargains II is a splendid one to beholdModBargains II is a splendid one to beholdModBargains II is a splendid one to beholdModBargains II is a splendid one to behold

The whole truth to that is this.....

When Forgestar came on to the market, there were no other wheels like it! Where else can you get a flow formed wheel that's custom made to your vehicle's fitment for under $1500 for 19s? As you can imagine, the demand went through the roof!

ModBargains is partly to blame though. We marketed it to the masses in the BMW market and now we're here to offer it to the Porschephiles since some of our customers graduated from BMW to Porsche - and they asked us to come on board!

In response to get the lead times down, Forgestar has invested in new CNC machines and now they have 2,000 barrels in stock and ready to start production! This mean that after you place your order, you're looking at 4 to 6 weeks for delivery on a set of custom flow formed wheels in perfect fitments!

We're excited about these wheels because simply there's nothing like it at this price point and that looks as good!

Originally Posted by ExclusiveTT
I have personally had pretty negative experiences with modbargains, although, most people say the opposite.

That's not something we like to hear.

If you give us the chance to earn your business, we'd love to get a chance to help you out even with your Porsche modifications. Please PM me your previous situation with us and I'll do my best to see if there's something we can do for you!

Old 07-19-2010, 11:35 AM
Szpet has much to be proud ofSzpet has much to be proud ofSzpet has much to be proud ofSzpet has much to be proud ofSzpet has much to be proud ofSzpet has much to be proud ofSzpet has much to be proud ofSzpet has much to be proud ofSzpet has much to be proud ofSzpet has much to be proud of

Well doesn´t look to good. I´m sure Modbargains is ok but if something goes wrong then they are not ok. My Forgestar wheels has already costed me more than a set of OZ or similar wheels locally and the solution Modbargains offers me is to order a new wheel and pay for it. Be careful, specially if you live outside US.

Last edited by Szpet; 07-19-2010 at 11:42 AM.
Old 07-19-2010, 12:06 PM
NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !NOLA911 Is a GOD !
Well doesn´t look to good. I´m sure Modbargains is ok but if something goes wrong then they are not ok. My Forgestar wheels has already costed me more than a set of OZ or similar wheels locally and the solution Modbargains offers me is to order a new wheel and pay for it. Be careful, specially if you live outside US.
Szpet, try talking to forgestar directly. If you google "forgestar problems" one of the first threads out there was from a pontiac forum where the owners with problems got no resolution from vendor but did from forgestar. Ill pm you the link

Old 07-19-2010, 07:47 PM
PorscheSocieta is infamous around these parts
i guess the custom offset is what might have done u in. seems like a normal set is fairly simple to get right?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/19-Fo...ht_5524wt_1165