996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

GT2 Clutch mod without replacing clutch

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 10:55 PM
Mad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant futureMad Ness has a brilliant future
Not sure you can get to the slave with out dropping the transmission as it's ontop. Think this is one of the reasons most people upgrade the clutch at the same time. If you're up to it, might be good time to renew the stock clutch.

The mod is not that hard. Just make sure the orig hoses don't have any pentosin left in them. Just a bit will ruin the slaves.

Old 07-07-2010, 03:46 AM
NathanialHale is infamous around these parts
I did the conversion and love it. The main factor is flushing all the old pentosin out of the system when you're done with the conversion. Also, I have no idea how you'd do this without removing the transmission. And if you're going to remove the transmission, you might as well do the clutch, just incase... and the LWFW, and...

Clutch feel is precise and I know exactly where clutch engagement is now. Pedal pressure is a little bit higher, but nothing like the King Cobra Clutch kit in my 95 SVO package Mustang. THAT was a leg killer.

NH

Old 07-07-2010, 05:36 AM
tbarcelo is a glorious beacon of lighttbarcelo is a glorious beacon of lighttbarcelo is a glorious beacon of lighttbarcelo is a glorious beacon of lighttbarcelo is a glorious beacon of light
Interesting - I'd love to hear from others because I thought you could do the mod without pulling the transmission.

Old 07-07-2010, 06:36 AM
tvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud of
Mine was done without dropping the transmission. It was to tight for me to do on jack stands, but I tried. Took it to my indi, and they did it without a problem.

Tom

Old 07-07-2010, 08:04 AM
NathanialHale is infamous around these parts
Really? Did they just unbolt the bellhousing and slide the trans back to clear the clutchfork? I'd really like to know how it was done. I contempated doing it myself but was told the trans would have to be removed...

Oh, and I replaced 3 accumilators and two slaves before finally doing the mod, and after spending all that time fighting with a crappy clutch pedal I still kick myself for not doing this mod FIRST!!!
NH

Old 07-07-2010, 08:10 AM
tvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud oftvurt has much to be proud of
They just removed the OEM slave and accumulator, put the GT2 unit in, and cut & capped the old line.

mikelly has a nice DIY on the slave and accumulator, somewhere.

Old 07-07-2010, 08:31 AM
2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by NathanialHale
Really? Did they just unbolt the bellhousing and slide the trans back to clear the clutchfork? I'd really like to know how it was done. I contempated doing it myself but was told the trans would have to be removed...

Oh, and I replaced 3 accumilators and two slaves before finally doing the mod, and after spending all that time fighting with a crappy clutch pedal I still kick myself for not doing this mod FIRST!!!
NH
I just looked into one as well, John from Speedtech just sent me a bunch of info that seems straight forward, check him out. There was nothing about removing the tranny? EVO kit seemed straight forward, good diagram instructions.

Last edited by 2muchtime; 07-07-2010 at 08:43 AM.
Old 07-07-2010, 09:05 AM
pumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond reputepumalex has a reputation beyond repute
i don't see how dropping the transmission would help since the transmission need to be in place to install the slave cylinder...

I don't know what gain you get from removing the transmission other than having some more space to cap the line from the power steering...

Old 07-07-2010, 09:18 AM
rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by John@SpeedTech
Exactly. This mod makes the clutch pedal very intuitive to use. It becomes an extension of your leg. Any movement/input of the pedal is directly transfereed to the clucth in a manner that you can "feel" it happening. I did this mod years ago before it was commercially available and love it. We now sell the EVO kits. If anyone is interested in pricing on an EVO conversion kit, please contact me.

John how much power will this kit hold ?? like saying 750whp or so???

Thanks

Rolando

Old 07-07-2010, 09:20 AM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by rdss
John how much power will this kit hold ?? like saying 750whp or so???

Thanks

Rolando
There is no power limitation on this kit, it is not a "clutch kit" per say. It is a kit to make clutch ACTUATION better. This kit will work with stock power or 2000hp.

Old 07-07-2010, 09:41 AM
rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ttboost
There is no power limitation on this kit, it is not a "clutch kit" per say. It is a kit to make clutch ACTUATION better. This kit will work with stock power or 2000hp.
Thank you ttboost ,so for 750whp you need a better clutch

Old 07-07-2010, 10:53 AM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by rdss
Thank you ttboost ,so for 750whp you need a better clutch
If you have 750hp and your clutch is slipping...then yes. . Most aftermarket clutches can usually hold up to that power level.

Old 07-07-2010, 11:51 AM
Originally Posted by ttboost
If you have 750hp and your clutch is slipping...then yes. . Most aftermarket clutches can usually hold up to that power level.
I'll take that on acount

Old 07-07-2010, 11:58 AM
Basic Sponsor
Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !
What is the cost of doing the GT2 slave conversion. My accumulator is def going since the pedal is very stiff when the car is off.

997TT SlowBerry - 205.0 mph 1/2 Mile WR Nov 2018, 9.7 @ 170 mph 1/4 Mile , 3.2 60-130 mph , 2.4 100-150 mph , 1420whp E85
ESMOTOR | DO88 | TPC DSC | SYVECS | COBB | IPD | KLINE | XONA | AMS | ID | ERP | SACHS | TURBOSMART | CSF | DODSON |
Old 07-07-2010, 12:00 PM
tbarcelo is a glorious beacon of lighttbarcelo is a glorious beacon of lighttbarcelo is a glorious beacon of lighttbarcelo is a glorious beacon of lighttbarcelo is a glorious beacon of light
Someone can correct me here, but my understanding is that it is about $350 in parts plus a magic bracket (whose cost I can't recall) plus install.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GT2 Clutch mod without replacing clutch