996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

What drill best for Stock Exhaust Mod?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 08:13 PM
smithk3933 has a spectacular aura aboutsmithk3933 has a spectacular aura about
What drill best for Stock Exhaust Mod?

I'm thinking of giving the STock Exhaust Modification a try while still pondering what performance exhaust to purchase.

Is the hole saw shown the best bet? Should I go with the full 2" or maybe a bit smaller since the pipe is curved. Trying to figure how the heck to get it started on a rounded pipe? Seems like it would be darn near impossible to get it started. Any suggestions for making this go smoothly.

ALso it seems like someone said to drill towards the outside/inside to get more room and not drill through the back wall, but can't recall.

Thanks.

Attached Images  
Old 07-07-2010, 03:51 AM
Frank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by smithk3933
I'm thinking of giving the STock Exhaust Modification a try while still pondering what performance exhaust to purchase.

Is the hole saw shown the best bet? Should I go with the full 2" or maybe a bit smaller since the pipe is curved. Trying to figure how the heck to get it started on a rounded pipe? Seems like it would be darn near impossible to get it started. Any suggestions for making this go smoothly.

ALso it seems like someone said to drill towards the outside/inside to get more room and not drill through the back wall, but can't recall.

Thanks.
There was a very long thread back in early May about this mod. A lot of testing and dyno data.
If I find it I will post the link.
It was good reading !!
Frank

Old 07-07-2010, 03:58 AM
Frank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond repute
Here we go..found it.
Have a good read: https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ler-996tt.html

Frank

Old 07-07-2010, 10:52 AM
XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !
I wouldn't use that bit. I bought one and returned it. Used a die grinder with 2 long carbide bits to make my ~2" holes. When you do get a aftermarket exhuast I'd purchase SpeedTech cross-flow (76mm) or Markski's system.

Old 07-07-2010, 11:14 AM
g8rdmd is a splendid one to beholdg8rdmd is a splendid one to beholdg8rdmd is a splendid one to beholdg8rdmd is a splendid one to beholdg8rdmd is a splendid one to beholdg8rdmd is a splendid one to beholdg8rdmd is a splendid one to behold
I ended up using an Irwin Unibit which I got at Lowes. I put it on an extender to get it into proper position--it did a really nice job If you want to go bigger than the bit, start a second hole near the first and just join the two.

Old 07-07-2010, 07:28 PM
When using the carbide bits, did you drill a pilot hole and then enlarge witht the carbide burrs? What size carbide burrs did you use. Was this air or electric?

Thanks.

Keith

Old 07-07-2010, 08:02 PM
Luna is infamous around these parts
I used 2 13bucks bits from Lowes and a good wired drill. It took me 20 minutes to get it done.
Had to fish out one of the cutouts that fell inside the muffler tho...

Old 07-07-2010, 08:20 PM
Luna,

What type drill bits did you use?

Sorry for all the questions, it just seems like it's gonna be tough to get the holes done on the curved stainless pipe...

Old 07-07-2010, 10:40 PM
XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !
When using the carbide bits, did you drill a pilot hole and then enlarge witht the carbide burrs? What size carbide burrs did you use. Was this air or electric?

Thanks.

Keith
Air. started a pilot hole with one of the bits. There were "oval" bits. 1 more aggesssive than other.

Old 07-08-2010, 12:48 AM

Thanks.

Keith
Did you not read the link I posted to you. Because if you can find anymore questions to ask after reading that I seriously doubt you are capable of doing the job
Look, even I could do it. Read it, god it even tells you the size of Bur to use...............
Frank

Old 07-08-2010, 06:39 AM
alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !alex55 Is a GOD !

Thanks.
maybe is easy to buy one from Ken (PBK exhaust)...

Old 07-09-2010, 09:52 AM
Luna is infamous around these parts
Luna,

What type drill bits did you use?

Sorry for all the questions, it just seems like it's gonna be tough to get the holes done on the curved stainless pipe...
http://www.toolsdirect.com/lenox-300...ELAID=79588975