996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Shipping car from Cincinnati to San Francisco, any suggestions?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 08:21 PM
muker is a jewel in the roughmuker is a jewel in the roughmuker is a jewel in the roughmuker is a jewel in the rough
Shipping car from Cincinnati to San Francisco, any suggestions?

It will be done through my company's relocation contacts so I don't think I will get to pick the shipper but would appreciate any thoughts on what to do (e.g., take pictures of the car, almost empty tank of gas? disconnect battery?) I have never shipped a car so don't know if there is anything in particular I should do.

Last edited by bbywu; 07-06-2010 at 08:21 PM. Reason: no items for sale in this section - post on the marketplace
Old 07-06-2010, 08:25 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Old 07-06-2010, 09:00 PM
S-351 Is a GOD !S-351 Is a GOD !S-351 Is a GOD !S-351 Is a GOD !S-351 Is a GOD !S-351 Is a GOD !S-351 Is a GOD !S-351 Is a GOD !S-351 Is a GOD !S-351 Is a GOD !S-351 Is a GOD !
P.M. Kevin (KPG).... He is a member here and does a outstanding job and has fair pricing.

Old 07-06-2010, 09:39 PM
911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute
Steve at Intercity is great. They are a board sponsor.

http://www.intercitylines.com/

I shipped my car from RI to the bay area, covered transport. Bought it sight unseen. I didn't take pictures or anything but it was shipped from a Porsche dealer which had experience.

Good Luck, the two weeks I had to wait was terrible - haha.

Old 07-06-2010, 10:23 PM
Saint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud ofSaint Ari has much to be proud of
+1 on Kevin (KPG)

Old 07-07-2010, 12:44 AM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
Pictures a good idea, but the written 'walk around' document the shipper does when they pick it up will be the binding document.

Unfortunately your company's relocation service will go with the cheapest broker and you probably will have no say. They can transfer the cars from truck to truck, and other horror stories.... I'd insist on selecting a carrier. I used Bill DeMoise, who runs a tight ship- you get the driver's phone number and they do an outstanding job- no detail too small.

GL

A

Old 07-07-2010, 06:20 AM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
I used DeMoise to ship from California to Maryland. Very happy. I wouldn't let just anyone ship these cars. Ask for a monetary allowance and pick a known reputable shipper even if you have to pay a little out of pocket.

Last edited by landjet; 07-07-2010 at 10:17 AM.
Old 07-07-2010, 09:34 AM
muker is a jewel in the roughmuker is a jewel in the roughmuker is a jewel in the roughmuker is a jewel in the rough
Thanks for the suggestions - I hope to get some flexibility on the carrier selection but unfortunately, as ard says, most likely my company will just decide for me. If I end up having a choice I will definitely go with one of the carriers you list here!

Old 07-07-2010, 09:46 AM
D_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant futureD_Nyholm has a brilliant future
I used Horseless Carraige to ship from AZ to NY and it took just under 1 week. They had good communication and thier price was reasonable as well. It was a fully enclosed carrier too.

Old 07-07-2010, 10:32 AM
pinoy911tt is a splendid one to beholdpinoy911tt is a splendid one to beholdpinoy911tt is a splendid one to beholdpinoy911tt is a splendid one to beholdpinoy911tt is a splendid one to beholdpinoy911tt is a splendid one to behold
where in san francisco are you moving to?

Old 07-07-2010, 11:06 AM
I will probably end up living in Piedmont (good public schools). I have a friend that lives in the city and scared the hell out of me when he told me he paid $25K for her daughter's private school (kindergarden).

Old 07-07-2010, 12:22 PM
pinoy911tt is a splendid one to beholdpinoy911tt is a splendid one to beholdpinoy911tt is a splendid one to beholdpinoy911tt is a splendid one to beholdpinoy911tt is a splendid one to beholdpinoy911tt is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by muker
I will probably end up living in Piedmont (good public schools). I have a friend that lives in the city and scared the hell out of me when he told me he paid $25K for her daughter's private school (kindergarden).

Old 07-07-2010, 06:14 PM
Mgib is a splendid one to beholdMgib is a splendid one to beholdMgib is a splendid one to beholdMgib is a splendid one to beholdMgib is a splendid one to beholdMgib is a splendid one to beholdMgib is a splendid one to behold
Do a search as one of the sponsors shipped a car to Europe and he documented what he needed to do. Remember to fold in the mirrors. Document everything during the walkaround!

Old 07-07-2010, 06:22 PM
anothervr6kid is infamous around these parts
Have a 1/4 tank or less of fuel. Some shippers might not pick it up if there is a full tank, it adds weight to their trailer.
Take pictures of it even though if you read their fine print they are not responsible for anything.
Don't leave anything of value in the car.
Don't disconnect the battery, they might have to move it plus take it on and off the truck, you don't need them to start opening everything just to connect the battery back.

Old 07-07-2010, 07:18 PM
indyvegman is just really niceindyvegman is just really niceindyvegman is just really niceindyvegman is just really niceindyvegman is just really nice
I think the " get a allowance" from the company and you pick the carrier is some good advice.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Shipping car from Cincinnati to San Francisco, any suggestions?