996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Torn dust boots--how big of a deal?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 07:11 AM
g8rdmd is a splendid one to beholdg8rdmd is a splendid one to beholdg8rdmd is a splendid one to beholdg8rdmd is a splendid one to beholdg8rdmd is a splendid one to beholdg8rdmd is a splendid one to beholdg8rdmd is a splendid one to behold
Torn dust boots--how big of a deal?

Just had my turbo in for some minor upkeep work and the mechanic showed me that the dust boots on my front axles are torn . How big of a deal is it really--is it something I should RUSH to replace, or can it wait a little while? I was quoted between $250-$300 per boot for the job... Unfortunately, I think it's beyond my DIY capacities at this point--I'm still a little n00bish and don't really want to mess with axles (unless you say it's relatively easy...)

Thanks all

Old 07-07-2010, 07:55 AM
IAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond reputeIAPorscheDoc has a reputation beyond repute
Get it done asap. If you get crap in the joints, it will ruin them, and then you are looking at buying new axles

Old 07-07-2010, 08:29 AM
DERBOOST is a glorious beacon of lightDERBOOST is a glorious beacon of lightDERBOOST is a glorious beacon of lightDERBOOST is a glorious beacon of lightDERBOOST is a glorious beacon of light
And you don't want to buy new axles.

Old 07-07-2010, 08:31 AM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
Fix it now.

Old 07-07-2010, 08:35 AM
atr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud ofatr911 has much to be proud of
For most vehicles it wouldn't be a huge issue because normally you'd just replace the axle and be done with it. Aftermarket rebuilt axles usually are decently prices and have lifetime warranties.

For a premium automobile, it makes more sense to repair the boot asap before the grease is all gone and and the joint gets damaged. The grease will be very messy aswell.

The price quoted sounds very reasonable to remove and reinstall the pair of boots as they are pressed on and not fun to remove.

Old 07-07-2010, 08:37 AM
mgf997 is a name known to allmgf997 is a name known to allmgf997 is a name known to allmgf997 is a name known to allmgf997 is a name known to allmgf997 is a name known to all
Price sounds very fair.

Old 07-07-2010, 08:42 AM
g8rdmd is a splendid one to beholdg8rdmd is a splendid one to beholdg8rdmd is a splendid one to beholdg8rdmd is a splendid one to beholdg8rdmd is a splendid one to beholdg8rdmd is a splendid one to beholdg8rdmd is a splendid one to behold
OK guys, I was thinking I'd better get it done--now I know. Thanks!

Old 07-07-2010, 09:07 AM
2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by g8rdmd
Thanks all
2002 996TT MN6
Blackon Natural Brown

haven't seen this color combe before? what type of trim, cf ? and interior pics?

Old 07-07-2010, 09:20 AM
Originally Posted by 2muchtime
2002 996TT MN6
Blackon Natural Brown

haven't seen this color combe before? what type of trim, cf ? and interior pics?
Here's a quick one I have in my photobucket account--I can dig up more later

Old 07-07-2010, 09:23 AM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
OK guys, I was thinking I'd better get it done--now I know. Thanks!
Florida? AWD? Take the front axles out, then take the front diff out and go drive your car...you'll be happier. I took mine out to fix them over a year ago and I am still RWD

Old 07-07-2010, 09:58 AM
2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute2muchtime has a reputation beyond repute
Here's a quick one I have in my photobucket account--I can dig up more later
Nice, thanks for the pics, doesn't seem as dark as mine? maybe because of the black exterior?

Old 07-07-2010, 10:06 AM
Originally Posted by ttboost
Florida? AWD? Take the front axles out, then take the front diff out and go drive your car...you'll be happier. I took mine out to fix them over a year ago and I am still RWD
how do you control rear wheel spin? I have 1st, 2nd and a little 3rd gear all wheel squirm when I jump on it?

Old 07-07-2010, 10:38 AM
XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !
My driver side outer boot has a slight crack in it too. I may replace both while in there. Must be a common issue like the spolier, coolant tank and accumulator.

Old 07-07-2010, 10:52 AM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
how do you control rear wheel spin? I have 1st, 2nd and a little 3rd gear all wheel squirm when I jump on it?

I have the same problem. I control mine with the pedal all the way to the right...the skinny tall one...

Old 07-07-2010, 11:13 AM
DERBOOST is a glorious beacon of lightDERBOOST is a glorious beacon of lightDERBOOST is a glorious beacon of lightDERBOOST is a glorious beacon of lightDERBOOST is a glorious beacon of light
you need to add a posi in the rear if you r gunna do it, and be sure thats what you want as you have to cut up your front axles to get the sensor gear for the abs ect. So ur hacking up a 1500.00 pair of axles, also you really should do the gt2 uprights as well.And a larger rear swaybar, not to mention a gt2 ecm or try to get the tt ecm to not have the psm come in so soon. All told to do it right its a considerable expence. Yeah you can hack the axles and not do anything else, now you have a car that does not handle as well as what you had, yeah it seems faster because its scarry to drive at the limit,and may in fact be better for drag racing stuff. but IMHO a well sorted 4wd tt is a better car than a non posi no front axle deal. But If you do all the mods correctly (like a gt2) it works really well.

And yes ive driven all 3 types on a track, gt2,996tt4wd, no posi 996tt 2wd

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Torn dust boots--how big of a deal?