996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Custom ECU Flash Erase???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 08:55 AM
bsprad is infamous around these parts
Custom ECU Flash Erase???

I took my 996tt to the delaership last week to have an additional key programmed to work with the car. I'm concerned that they erased my custom flash. The turbo doesn't seem to pull quite as much as it did before. The car is relatively new to me so I'm not entirely sure.

I'm reading up to 1.3bar at the upper range of the rpm. Does that sound stock or modified? I've never driven a stock so I'm not sure.

Old 07-07-2010, 09:03 AM
Banned
porka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant future
0.6 is stock parameters so the tune is still there, i too was curios of my car had a tune but its been pushing 1.0 bar here and there so its got to have a tune.

Old 07-07-2010, 09:07 AM
Frank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by bsprad
I took my 996tt to the delaership last week to have an additional key programmed to work with the car. I'm concerned that they erased my custom flash. The turbo doesn't seem to pull quite as much as it did before. The car is relatively new to me so I'm not entirely sure.

I'm reading up to 1.3bar at the upper range of the rpm. Does that sound stock or modified? I've never driven a stock so I'm not sure.
Hi,
That's Modded.
Standard is 0.6 to 0.7 bar.
It might well feel slower. They Could have reset the adaptive values. Done when disconnecting battery for instance.
If your flash was a good one chances are it has never pulled timing and might have adapted the other way with a bit more timing.
So if it has been reset it might take a while to get the best performance back again. I am assuming the change in performance you have noticed is not that great.
Frank.

Old 07-07-2010, 09:26 AM
Thanks for the replies. The change in performance is not dramatic which is why I wasn't sure. The car is still faster than almost anything else out there and the rest of the world seems to freeze when you push hard on the gas.

General comment - I bought my 04 996tt just a few weeks ago and I am already convinced that I will now always buy a used Porsche before a new anything else. This car makes my 35 minute commute feel too short!

Old 07-07-2010, 09:32 AM
btapp is a glorious beacon of lightbtapp is a glorious beacon of lightbtapp is a glorious beacon of lightbtapp is a glorious beacon of lightbtapp is a glorious beacon of light
What tune is it? 1.3 seems a little steep on a street gas tune.

Old 07-07-2010, 10:05 AM
I wish I knew the tune. It was done before I bought the car. I took it to a local Porsche performance tuner and they thought that it felt similar to a car that had an autotech tune, but that's the best I have.

It only gets to 1.3bar near the redline. Most of the time I am in the .6 to 1.0 range. I was recently having some missing problems, but those went away with new plugs and coil packs. I might end up getting a custom tune at some point, but everything is good enough now to leave it alone for a while. I'm in the "if it isn't broken, don't fix it" stage right now.

Old 07-07-2010, 10:06 AM
Frank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by btapp
What tune is it? 1.3 seems a little steep on a street gas tune.
Good point.
How did you know you had a tune.
1.3 bar is as btapp says is fairly high.
My 996tt has standard K16 turbos , a revo technic tune 100 cell sport cats and exhaust and peeks 1.0 bar 99 Octane fuel. Pushes about 530 Sbhp. (at crank).

Have you any info on the car.
Type of Turbo,. who flashed the ecu etc.
Frank

ps seems like our posts have crossed whilst writing LOL

Last edited by Frank ( Sunnyside ); 07-07-2010 at 10:30 AM.
Old 07-07-2010, 10:14 AM
landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !landjet Is a GOD !
bsprad, from another Marylander, it's hot here now. The hot outside ambient air raises the air temperature going through the intercoolers which affects boost and power. Higher ambient air also doesn't cool the intercoolers as fast as in cooler weather which also affects them negatively. Cooler air is denser air= more power.

Old 07-07-2010, 10:14 AM
I believe that the turbos are stock. It has Milltek headers, cats and exhaust. It also has the K&N filter. I don't know the hp at this point, but I'll probably get a dyno in the near future.

Do you guys think that the tune is too high for street fuel? Do you have any recommendations? I'm also concerned about the stock plugs in the engine and how long they'll last.

Old 07-07-2010, 10:16 AM
Originally Posted by landjet
bsprad, from another Marylander, it's hot here now. The hot outside ambient air raises the air temperature going through the intercoolers which affects boost and power. Higher ambient air also doesn't cool the intercoolers as fast as in cooler weather which also affects them negatively.
Good to see another Marylander. I haven't seen your car running around anywhere. I'm in the Baltimore area. It is amazingly hot right now and I agree that the small change in performance could be attributed to that. I'm probably too suspicious of the dealer but I just don't trust them.

Old 07-07-2010, 10:41 AM
XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !
Thanks for the replies. The change in performance is not dramatic which is why I wasn't sure. The car is still faster than almost anything else out there and the rest of the world seems to freeze when you push hard on the gas.

General comment - I bought my 04 996tt just a few weeks ago and I am already convinced that I will now always buy a used Porsche before a new anything else. This car makes my 35 minute commute feel too short!
Isn't it great..... "There is no substitute"

Old 07-07-2010, 11:06 AM
btapp is a glorious beacon of lightbtapp is a glorious beacon of lightbtapp is a glorious beacon of lightbtapp is a glorious beacon of lightbtapp is a glorious beacon of light
Bsprad, I would call and talk with a reputable tuner like EPL. Robin could probably help you out. It would be worth loading a tune that is identifiable vs. just guessing and smoking your engine. Just my .02..

Old 07-07-2010, 11:07 AM
Good to see another Marylander. I haven't seen your car running around anywhere. I'm in the Baltimore area. It is amazingly hot right now and I agree that the small change in performance could be attributed to that. I'm probably too suspicious of the dealer but I just don't trust them.
That's a large swing in boost 0.6 to 1.3 Bar. Too much for just weather conditions. Also to have boost rising near the red line is called "Inclining Boost"
This is more normally found on a car with manual boost control that is not set correctly. The 96tt has a "N75" control valve which should keep the boost to your flash level.( all things working correctly).
To be seeing 1.3 bar on standard K16 is Max Max. I'm surprised they are not going into over boost( free spin). very bad for turbos.
If your not sure I would get some one with a Durametric to:
1. check your boost, perhaps your gauge is defective.
2 Check your AFR and see how the car is fueling at the different boosts.
3 Check for general codes and problems.

Also have a check of your wastegates and actuators. Are they seized. Weird you are having such variations in boost??

Please keep us all posted,
Frank

Last edited by Frank ( Sunnyside ); 07-07-2010 at 11:11 AM.
Old 07-07-2010, 11:15 AM
FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !FAST FWD Is a GOD !
I agree with both Landjet and Sunnyside. I was at the track weekend before last, and my car was 10 mph slower at the end of the straightaway in the late afternoon when outside air temp was 96, compared to when the temp was 70 in the morning.

1.3 bar is definitely modified. As Frank says, you should definitely get a Durametric and log data for boost pressure, engine load, rpm, injector timing, ignition angle and O2 sensor lambda values. You'll then have a much better idea of what your car is doing. An experienced tuner could probably identify the tune from the data logs.

Jon

Old 07-07-2010, 12:07 PM
It sounds like I have problems that I didn't know about. The car is running well overall. Are there any symptoms associated with too much boost and improper AF mixture that I could look for?

I have only seen the 1.3 bar once and it was for a very short period. Typical driving yields up to about 1.0.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Custom ECU Flash Erase???