996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Seal Grey Color Match

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-02-2005, 01:39 PM
ColorChange is infamous around these parts
Seal Grey Color Match

I am not happy with the color match on my car and want to know if anyone else has any experience.

Please tell me what you had painted and how close the color match was.

My nose is especially far off (I had a full body kit installed). The nose is grayer and a lighter color than the hood, and doesn't have the purple tinge the factory paint often has.

TIA

Last edited by ColorChange; 02-03-2005 at 06:49 AM.
Old 02-02-2005, 08:23 PM
pdutta2000 is a splendid one to beholdpdutta2000 is a splendid one to beholdpdutta2000 is a splendid one to beholdpdutta2000 is a splendid one to beholdpdutta2000 is a splendid one to beholdpdutta2000 is a splendid one to behold
Tim...I had the GT3 front bumper and side skirts painted on my Boxster and the match is perfect. My car is Basalt Black so it's one of the toughest colors to match. My dealer told me to go to his shop and I'm glad I did. Seal Gray is probably just as hard as Basalt Black to match. You might need to find another shop.

Old 02-02-2005, 09:51 PM
02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute02barebones996 has a reputation beyond repute
usually when u paint fiberglass it doesnt match 100% with the factory paint on metal parts...

Old 02-02-2005, 09:55 PM
KPV
KPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really niceKPV is just really nice
Tim,
Let's see a photo..if it reveals the disparity.

Old 02-02-2005, 09:59 PM
Ken
Ken is a jewel in the roughKen is a jewel in the roughKen is a jewel in the roughKen is a jewel in the rough
Had wing and bumper painted with no problem. But then I don't worry much because I get enough rock dings because of all the construction/curbs that it's a semiannual paint trip....

Old 02-03-2005, 06:49 AM
Former Vendor
Eric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond repute
Sounds like your shop simply mixed and sprayed.

On urethane and fiber parts, you cannot use the factory mix - it is calculated for sheetmetal. When we paint rubber and plastics (mirror housings, bumperettes, side skirts, bumpers, etc) the mix has to be altered.

An on site visit to the shop owner is in order. They should have done spray outs on the 6B4/6B5 factory code, then matched it when they tested the bumper material.

Common problem with 'average' quality shops. They just don't go the extra mile to get it right.

Bummer. But it can be fixed.

Old 02-03-2005, 06:59 AM
The Newest "Bling King"
Gary (Fl) is infamous around these parts
If they paint the parts without having your car, your chances of matching are slim. They should do as Eric said.. At least if they are painting a wing or such and they send it out to be painted they should be sending the gas cap or something else with it to match up to.

I had similar problems.... It is all about the quality of work...

All you hear is "Oh that is a hard color to match" You hear that about almost every color when the shop did a crappy job matching...

I have heard that for SY, AS and SG.... It's like Eric says... If they go the extra mile it will match...

Old 02-03-2005, 07:09 AM
rockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond reputerockitman has a reputation beyond repute
Originally posted by Gary (Fl)
If they paint the parts without having your car, your chances of matching are slim.
Exactly. If the body shop does not insist on you leaving the car for matching purposes, you are using the wrong bodyshop...

Old 02-03-2005, 09:23 AM
They had the car the first time, and the second time for a month and it still isn't right. Eric, I'll give you a call as your stuff matched perfectly.

Old 02-03-2005, 05:18 PM
cab4kw is infamous around these parts
Wink

I have a seal grey TT also and very particular about color match. This is why I went through the trouble of mailing my Misha wing from west coast to Eric and back to west coast. $150 in shipping but worthit. Eric where is my wing.....can't wait

Old 02-03-2005, 06:07 PM
vipertestarossa is a jewel in the roughvipertestarossa is a jewel in the roughvipertestarossa is a jewel in the rough
I had a Techart fiberglass bumper and a Cargraphic GT2 fiberglass decklid painted speed yellow by my local body shop which I also do work for and the color match is perfect, they always shoot test panels prior to the parts being painted to get the match right

Tim, switch body shops!

Old 02-03-2005, 08:18 PM
Former Vendor
Eric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond repute
cab4....wing is primed (needed some work once we got started on it). Should be done shortly. First coats are on.

Old 02-04-2005, 11:03 AM
SHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud of
Tim, this is custom cars?? Don't they see the difference when you pointed it out to them?

Old 02-04-2005, 11:06 AM
Yes.

Old 02-04-2005, 11:07 AM
SHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud ofSHANKENFELTER has much to be proud of
What did they say?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Seal Grey Color Match