996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

What are the engine differences between 996 Turbo and 997 GT2 RS?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 05:57 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 9Eleven
Scott, doesn't 1.6 bar sound like a lot more than 620 crank hp?
Not with those tiny VTG turbos, it doesn't.

Old 07-12-2010, 05:59 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Divexxtreme
According to this, the rods, pistons and block are the same as what's in any other 996 or 997 Turbo or GT2:

Looks like all they did was use different ICs, intake manifold, increased boost and a tune:

Engine and powertrain
The high-performance engine of the new 911 GT2 RS is based on the bi-turbo engine of the 911 GT2 and thus features the following highlights:

• Flat-six bi-turbo engine, with 3.6 l displacement and intake manifold injection
• 2 turbochargers with variable turbine geometry (VTG)
• Camshaft control and valve lift adjustment with VarioCam Plus
• Expansion intake manifold
• Dry-sump lubrication with external engine oil tank
• Forged pistons and connecting rods
• Rear silencer and tailpipes made from Titanium

For the new 911 GT2 RS, the engine has the following features:

• New plastic expansion intake manifold
• New charge-air coolers with markedly improved efficiency
• Increase of maximum boost pressure
• Adaptation of engine control, including injection system and ignition
• Single-mass flywheel (911 GT2: dual-mass flywheel)

With these modifications, the new 911 GT2 RS gives the following improvements compared to the 911 GT2:
• Power output increased by 90 hp to max. 620 hp
• Torque increased by 20 Nm to max. 700 Nm
• Power output per litre increased by approx. 17% to max. 172.2 hp/l
• Weight-to-power ratio improved by nearly 20% to 2.21 kg/hp
I'd wager they modified the GT2 VTGs (which are in a larger housing than the TT.) Doesn't have the potential as some of the big boy turbos you guys are running, but mid to high 500 WHP is easily do-able even with 997TT VTGs.

It'll be interesting how it puts down power. The GT2 RS is meant for the track. Most of the modified VTG turbos that put down big power have a much higher boost threshold and greater lag than stock wheels.

bob

Old 07-12-2010, 06:08 PM
9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute9Eleven has a reputation beyond repute
Not with those tiny VTG turbos, it doesn't.
Engineering marvel that is.

Old 07-12-2010, 06:14 PM
Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !Divexxtreme Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 9Eleven
Engineering marvel that is.
Definitely. It's my absolute dream car.

Old 07-12-2010, 06:22 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Are you talking about the 3.8 DFI in the 997.2??

Because I'm pretty sure that everyone other than you clearly understood that I was talking about the 3.6L Metzger that's in the 996 and 997.1 cars.
Scott,

I read the post. There were no points after the numbers. The best way I could clear it up was to use the 996 and 997, tt, GT2, GT2RS or GT3 in particular year models.

I believe we have the same understanding. I am not sure everyone understandings what models the Metzger was discontinued in. Then again, maybe they do.

Old 07-12-2010, 06:30 PM
Originally Posted by cjv
Scott,

I read the post. There were no points after the numbers. The best way I could clear it up was to use the 996 and 997, tt, GT2, GT2RS or GT3 in particular year models.

I believe we have the same understanding. I am not sure everyone understandings what models the Metzger was discontinued in. Then again, maybe they do.
It honestly didn't occur to me that I would need to specify that I was referring to the 996 and 997.1 3.6 engines, rather than the completely redesigned 997.2 3.8 DFI engines.

But, you are correct that it may be confusing to a few members. Thank you for the clarification.

Old 07-12-2010, 06:38 PM
Mgib is a splendid one to beholdMgib is a splendid one to beholdMgib is a splendid one to beholdMgib is a splendid one to beholdMgib is a splendid one to beholdMgib is a splendid one to beholdMgib is a splendid one to behold
Scott,

What's your source? I'm not doubting it in the least, just wondering where you found it. The Excellence article was written by Chris Harris who has been racing with Walter Rohrl with the Porsche factory electric street car and did the 24 hrs at Nurburgring. My earlier post about the article quoted different pistons, intercoolers and turbos. Clearly, at this point it's nothing but conjecture till the factory tells us what's going on.

Either way, hell of a car!

Old 07-12-2010, 06:44 PM
germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !
In the future can we refer to the 3.8 Di by its rightful Porsche given name ( A91 series) sincerely yours

- Mr Technicality-

Old 07-12-2010, 06:48 PM
cjv
cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !cjv Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by germeezy1
In the future can we refer to the 3.8 Di by its rightful Porsche given name ( A91 series) sincerely yours

- Mr Technicality-
Many of the tuners and builders are referring to it as Porsche's new Japanese motor.

Old 07-12-2010, 06:50 PM
Mark -

Loren, the owner of Renntech posted it (posts #1 and #3). Looks like the info came from a press release from Porsche USA in May: http://www.renntech.org/forums/index...he-911-gt2-rs/

Anyway, you (Excellence) may be right. It may indeed have new pistons. But I would be surprised if it actually does. I mean, the standard pistons are already forged from the factory and have proven themselves good at over 1,000 HP. They certainly don't seem to be a weakpoint...

You are correct, however. It's all conjecture..and it is one hell of a car!

Last edited by Divexxtreme; 07-12-2010 at 06:53 PM.
Old 07-12-2010, 06:54 PM
Mgib is a splendid one to beholdMgib is a splendid one to beholdMgib is a splendid one to beholdMgib is a splendid one to beholdMgib is a splendid one to beholdMgib is a splendid one to beholdMgib is a splendid one to behold
Thanks.

Old 07-12-2010, 07:05 PM
germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cjv
Many of the tuners and builders are referring to it as Porsche's new Japanese motor.

Old 07-12-2010, 08:08 PM
tvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond reputetvr-4 has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks everyone, great stuff!

Old 07-12-2010, 08:32 PM
Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !Turbo Fanatic Is a GOD !
Don't see it as such a big achievement. My car makes 610 crank HP on 91 with 60lb injectors, intercoolers, small GT2860s and a Remus Exhaust on an otherwise mostly stock 996 fare @17.5 PSI.

I'm betting the GT2RS is under rated and makes closer to 680 HP. Anyone want to bet it makes high 5xx wheel HP?

Old 07-12-2010, 10:31 PM
Originally Posted by ari
Don't see it as such a big achievement. My car makes 610 crank HP on 91 with 60lb injectors, intercoolers, small GT2860s and a Remus Exhaust on an otherwise mostly stock 996 fare @17.5 PSI.

I'm betting the GT2RS is under rated and makes closer to 680 HP. Anyone want to bet it makes high 5xx wheel HP?

Agreed, please don't slap me but honestly I would love to see this car available with a PDK gearbox as an option. I wonder if the VTG's have higher flow housings or are different than the standard GT2 turbos.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What are the engine differences between 996 Turbo and 997 GT2 RS?