996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

HELP..Oil feed pipe

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 10:56 AM
996tbo is infamous around these parts
Hi Frank
update on my saga....Bushes would nut shift at all, so now the pump housing was off i got to work with a miniture grinder and started bit by bit cutting away at the bush.
Eventually got both removed from housing.made a small mark on one of them which i think was from the drill when i was working with the housing on the car. Cleaned it up and put some metal filler in which all looks ok.
Stripped the oil pump from the housing to clean debri out ( this again was a nightmare to move).
Now all is ok seals on order for pump reardy to rebuild.

May i use your knowlege again, there is another 2 pipes (oil) that run to turbos the small one i can see where it ends, but the larger one runs up the side of the engine where does this go/ and is the other end easyish to get off...
Oh guess what the other 2 pipes on both bturbos are siezed solid.
Cheers Tim

Old 07-12-2010, 12:12 PM
Frank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by 996tbo
Hi Frank
update on my saga....Bushes would nut shift at all, so now the pump housing was off i got to work with a miniture grinder and started bit by bit cutting away at the bush.
Eventually got both removed from housing.made a small mark on one of them which i think was from the drill when i was working with the housing on the car. Cleaned it up and put some metal filler in which all looks ok.
Stripped the oil pump from the housing to clean debri out ( this again was a nightmare to move).

May i use your knowlege again, there is another 2 pipes (oil) that run to turbos the small one i can see where it ends, but the larger one runs up the side of the engine where does this go/ and is the other end easyish to get off...
Cheers Tim
Hi Tim,
I'm just putting some stuff together for you now. Having my Tea and then I will post back in an hour .
Frank

Old 07-12-2010, 01:24 PM
Frank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond repute
Hi Frank

Cheers Tim
Hi Tim,
Seized pipes seems to be the norm.
Just check the seal face where the o rings push into are ok. Metal Filler uhm?? There are 2 o rings so...... Just check. The hole has to be a perfect circle or the rubber o rings might not seal. If in doubt have it sleeved.
the other 2 Pipes are:
1. Oil feed pipe. Thin pipe and runs above the coil packs and on the l/hand side goes to the top of the engine under where the MAF housing is. Its not a hard job but fiddly. Remember the pipe run as it is possible to put the new one back in the wrong place.
You will have to remove the Coil pack on No1 to maneuver the pipe.
2. The Other Pipe is the Vent line. it goes up the side and around the back of the engine. Do not remove this pip-e until you have string fastened to the end in the engine comp't. It is a real B**tch to put the new one back unless it is guided back in by pulling the string. I know it took me Hours.LOL
I had a picture of the pipe and where it runs too. Another member replied to my Help post and sent a picture. For the life of me I cant find it in my archives. If I do I will post it.
Needless to say its a doddle. The hardest part is the crappy hose clips used> You will have to find away of getting them of. Use Jubilee clips instead.
You have the engine dropped so look right at the farthest point on top of the engine away from the air filter. Right at the back you will see 3 hoses on a T piece. the right vent hose goes to the right turbo, lesf vent pipe to the left turbo. Get some body to pull the vent back and too and look where it moves. The right hand pipe is the shortest and by far the easiest to follow. once you have found that T your home and dry. There is a Stainless Tank Just behind the T piece.
I am really Peed off. I had a great picture of it.
Sorry but I am going to go for a while and have another good look.
Let me know if you understand so far.
Frank

Old 07-12-2010, 01:41 PM
Hi Frank

Yes understand what you mean.
The hole has not gone out of alignment and is a perfect circle. There was just one bit where the drill caught about 1mm deep / 3mm long.

This is what i filled. I cleaned all the holes with light emery paper and was not touched.
Are these high pressure return lines.

Old 07-12-2010, 02:03 PM
Hi Frank

Yes understand what you mean.
The hole has not gone out of alignment and is a perfect circle. There was just one bit where the drill caught about 1mm deep / 3mm long.

This is what i filled. I cleaned all the holes with light emery paper and was not touched.
Are these high pressure return lines.
To be honest I'm not 100% sure. I have looked in the Oil Supply diagrams and its hard to tell.I t could be a pre pressurised system?? IMHO I dont think so. Its funny thought one set of pipes have O ring seals and a bolt . The vets( which are under the same working conditions going to the Turbo Oil Tank) have standard hose clips holding them onto the T piece I have mentioned earlier. Also if the Oil Tank was pressurised it would impact on the oil seals in the turbo. The bearings are free sprayed and do not have pressurised oil ways. The oil must drain by gravity. Pressurising the Bearing housing is never good.
Evoslayer sent me pictures of the vent T piece so I have asked if he would send them again.
Frank.

Old 07-12-2010, 02:19 PM
Hi Tim,
Thai is one I can find but there is another. some where.
Courtesy of Evoslayer back in May.

ps
ok its not posted will try again

Old 07-12-2010, 02:21 PM
Ok again.

Attached Images  
Old 07-12-2010, 02:22 PM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Sunnyside
To be honest I'm not 100% sure. I have looked in the Oil Supply diagrams and its hard to tell.I t could be a pre pressurised system?? IMHO I dont think so. Its funny thought one set of pipes have O ring seals and a bolt . The vets( which are under the same working conditions going to the Turbo Oil Tank) have standard hose clips holding them onto the T piece I have mentioned earlier. Also if the Oil Tank was pressurised it would impact on the oil seals in the turbo. The bearings are free sprayed and do not have pressurised oil ways. The oil must drain by gravity. Pressurising the Bearing housing is never good.
Evoslayer sent me pictures of the vent T piece so I have asked if he would send them again.
Frank.
I think the oil is pulled through by a small gear pump located in the bottom of the water housing, putting oil back into the block.
Had this in bits today to clean any swarf from grinding.
My new pipes are coming Wednesday, i hope they will all fit ok.
I am going to remove the other two pipes each side tommorow with the string idea
Then see how i go to remove the turbos.
Have you heard of the K16/16g upgrade and know what it consists of.
Cheers
Tim

Old 07-12-2010, 02:33 PM
I think the oil is pulled through by a small gear pump located in the bottom of the water housing, putting oil back into the block.
Had this in bits today to clean any swarf from grinding.
My new pipes are coming Wednesday, i hope they will all fit ok.
I am going to remove the other two pipes each side tommorow with the string idea
Then see how i go to remove the turbos.
Have you heard of the K16/16g upgrade and know what it consists of.
Cheers
Tim
The oil is definitely pulled from the turbo oil tanks I am not sure if there is a constant background pressure as well. I dont think so thought.
K16 16g are a good all round turbo. They are a hybrid turbo. I wish I had gone that route. K24 18g is the way to go depending on the level of tune.
To be honest I'm not the right person to be asking about Porsche Turbos. Cosworth Yes from T28's to T4's but not KKK turbos.
There are loads and I mean loads of posts about turbo upgrades.
Try posing one asking " Is K16 16g the best way to go" or something like that maybe " Help required choosing my New Turbos."
Just tell the forum what it is you want and ask for advice.
Go for it...
Once I have the other photo I will post it.
There are 6 pipes in all and you will have to go to Porsche for them. They are typically expensive for poxy pipes, but dont worry its relative. There still not mega ££.
Frank

That's the hard bit done then. Removing the Turbos is easy. You wont have any problems apart form maybe the nuts being almost corroded away. I used a small precision chisel to remove what was left of the nuts.
That's the bit you can enjoy and see some progress.
Remember the N75 control pipes on the wastegate actuators.
Frank

Last edited by Frank ( Sunnyside ); 07-12-2010 at 02:38 PM.
Old 07-12-2010, 02:48 PM
The oil is definitely pulled from the turbo oil tanks I am not sure if there is a constant background pressure as well. I dont think so thought.
K16 16g are a good all round turbo. They are a hybrid turbo. I wish I had gone that route. K24 18g is the way to go depending on the level of tune.
To be honest I'm not the right person to be asking about Porsche Turbos. Cosworth Yes from T28's to T4's but not KKK turbos.
There are loads and I mean loads of posts about turbo upgrades.
Try posing one asking " Is K16 16g the best way to go" or something like that maybe " Help required choosing my New Turbos."
Just tell the forum what it is you want and ask for advice.
Go for it...
Once I have the other photo I will post it.
There are 6 pipes in all and you will have to go to Porsche for them. They are typically expensive for poxy pipes, but dont worry its relative. There still not mega ££.
Frank

That's the hard bit done then. Removing the Turbos is easy. You wont have any problems apart form maybe the nuts being almost corroded away. I used a small precision chisel to remove what was left of the nuts.
That's the bit you can enjoy and see some progress.
Remember the N75 control pipes on the wastegate actuators.
Frank
Yes good idea i will check actator pipes for splits.
I have posted a thread on turbo upgrades, but they all seem to be in America and wanting to run 700bhp +.
I will be happy at around 550 ish if i'm being honest.
I think the upgrade is just the compressor wheel allowing more air to be moved into the engine maybe wrong.

Old 07-12-2010, 03:19 PM
Yes good idea i will check actator pipes for splits.
I have posted a thread on turbo upgrades, but they all seem to be in America and wanting to run 700bhp +.
I will be happy at around 550 ish if i'm being honest.
I think the upgrade is just the compressor wheel allowing more air to be moved into the engine maybe wrong.
The K16 16g are Hybrid it means they have the K16 Turbine but use a modified compressor. I spoke to Vince ar CR but I decided to stick to standard For Now. I can have them moded at a later date.

I think if you go for the "Turbo S" turbos- K24's and a good tune, exhausts,cats and DV's and Gt2 inter coolers you will be in the 550 +mark. I have near 530 as it is with Revo Stage 2 Tune, 100 cell motor sports cats, Miltek Sports exhaust. 1.0 bar boost.99 Octane V power.
Frank

Old 07-13-2010, 11:52 AM
The K16 16g are Hybrid it means they have the K16 Turbine but use a modified compressor. I spoke to Vince ar CR but I decided to stick to standard For Now. I can have them moded at a later date.

I think if you go for the "Turbo S" turbos- K24's and a good tune, exhausts,cats and DV's and Gt2 inter coolers you will be in the 550 +mark. I have near 530 as it is with Revo Stage 2 Tune, 100 cell motor sports cats, Miltek Sports exhaust. 1.0 bar boost.99 Octane V power.
Frank
Hi Frank
All Turbos removed ready for CR to do their stuff, going for the modded ones which they don't call 16g's. Can't remember but they said should be good for 600hp with all other mods also.
Unbolted all the rest of the oil pipes ready to take off and done lots & lots of cleaning.
Put some new plugs in whilst access was easy.
Going to refit the water pump housing tomorrow whin new seals arrive, hope no leaks. Gave it a really good inspection and looks good.
The true test is when all back together and it fires up.

Old 07-13-2010, 12:13 PM
Hi Frank
All Turbos removed ready for CR to do their stuff, going for the modded ones which they don't call 16g's. Can't remember but they said should be good for 600hp with all other mods also.
Unbolted all the rest of the oil pipes ready to take off and done lots & lots of cleaning.
Put some new plugs in whilst access was easy.
Going to refit the water pump housing tomorrow whin new seals arrive, hope no leaks. Gave it a really good inspection and looks good.
The true test is when all back together and it fires up.
Hi Tim,
Well done. I like the idea of your uprated Turbos....I'm jealous.
Let me know how it all goes. I am genuinely interested. AS you know its only 2 months ago I had the same issues.
If I can be of any other help please dont hesitate to contact me.
Good luck.
Frank

Old 07-13-2010, 01:15 PM
Hi Tim,
Well done. I like the idea of your uprated Turbos....I'm jealous.
Let me know how it all goes. I am genuinely interested. AS you know its only 2 months ago I had the same issues.
If I can be of any other help please dont hesitate to contact me.
Good luck.
Frank
Thanks Frank, you have been a diamond. I will let you know how it all goes when i get turbos back.
Cheers
Tim