996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

I am adding oil every 1-2k miles...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 01:35 PM
SAVED4IT is infamous around these parts
The only comment that makes any sense to me is "How would you know how much to add?" Because if the engine is cold, you can't get an oil-level reading. In terms of adding oil when the engine is hot vs. cold, I doubt it makes much difference at all.

Old 07-14-2010, 02:43 PM
TekNiC3 is infamous around these partsTekNiC3 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by bsprad
I was using about 1 qt every 1000 miles with Mobil 1 0w-40. I recently switched to Mobil 15w-50 based on the recommendation by my tuner. I've noticed a decrease in oil consumption already, but I haven't yet been 1000 miles for a good comparison.
Making that switch as well.

Old 07-15-2010, 09:09 AM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by bad107
I am having to add oil every 1 or 2 thousand miles. I drive my car pretty hard (avg 10 MPG)...Is this normal?

Thanks!
Oil consumption can range from nil to 1 quart every 600 miles, according to info in the owners manual.

Given how agressive you appear to be driving the car having to add oil every 1K to 2K miles not that bad. Unless you tell me you're having to add quarts at a time.

My 03 Turbo bought with 9500 miles on it a year ago last June used up until recently 1 quart every 5K miles. I don't drive it agressively, averaging around 19 to 20mpg with mixed driving.

Have switched -- the last couple of oil changes (every 5K miles) -- to using Castrol Syntec 5w-50 oil.

A few weeks ago after an oil/filter service headed out on a road trip with around 35K miles on odometer. Engine used but 1 bar's worth of oil in around 4K miles of almost all highway driving. Before it'd use several bars' worth to the point I would have had to add maybe a quart by this time.

Then home not even 2 days and had to leave for another road trip from northern CA to just south of Seattle. On way back today and engine oil level unchanged.

It would appear the engine's oil consumption has improved with the miles. It is almost like the engine has not become "broken in". After 35K miles.

I had assumed at 9500 miles -- when I bought the car -- the engine broken in for better or worse and just drove the car as I would normally.

If you want switch to a different oil. I think 15w-50 oil probably not the best oil. I like the way Castrol Syntec 5w-50 oil appears to hold up -- passed through some 118F heat on way back home week ago and engine oil pressure remained nice and high all the time at every RPM -- and it is easier to find than Mobil 1 5w-50 oil (which I had to mail order).

In addition on the recommendation of my favorite Porsche techs I run a bottle of Swepco 502 oil treatment (oil additive with 200ppm moly antifriction compound) in the oil for some extra protection.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Old 07-15-2010, 07:35 PM
willieboy is a jewel in the roughwillieboy is a jewel in the roughwillieboy is a jewel in the rough
My 2001 has 8300 miles on it. It's bone stock. I have put 1500 on her in about a year. Had the oil changed when I bought it with Mobil 1 as recommended. Have used 1 1/2 quarts in 1500 miles. My tech says that's perfectly fine. I check it every time I drive it. Part of my cool down procedure.

Old 07-16-2010, 02:32 PM
04TTCab is infamous around these parts
Funny I saw this topic! Just added a quart to my 04. About 9000 miles on it and seems like it wants a quart every 1500 to 2000. Bought it with 4300 and had the 5k service and oil changed when purchased, this is my second 1 quart add.

Using Mobil 1 0-40.

How often should I change??? I know what the book says, but do most here do? Every 5K?

Thanks

Old 09-04-2010, 06:47 AM
frankie997 is infamous around these parts
i have a 2009 c2s that i bought new at the end of june. it now has 3500 mlies on it and i was about to change the oil this weekend. then i noticed the oil light on the dash. i just had to top it off with 1 1/2 quarts of 0-40. i believe the thinner is used faster. my wife's e350 4 matic wagon uses the same amount of oil. it has to be topped off between changes at 20k on it.
personally i like M1 0-40 used it in my Cherokee srt 8 as well

Old 09-04-2010, 10:01 AM
soothsayer is infamous around these parts
Porsche recommends 0-40 so i stay with it.... All things considered, they probably figure burning thinner oil is the lesser of two evils compared to potential problems associated with thicker (less burning) oil.

Old 09-04-2010, 10:13 AM
rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !rdss Is a GOD !
I use 0w-40 and add oil 1 Lt. every 650 miles,i drive hard my car.

Old 09-04-2010, 10:13 AM
PAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to allPAULUNM is a name known to all
Originally Posted by soothsayer
Porsche recommends 0-40 so i stay with it.... All things considered, they probably figure burning thinner oil is the lesser of two evils compared to potential problems associated with thicker (less burning) oil.
Mobil 1 5w50 is also on the approved list.

Old 09-04-2010, 10:25 AM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by PAULUNM
Mobil 1 5w50 is also on the approved list.

I friggin' HATE oil threads....

But some of the earlier comments in here about 15-xx and 20-xx oils caused me to post.

The reason Porsche specs a low cold viscosity number (this is the first number) is to avoid repetitive start up wear when the engine is cool. Even in Florida, 15 and 20 weight will cause wear.... For people in cold climates (ie Midwest) it will be MUCH worse.

If you want to lower oil use (this is an emotional desire, there is nothing wrong with burning a bit of oil) you need to raise the 'hot' viscosity.

IMO, 'Mobil One 5W-50' is a great choice. NOT 15W50. 5W50

(If it is a race motor and you'll rebuild it every other season, disregard my comments.)

A

Old 09-04-2010, 10:34 AM
jcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond reputejcb-memphis has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ard
I friggin' HATE oil threads....

But some of the earlier comments in here about 15-xx and 20-xx oils caused me to post.

The reason Porsche specs a low cold viscosity number (this is the first number) is to avoid repetitive start up wear when the engine is cool. Even in Florida, 15 and 20 weight will cause wear.... For people in cold climates (ie Midwest) it will be MUCH worse.

If you want to lower oil use (this is an emotional desire, there is nothing wrong with burning a bit of oil) you need to raise the 'hot' viscosity.

IMO, 'Mobil One 5W-50' is a great choice. NOT 15W50. 5W50

(If it is a race motor and you'll rebuild it every other season, disregard my comments.)

A

+1

I use Mobil 1 5w-50 (search, there is a thread here on a source or two....). No issues. Normal oil use per Porsche is less than 1 qt per 1000km. This issue has been hashed about many times. Oil use decreases with the 5w-50 and is an option. Another option, which used less oil than what I saw with 0w-40 is Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck labled 5w-40. It is at Walmart and just about any auto parts store.... It is often cheaper too. Perfectly fine in our engines. Other brands are fine if they are on the approved list....basically 5w-40 synthetic of high quality seems safe, castrol, elf, etc. Usually some Amsoil person chips in right about here about how superior it is, etc.... Whatever. I am truly feeling terrible about being so happy with my M1. Oh well. Standard oil thread. Panorama had a Joel Reiser article on oil and these engines and the heavier oil (15w+ for the first number) was a no no.

Note: I do use the approved list.

Jeff

Last edited by jcb-memphis; 09-07-2010 at 06:24 PM.
Old 09-07-2010, 04:05 PM
XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !
Using Pentosin 5W-40 per long-time Porsche tech/guru/shop owner suggestion. Working great so far.

Old 09-07-2010, 05:03 PM
ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !ttboost Is a GOD !
Porsche engineers designed an awesome car. I'm gonna go ahead and take their advice on oil too. Mine burns 1qt every 1500-2000 miles or so...fine with me. However, to the OP, your mileage sucks!!!!

Old 09-08-2010, 06:01 PM
ponzz is infamous around these parts
Im glad to hear this is normal as I am new to the Porsche world. I recently had the oil light come on and I almost had a heart attack. I put in two quarts of 5w30 which is all I had on hand. I assume two quarts of non-approved oil is better than low oil in general. I dont mind adding oil every 1k miles if it is normal to do so; cant imagine who would worry about the cost...

Old 09-08-2010, 06:46 PM
ard
ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !ard Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ponzz
Im glad to hear this is normal as I am new to the Porsche world. I recently had the oil light come on and I almost had a heart attack. I put in two quarts of 5w30 which is all I had on hand. I assume two quarts of non-approved oil is better than low oil in general. I dont mind adding oil every 1k miles if it is normal to do so; cant imagine who would worry about the cost...
Personally I would change your oil as soon as practicable.

As a rule you should not mix different oils as they have different additive packages and different chemistries...it is not just a potpourri of oil molecules!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: I am adding oil every 1-2k miles...